3 months on

hca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello all.

Feb 7th is the day I was diagnosed type 2 diabetic with a hba1c of 52, was put on 2 x 500 mg a day of metformin and sent away.
At this point I was upset, angry and totally lost. Was never a big fan of sweets, biscuits and cake although I did like the odd bar of chocolate, ate a healthy low fat diet, with fruit and veg a plenty. So why me.?.
That day I stumbled on this wonderful forum (was actually looking for the other well known diabetic site in the uk), and how pleased I was, am, because from the start I was welcomed and guided by like minded people.
After reading around I started Lchf (against everything I believed). Cut all bread, rice,pasta,potatoes etc from my diet, suffered carb flu, but with good clear explanations and guidance continued.

Had my first lot of bloods done since diagnosis (a whole other posting) and finally got the results today.

Cholesterol down from 4.7 - 4.3
Hba1c down from 52 - 32
Weight loss 1 1/2 stone and dropped 3 dress sizes

As you can tell from my posts I am not wordy or elequant in my writings, but please take it from me when I give you all a big hug and my heartfelt thanks.

Am seeing my diabetic nurse on Monday and am telling her I no longer want the meds as I feel diet control is best for me.

Now I see the hard work starting in maintaining my position in the NON diabetic range and know with the help and support from this group I can and will do it.

Thank you all so much

Jo xxx

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Meat, meat substitutes and fish
Hello all.

Feb 7th is the day I was diagnosed type 2 diabetic with a hba1c of 52, was put on 2 x 500 mg a day of metformin and sent away.
At this point I was upset, angry and totally lost. Was never a big fan of sweets, biscuits and cake although I did like the odd bar of chocolate, ate a healthy low fat diet, with fruit and veg a plenty. So why me.?.
That day I stumbled on this wonderful forum (was actually looking for the other well known diabetic site in the uk), and how pleased I was, am, because from the start I was welcomed and guided by like minded people.
After reading around I started Lchf (against everything I believed). Cut all bread, rice,pasta,potatoes etc from my diet, suffered carb flu, but with good clear explanations and guidance continued.

Had my first lot of bloods done since diagnosis (a whole other posting) and finally got the results today.

Hba1c down from 52 - 32

As you can tell from my posts I am not wordy or elequant in my writings, but please take it from me when I give you all a big hug and my heartfelt thanks.

Am seeing my diabetic nurse on Monday and am telling her I no longer want the meds as I feel diet control is best for me.

Now I see the hard work starting in maintaining my position in the NON diabetic range and know with the help and support from this group I can and will do it.

Thank you all so much

Jo xxx

Well done that is a brilliant achievement.

Wilki.356

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey Jo

Well done, you took control and conquered.

Hope all goes well with your visit, keep up the good vibe.

Adam.

hca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thankyou all. I just wonder if I had followed the nnhs guidelines where would I be now. It's so wrong. X

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all.

Hba1c down from 52 - 32

Thank you all so much

Jo xxx

wow such a fine job you have done... congratulations , yes keep your nose in the track and keep posting in here to inspire others it is really a fine result better than most I have seen in here...be proud dear !!!!!

and thanks for your sweet hugs :)

hca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Good morning all, tomorrow is Monday and I have my first what I like to call proper appointment with the dn at my surgery. I only hope it is better than the one I received at diagnosis. Have already managed to review my blood results as you can tell from my original post and plan to discuss coming off meds which was the goal I set myself at diagnosis ( hate popping pills). Just wondering what to expect from this appointment. Maybe if I go in with low expectations then I won't be disappointed.

Jo x

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Hi Jo, extremely well done, I am so glad you found this site as opposed to the other one. One wonders why you were ever put on Metformin in the first place with such a relatively low initial HbA1c.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all, tomorrow is Monday and I have my first what I like to call proper appointment with the dn at my surgery. I only hope it is better than the one I received at diagnosis. Have already managed to review my blood results as you can tell from my original post and plan to discuss coming off meds which was the goal I set myself at diagnosis ( hate popping pills). Just wondering what to expect from this appointment. Maybe if I go in with low expectations then I won't be disappointed.

Jo x
Please let us know how it goes and very well done indeed on your superb results.
Great when you take control and your plan comes together so well.

hca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Your guess is as good as mine @Mbaker. I do know I recognised my symptoms very early on and tested both my urine and bg levels for a week before seeing GP, urine showed glucose and bg levels never fell below 19.4, at the time I was very unwell.

However onwards and upwards as they say.

I certainly will @bulkbiker,. Thank you

hca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So my appointment with dn finally arrived, she like I was ecstatic with my results, so I told her all about Lchf diet and asked to come off metformin. She stated that there were now 2 schools of thought
1. I stay on the metformin
2. That the thinking is that those in the pre diabetic range should go straight onto metformin.
Not sure what that had to do with me, so I stated my levels were in the non diabetic range and I believed it was down to diet.
Hope your all following this, she then stated that I was trying an untested diet with no scientific basis. At this point I just smiled and nodded. Finally we agreed that if the dr agreed I could stop the meds and have another hba1c in 3 months time.
All good so far, she then dip tested urine and was concerned that +++ketones were showing, so again explained Lchf and that my body was in ketosis etc etc etc, so she is sending urine off for Msu in case of infection!!!!!!!!, once again she explained I was going against conventional methods of managing my diabetes, so I said you have a lot of success with other people then.
She stated she did.
Anyhow, dn rang whilst in work and said I could stop metformin. Yippee, (was going to anyway), so.......
I cannot get complacent with my diet otherwise the nurse lovely as she is will say told you so,
So once again onwards and upwards.
Thank you all once more, still lots to do, although I am actually the healthiest I have been for years.
Once again apologies for my ramblings, xx

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Great result! Well done for getting your levels down so low and for getting off metformin with approval. You are inspiring me to try a bit harder to reduce my carb intake further and perhaps manage a non diabetic result.

grante

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done Jo. I'm 3 weeks in to being diagnosed and reading your post just makes me more determined to reverse my diabetes too

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Brilliant news, well done!

she then stated that I was trying an untested diet with no scientific basis.

I wonder where she got that idea from? William Banting (b. 1797) may not have been diabetic when he followed his low carb diet nearly 200 years ago but he had received the recommendation to low carb from a physician who had been attending a conference in Paris about the treatment of Diabetes and low carb diets.

she then dip tested urine and was concerned that +++ketones were showing, . . . . . . . my body was in ketosis

Yes it would be, that's the whole idea, it shows you're burning fat instead of carbs.

I was going against conventional methods of managing my diabetes,

You should recommend this conference in Manchester, https://phcuk.org/, some really good speakers. I seem to remember that there's a couple of GPs in the Manchester who have been given awards for the results they have achieved with diabetic patients and low carb diets, quite recently as well.

Anyhow, dn rang whilst in work and said I could stop metformin. Yippee, (was going to anyway),

You'll soon know if it was a bad idea, your trusty meter will tell you.

so ....... I cannot get complacent with my diet otherwise the nurse lovely as she is will say told you so,

I'm guilty of being complacent and I should have noticed that low carb was no longer working for me a lot sooner. Seems my body is happily converting protein and/or fat to glucose and it's very difficult to understand what's actually causing the ups and downs.

All the very best, stay on top of it.

hca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you all, I intend at the moment to stay Lchf, still have a bit of weight to shift, another stone to go.

@DavidGrahamJones i hope things get back on track soon, some insightful answers as always, thank you