4 things I learned reversing prediabetes

Chuckannuck

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Here are four things I learned reversing my pre-D. Hope this is useful. Usual caveats apply. In other words, I'm a data point, not a doctor.

1. Type 2 diabetes can be reversed. This was the big discovery that started me on a new journey after over 5 years struggling with the standard medical approaches. Dr Sarah Hallberg's TED talk on youtube snapped me out of my stupor and I went from there. Took me about 4 months to get things settled down -- only because I didn't know what I was doing and hadn't found DCUK at that point.

2. Once I got the hang of it, low carb was a snap. Again, your mileage may vary, but my experience with low carb was different from all my past experiences with starve/re-gain dieting. Felt better after the first week or so.

3. I started low carb to get off meds, but I've stayed because I enjoy doing life healthy. My fasting blood glucose went from 6.5 - 7.0 down to 4.8 - 5.5 which got me off metformin. But the surprise was that this change in eating turned out to be the key to turning around stuff like elevated blood pressure (which I had considered a separate somewhat unrelated issue), eliminating cravings and improving energy and mood.

4. I now have a healthier relationship with my own health and with my family doctor.
- I take full ownership for my own health (instead of being on cruise control and assuming my family doctor had the answers and that I could take prescriptions and go about life as usual.)
- I have my own food rules, based on Dr Hallberg's TED talk rules.
- I now see my family physician as A doctor/adviser, not THE doctor/guru/order-giver.
- I listen carefully to the advice I get, always keep things respectful and ask questions to clarify evidence and effectiveness before I decide what to do or not do.
- I research and ask questions (including the DCUK forum.)
- I have a T2D virtual medical board, who's writings I refer to.
- I keep a med log so I have my own record of what's working and what's not, since that is the ultimate yardstick.

Last edited:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Taking informed control of one's health is certainly empowering, isn't it? Well done.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

VioletViolet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Here are four things I learned reversing my pre-D. Hope this is useful. Usual caveats apply. In other words, I'm a data point, not a doctor.

1. Type 2 diabetes can be reversed. This was the big discovery that started me on a new journey after over 5 years struggling with the standard medical approaches. Dr Sarah Hallberg's TED talk on youtube snapped me out of my stupor and I went from there. Took me about 4 months to get things settled down -- only because I didn't know what I was doing and hadn't found DCUK at that point.

2. Once I got the hang of it, low carb was a snap. Again, your mileage may vary, but my experience with low carb was different from all my past experiences with starve/re-gain dieting. Felt better after the first week or so.

3. I started low carb to get off meds, but I've stayed because I enjoy doing life healthy. My fasting blood glucose went from 6.5 - 7.0 down to 4.8 - 5.5 which got me off metformin. But the surprise was that this change in eating turned out to be the key to turning around stuff like elevated blood pressure (which I had considered a separate somewhat unrelated issue), eliminating cravings and improving energy and mood.

4. I now have a healthier relationship with my own health and with my family doctor.
- I take full ownership for my own health (instead of being on cruise control and assuming my family doctor had the answers and that I could take prescriptions and go about life as usual.)
- I have my own food rules, based on Dr Hallberg's TED talk rules.
- I now see my family physician as A doctor/adviser, not THE doctor/guru/order-giver.
- I listen carefully to the advice I get, always keep things respectful and ask questions to clarify evidence and effectiveness before I decide what to do or not do.
- I research and ask questions (including the DCUK forum.)
- I have a T2D virtual medical board, who's writings I refer to.
- I keep a med log so I have my own record of what's working and what's not, since that is the ultimate yardstick.
Thank you , I needed something to motivate me today. I've lost track somewhat and needed a kick up the backside. Will have a look at that talk you recommend.

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Watching Sarah Hallberg's TED talk on youtube (see link in my signature) got me started on LCHF and helped me get my blood glucose down from 9.8 to around 6.5 in a few weeks. She clearly explains how the different food types (carbs, protein, fat) affects blood sugar and that there are no "essential carbs" needed in our diet. The other major influence for me is the work by Jason Fung on intermittent fasting and reversing type 2 diabetes.

Having a clear understanding of how food affects your body is a great help in maintaining low blood glucose and losing weight. Having sorted out my blood glucose, my recent interest is in the long term complications of diabetes (heart disease, stokes and dementia) and their causes. My current understanding is that these are associated with blood glucose spikes which cause inflammation in the arteries. Alzheimers may be caused by high levels of insulin following glucose spikes. My personal opinion is that cholesterol and dietary fat have little to do with the likelihood of heart attacks and strokes. I think that long-term health and wellbeing is not just about having a low A1C figure, but also about avoiding glucose spikes.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can't agree enough with everything you have put.. great results and someone of the same mindset as myself. Brilliant... well done!

Watching Sarah Hallberg's TED talk on youtube (see link in my signature) got me started on LCHF and helped me get my blood glucose down from 9.8 to around 6.5 in a few weeks. She clearly explains how the different food types (carbs, protein, fat) affects blood sugar and that there are no "essential carbs" needed in our diet. The other major influence for me is the work by Jason Fung on intermittent fasting and reversing type 2 diabetes.

Having a clear understanding of how food affects your body is a great help in maintaining low blood glucose and losing weight. Having sorted out my blood glucose, my recent interest is in the long term complications of diabetes (heart disease, stokes and dementia) and their causes. My current understanding is that these are associated with blood glucose spikes which cause inflammation in the arteries. Alzheimers may be caused by high levels of insulin following glucose spikes. My personal opinion is that cholesterol and dietary fat have little to do with the likelihood of heart attacks and strokes. I think that long-term health and wellbeing is not just about having a low A1C figure, but also about avoiding glucose spikes.

Looks like you have things firmly under control. I am just starting to take LCHF seriously and thought you might enjoy watching “ Ivor Cummins “ you tube video “ The cholesterol conundrum “ it gives a really in depth explanation of the dangers of Insulin in excess. It’s a bit data heavy but in my opinion simply brilliant !

Reactions: OrsonKartt