3 MONTHS DIAGNOSED AND HBA1C TEST = EXCELLENT CONTROL

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Ali H said:
Well done Grace, what was your HBA1C at diagnosis?

Ali

I don't know because I didn't think to ask, but the week I was diagnosed I bought a meter and started testing and all my FBGs were around 13 for a week or so but soon came down once I stopped eating carbs and the Metformin kicked in to curb my appetite.

Now I'm back at work for the first time since diagnosis, it's a new job and there's been a lot to take in and a lot of running from department to department so I'm much more active mentally and physically now. Problem is I'm forgetting to eat, the time passes so quickly, I work in a psychiatric hospital, there's never a spare minute and it's so easy to forget the mid morning and afternoon snacks and I need them more now, because I'm more active than before. Also, cos I'm new I feel a bit embarrassed having a munch at my desk because we're not supposed to eat in the office due to having to answer the phones within 3 rings.

I've had a couple of dizzy spells where I've felt as if my BG is low, so I don't feel I'm controlling as well now as I did when at home. Something I'll have to practice and get used to - balancing my food intake with my energy output. But I'll get there.

The answer for me I think would be a ready made protein shake but I don't know of any that aren't carb laden. :think:

unigirl

Well done Grace

I would also like to share my story and a question. Diagnosed mid Feb 2013 with hba1c of 70 this dropped to 60 two weeks later at confirmation test. Overweight and lacked motivation to exercise. Then the diabetes bomb shell.

I had my first 3 month hba1c test and chlosteral done yesterday. Nurse just called to say hba1c is now 34 and total cholsteral 3.7.

I have lost almost 3 stone in weight exercise every daily for at least half hour and watch what I eat and did not buy a monitor deciding to wait and see what this result brought. I opted for the low carb diet after finding this forum and have not looked back.

My question is AM I Diabetic. Nurse said will repeat in six months and if it remains stable then will consider removing diabetes diagnosis from my file. Is this correct ? Any info would be helpful.