48 and just (provisionally) diagnosed

PhilBat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all

Two weeks ago I had an asthma health check and my BP came back too high. Standard blood tests followed and I got a bit of a shock when I was asked to see the Diabetes nurse. Long story short my tests came back 7.2 mmol/l. I've known for a week and since radically overhauled literally everything - diet, exercise, everything. All the refined sugars gone and watching carbs closely. Its early days but doing my best to balance meals. Actually really enjoying healthy food although my wife is concerned I'm overcompensating. I guess it'll take a little time to get the balance right.

Now what concerned me was that the nurse said I didn't fit the typical profile for Type 2. Up until about a year ago I was 16 stone (6 foot tall) which has now dropped to 14 (so she saw me when I was a bit slimmer than before, and its ALL on the belly), I have elevated cholesterol and BP, and my mother has had type 2 for about 13 years. Diet controlled until recently, and she's on the metformin now. Seems to me I have all the major risk factors for type 2 in a nice tidy bundle, but the nurse mentioned something called Type 1.5 or LADA.

Got to back in 2 months for more bloods and this is making me anxious. I have literally no symptoms, my eye health check last Oct showed nothing, and my last bloods in Jan 2015 showed nothing. There's so much information out there that its become a bit overwhelming, so now I'm obsessed with whether my blood sugars will go up and I'll be in trouble with this Type 1.5 thing.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

Two weeks ago I had an asthma health check and my BP came back too high. Standard blood tests followed and I got a bit of a shock when I was asked to see the Diabetes nurse. Long story short my tests came back 7.2 mmol/l. I've known for a week and since radically overhauled literally everything - diet, exercise, everything. All the refined sugars gone and watching carbs closely. Its early days but doing my best to balance meals. Actually really enjoying healthy food although my wife is concerned I'm overcompensating. I guess it'll take a little time to get the balance right.

Now what concerned me was that the nurse said I didn't fit the typical profile for Type 2. Up until about a year ago I was 16 stone (6 foot tall) which has now dropped to 14 (so she saw me when I was a bit slimmer than before, and its ALL on the belly), I have elevated cholesterol and BP, and my mother has had type 2 for about 13 years. Diet controlled until recently, and she's on the metformin now. Seems to me I have all the major risk factors for type 2 in a nice tidy bundle, but the nurse mentioned something called Type 1.5 or LADA.

Got to back in 2 months for more bloods and this is making me anxious. I have literally no symptoms, my eye health check last Oct showed nothing, and my last bloods in Jan 2015 showed nothing. There's so much information out there that its become a bit overwhelming, so now I'm obsessed with whether my blood sugars will go up and I'll be in trouble with this Type 1.5 thing.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

It seems most likely that because you were not currently obviously overweight your nurse probably swallowed the" all T2 are over weight " and thus mentioned LADA. You will probably find after two months of low carbing all your measurements move into the normal range - worry about it after you've done that not before ! life is too short to spend it worrying !

Reactions: al_leister

PhilBat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks CherryAA. Doing my best. To be honest the anxiety (another of my exciting medical conditions, I get anxious about anything) is more of a hassle than the diagnosis which I can handle.

How long does the diet / exercise regime take to show results ? Lost about 6 lbs since the tests. Just wonder if its worth getting a monitor or its waay too soon.

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Welcome Philbat
I'm not knowledgeable enough to comment on your post but just wanted to say hello......

Tony

PhilBat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Tony

Good to be hear. Not a big internet guy so its great to know there are so many friendly people and so much support out there.

Phil

cpea

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @PhilBat. Been there recently too, diagnosed 6 weeks ago. Def worth doing what you're doing with diet, make sure it's sustainable though! Everyone here is super helpful, everyone's different and some have had super results really quickly, others have taken a longer route. I understand anxiety completely- ironically stress can raise bs levels. Perhaps working on that could help?

Reactions: Debzz_

PhilBat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi cpea

Anxiety has always been a huge issue for me - family trait I'm afraid. Funnily enough this all started because I got a high bp reading as I was so anxious going to the doctors. I do my best to keep that under control, although part of it is due to my serotonin deficiency issue. The rest I think is because its all new and overwhelming I'm getting info overload and just assuming the worst will happen. Tending to have bad mornings and better afternoons right now.

First follow-up appointment is a week tomorrow so hopefully talking to me new diabetic nurse should help. She is very nice and friendly, but said they give it all to you up front so you know.

Definitely feel better with the new diet and thanks for the advice about keeping it sustainable. Its tempting to just go all out!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Get a monitor. It is the only way you can see how your numbers are behaving and how your changes are working.
Try not to get too anxious, whatever type you are you can do this!

Reactions: azure

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome,

To answer your question about getting a meter - YES you do need one and the sooner the better. Using this properly will help you formulate a diet that is suitable and sustainable without any guess work. Test immediately before you eat and again 2 hours after first bite. Any rise will be down to the carbs you just ate. The aim is to keep the rise down to below 2mmol/l and preferably lower. Keeping a food diary including portion sizes and recording these levels alongside is the best way to learn.

PhilBat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Diakat and Bluetit1802

Many thanks for the advice. I'll go to the pharmacist this afternoon and get some advice on the best one to get. Hopefully once I can see the actual changes it'll allow me to relax a little. At the moment its all just numbers.

Again, thankyou

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Diakat and Bluetit1802

Many thanks for the advice. I'll go to the pharmacist this afternoon and get some advice on the best one to get. Hopefully once I can see the actual changes it'll allow me to relax a little. At the moment its all just numbers.

Again, thankyou

Be careful when choosing a meter. It isn't the cost of the meter that is important, it is the cost of replacement test strips. You only need one meter. You need many thousands of strips. All meters have to pass the same accuracy standards laid down by law before they can be marketed. The two with the cheapest strips are the Codefree and the Tee2. Neither of these are available from pharmacies as far as I know.

Try here for the Codefree meter
http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips
http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk and don’t forget to check the box that you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free.
5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833

The Tee2 is available from Spirit Healthcare http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/ and the meters are free.

Reactions: wolfie53 and Diakat

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome @PhilBat :)

There are tests that can help,determine your diabetes type. A GAD test looks for the antibodies associated with Type 1. You may very well not be LADA at all (it's just late onset Type 1) but it's good that your nurse has it in mind as something to,rule out, as not all surgery staff are as aware of this possibility.

So think about her mentioning it as a positive thing :) It means you're getting good care :)

PhilBat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Many thanks - its good to know what kind of thing to be looking for. Seems from what you're saying that close blood sugar monitoring is mandatory.

PhilBat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes, my nurse is excellent. Like many people my age I assumed that it was Type 1 you were born with and Type 2 was acquired, but that is obviously far too simplistic. Its good to know that things have come on a long way and there is so much out there for support. I'd never even heard of LADA.

Not sure why it is more of a anxiety-causer to me - maybe as its something new I wasn't expecting. The waiting for the tests and results is the worst thing.

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
Many thanks - its good to know what kind of thing to be looking for. Seems from what you're saying that close blood sugar monitoring is mandatory.
Hi Phil I was diagnosed 5 weeks ago with a shocking level of 15 and above ( yes I felt very poorly) my levels are now down to your diagnosis level on fasting so a good improvement but obviously work in progress.
Testing is good but I would advise to only test when necessary as this will only make your anxiety worse . Wishing you well

PhilBat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks Debzz_

I think half the time I'm fighting my brain's need to be irrationally anxious for the sake of it! It would probably help if I knew my lifestyle changes were bringing down my bg, and because I have no symptoms I can't really judge by those going away or improving.

Dreading doing my bloods in two months in case I go up and they tell me I have LADA or Type 1!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The waiting for the tests and results is the worst thing.

Agreed. This is known as being in the "Waiting Room" and causes more anxiety than the results themselves. I tell myself that if results are going to be bad worrying will never change that. Nothing can. On the other hand, they may be good.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was a full fledged type 2 diabetic when diagnosed and went straight back to low carb - now my medical 'team' has no further interest in me. My numbers were heading for normal after 80 days, and my Hba1c was then lower than yours.
Whatever your type, in these early days eating low carb will reduce the strain on your metabolism, until your tests are done.
You could feel a whole lot better for doing so - most 'ordinary' people feel more energetic and happier for making the change.
Even if you do not lose lots of weight - it is your choice, you should see your waistline reducing. Mine is down about 6 inches, and I can bend so easily now where before I just did not fold at all.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it is time to tag @daisy1 for her excellent information for newly diagnosed.

Have a good read of her post and follow the links.

PhilBat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The funny (well, not so funny) thing with my anxiety is that even knowing the facts I still get anxious. Any sort of medical issue triggers it off. This goes back decades - in my 20s I was a basket case and only since I've been on AD meds and therapy has there been an improvement.

My diagnosis literally mirrors my mothers, except she had hers at 68 not 48, and she was at 9.5 fasting blood sugars. She got told she was 'not fitting the profile' as well. But she's been happily diet controlled for 11 years and has only just gone onto meds.

I kind of hope it goes that way. Type 1 or LADA seem way scarier than Type 2.