35weeks-growth scan advice

marie85

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Looking for advice!...Just had a growth scan @ 35wks+0. Overall est due date is 10days ahead of predicted, growth is on the 84th centile & abdominal circumference is 92nd centile & weight 6lbs8oz). This is a jump from the 68th centile at 30/31weeks. Is this a huge jump?? It was only the sonographer at the scan & I'm seeing endo & obstetrics as usual early next week so no advice given (just "yes dear it's a big baby!!")What should I expect??

I'm gutted I'm measuring so high on the centiles, last Hba1c was 38 recently. 2weeks ago I had about 10days of insulin resistance - the worst period I've hit in the whole pregnancy-felt like I was constantly bolusing/correcting higher post prandials - started getting readings of 11/12/13mmol post meals that I hadn't had in ages. All my doses were constantly increasing however although I'm still on the higher doses, things have stabilized again thankfully and back within range . I did notice that I have to bolus much longer before I eat now to prevent these spikes- Nearly up to an hour.(from other threads I've been reading I've noticed this can happen).
My endo had wondered had a growth spurt/hormones been the reason for the dramatic increase in requirements & baby has definitely grown!!!!
I'd love to hear other people's experiences etc. I did post about being concerned about increased amniotic fluid a few weeks ago but everything looks good in that regard now. Really appreciate people taking time to reply and hopefully when I'm at the other side of it all I can be in the position to advise people in the future!!!x

Tilly_S

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Those growth scans arnt always v accurate , with my son he apparently was 7lb at 36 weeks and was told he would be huge ! I was induced at 38 weeks and he was only 7lb 3oz ! So he wouldn't of been 7lb at 36 weeks I'm now 31+2 weeks and due 32 week scan next thur and so far baby is on track but the real weight gain is to come around now ... I will not be at all worried if they say he's big they're just not accurate it's only a machine measuring .... over all of sugars are level 95% of the time then again I wouldn't worry overly as long as they're not sub stained :)
Iv noticed recently my carb ratio has really shot up ! And also am having to inject about an hour pre eating to stop so many highs ! Mine happen about 2-3 hours after eating I went to bed last night at 12 o'clock 5.2 and woke up at 3 am to 9.9 ... one unit got it down to 7.7 for 7 am but then after breakfast it shot up to 10.3... so I think I need to revised my carb count AGAIN ... the main thing that doesn't worry me is I test far too much so my sugars in the day arnt going to be up for more than an hour ... at night iv been doing hourly alwarms but havnt been waking this past week But that usually stops my highs .... no matter how much lantis I have I get dawn phenomenon in pregnancy so for me this works over testing and keeping an eye etc ...

All in all as long as they're not long term highs they won't have too much of a bad affect or so I'm told My hba1 is 31 and I get a few short terms highs
Don't know if this is any help but thought I'd post just because I relate :)

Reactions: marie85 and azure

marie85

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Those growth scans arnt always v accurate , with my son he apparently was 7lb at 36 weeks and was told he would be huge ! I was induced at 38 weeks and he was only 7lb 3oz ! So he wouldn't of been 7lb at 36 weeks I'm now 31+2 weeks and due 32 week scan next thur and so far baby is on track but the real weight gain is to come around now ... I will not be at all worried if they say he's big they're just not accurate it's only a machine measuring .... over all of sugars are level 95% of the time then again I wouldn't worry overly as long as they're not sub stained :)
Iv noticed recently my carb ratio has really shot up ! And also am having to inject about an hour pre eating to stop so many highs ! Mine happen about 2-3 hours after eating I went to bed last night at 12 o'clock 5.2 and woke up at 3 am to 9.9 ... one unit got it down to 7.7 for 7 am but then after breakfast it shot up to 10.3... so I think I need to revised my carb count AGAIN ... the main thing that doesn't worry me is I test far too much so my sugars in the day arnt going to be up for more than an hour ... at night iv been doing hourly alwarms but havnt been waking this past week But that usually stops my highs .... no matter how much lantis I have I get dawn phenomenon in pregnancy so for me this works over testing and keeping an eye etc ...

All in all as long as they're not long term highs they won't have too much of a bad affect or so I'm told My hba1 is 31 and I get a few short terms highs
Don't know if this is any help but thought I'd post just because I relate :)

Hi Tilly_S and thanks so much for your reply. I was back at my clinic yesterday & both endo & obstetrics don't appear concerned at all!!...they said once it wasn't reading on >95/97th centile at this stage then they were happy. Obstetrics are letting me go to 39wks and induction then if I haven't gone before! They said I'm looking at an 8 1/2-9lb baby at this stage so they're happy!?!
Like you said the scans are only a machine and that's what the doc said to me yesterday that it's only one measurement that they use/can use & would have been more worried if I was bigger earlier on in pregnancy etc. Back to them at 38wks so I'll likely be given induction date then hopefully! Think I got some Braxton hicks last night but i'm not sure-felt like a very strong period cramp quite low down - is that what it feels like?! Happened around 2am and 4am but getting up to go to bathroom got rid of it!!

Best of luck with your scan tomorrow, I'd love to know how you got on. Thanks for reply :) x