3 months on from diagnosis

Nanny_B

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So today I got the results from my three monthly blood tests since being diagnosed with Type 2. Delighted to say my Hba1c has reduced from 97 to 47, and my cholesterol has come down to 3:2! I'm going to call in to my Drs for a full breakdown but just wanted to share my good news!
I take 4 Metformin plus a statin daily and have adopted the LCHF diet so it's working. Weight loss has been slow but I'm going in the right direction.
My Dr is really pleased with me and hass said just keep going and I have my next lot of bloods due in 6 months time.
It's been hard and I've had to adapt to changes, but it doesn't feel like the awful thing it did back in January. I'm a lot more positive and have accepted this it how it is for me now, and I'm more than ok with it. Xx

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Aww - you beat me - I only did 91 to 47 - and that is a low cholesterol level.
Well done on the LCHF diet - I love it, but for some people it is a great change in how they eat. I think we might have got the Big D beaten back, if not entirely defeated.
I am envious of you getting your doctors approval - mine didn't even want to see me. I suppose in some ways it is an acknowledgement of just how far I got - but I'd have just liked to have been told....

Reactions: KezG and Nanny_B

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Really well done. Great result and a reward for your hard work.

Keep it up

Reactions: Nanny_B

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done, what an excellent result. :)

When you get your cholesterol breakdown, study it, do your research, and decide if you should come off the statin. (3.2 is quite low for a woman)

Reactions: KezG and Nanny_B

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You are on a quite high dose of Metformin, so as your blood sugars reduce to normal level you should consider reducing this.

Statins have some serious side effects, so if your cholesterol numbers are OK you may not need these either.

Nanny_B

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks so much guys, I asked my Dr about coming off the statins and she said no way? She said I have to stay on them regardless of my cholesterol levels which I can't understand? She said they guard against heart attacks etc but surely if my levels are good I don't need them? I'll get my print out and then see what's what.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks so much guys, I asked my Dr about coming off the statins and she said no way? She said I have to stay on them regardless of my cholesterol levels which I can't understand? She said they guard against heart attacks etc but surely if my levels are good I don't need them? I'll get my print out and then see what's what.

Your nurse is defending the NHS position, but even that has changed now.

Reactions: LidiaS

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @Nanny_B
Well done and many congrats on your excellent numbers .. :happy:

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Unfortunately, lowering cholesterol does not reduce mortality. There may be a tiny benefit for heart disease, but it increases the risk of cancer. So, there is no benefit for being on statins for most people unless they have already had a heart attack.

The side effects of statins can be severe, including alzheimer like symptoms of memory loss and pain around the body. There is a thread in here about the benefits and bad side effects of statins. Over 50% of people who have tried them have a negative reaction and stopped taking them.

Heart attacks are not related to cholesterol levels. In the U.K. people who have heart attacks have lower cholesterol than average. This is the reverse of what many doctors think. Cholesterol is an essential component of every living cell. It is used to repair the body. The problem is inflammation in the arteries which cholesterol is trying to repair. This inflammation can be caused by carbs, especially grains. Cholesterol is like a fire engine trying to put out fires. Wherever you see a fire, you see the fire brigade, but it is not them that created the fire in the first place.

Reactions: LidiaS