3 Months since diagnosis

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My beautiful 14 yr old boy was diagnosed 3 months ago. It came as a total shock as he had no symptoms and it was a random medical for moving from UK to Canada that diagnosed it. At first I was so bloody angry (please excuse me language but it's how I felt). I didn't believe it could be true but mother's intuition proved me so very wrong. I cried my heart out every night when he went to bed. I spent my mornings praying to hear his footsteps (I didn't realise how it all worked and expected him to die if he left my sight). I was so angry, especially as he was the kid that had been bullied etc for no reason at all.

Here we are 3 months down, I still don't get it, I still don't understand fully the reasons why him but we are all dealing with it. My son, let's call him D, well he is fabulous. He deals with the blood tests and the hypos like a pro. He has sweep stakes at lunch and whoever guesses his bloods lost accurate wins. His class mates all know how to recognise his hypos and treat it accordingly but don't treat him differently.

We are currently dealing with the honeymoon period which is so hard to predict. We went from 20 at night and now are at 10 and from 10 insulin per 100g carb down to 2. it's still so confusing and still upsets me my child has this condition but, he takes it in his stride. I am beyond proud of how he deals with it all and I just wanted to say I think all of you type 1 people are true superstars. (I know nothing about 2 sufferers, so please excuse my inability to share my experience)

Reactions: azure and himtoo

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @broadshoulders
welcome to the forum !!:)

really pleased that your son is doing so well in coping -- that must help a small bit in how you cope.

there is a great bunch of T1's here if you or your son ever has any questions !!

Keep posting !!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome @broadshoulders You should be very proud of your son. A Type 1 diagnosis is a huge thing to deal with. Please do keep posting. Your words will resonate with many parents of Type 1 children.

Let me tag @mahola as she has a daughter with Type 1.

Wishing you and your son the very best :)

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @broadshoulders . Welcome to the forum. A great post and good to know your son is coping as he is.
One word that stuck out in your post.............. proud.
You should be proud and your son should have pride in his diabetes, acceptance can be hard, but once you accept the condition you can then take ownership of it.
Be proud to be diabetic, embrace it, control it and don't ever let it become more important than you.
Good luck.

Reactions: azure