48 and just (provisionally) diagnosed

PhilBat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have to say even after only a couple of weeks on the new regime I feel better. Certainly don't feel tired or hungry, and I've dropped from 14.5 to 14. Nice sustainable weight loss numbers, but annoying as I just bought a pair of jeans with a 36 waist and they're already too loose!!! Now all I really need to know is if my diet is bringing down my sugar, and I'll probably be able to manage the anxiety better.

Maybe go to pharmacist and get a quick test ?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe go to pharmacist and get a quick test ?

There isn't a lot of point as it would be a random test that tells you very little. Testing needs to be organised and routine at certain times of the day. You would be better just ordering your own meter. They are very quick to arrive, although we do have the Easter weekend ahead of us so delivery will be slower. If you really want to visit a pharmacy for a test, go on an empty stomach is my advice.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Everything is in your favour - detected early, and levels not drastic - my BG level at diagnosis was 17.1 - about 10 whole number higher than you, and the Hba1c of 91 - so you might have to be aware of diabetes for the rest of your life, but it is controllable, and although it will not go away in the sense of your being able to deal with carbs again, life eating low carb can be most enjoyable.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@PhilBat

Hello Phil and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you need to and someone will try and help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 147,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. They're all free.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why :)
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

PhilBat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Ok, that makes a lot of sense.

Even the numbers are confusing me to be honest. So a fasting blood glucose test of 7.2, that's in mmol/l, right ? I hate maths. And chemistry.

PhilBat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
That is so reassuring Resurgam, I appreciate that. Things like that do wonders for my anxiety, especially from someone who is experiencing the same thing. I actually did a quick Hba1c converter on diabetes.co.uk and 7.2 mmol/l comes in at 'on target' at 43.6 mmol/mol which seems OK. I think. ? I don't even know what any of that means apart from 7.2 is diabetes.

What do all these mols mean ?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The mols confuse everyone, and then add to that the American units, which are completely different, and then the old way of measuring, which some labs in the UK still use.

In the UK:
All the following are the same level

A fasting venous blood test taken by the doctor will be in mmol/l (7.1mmol/l)
Any test taken on a home glucose meter will be in mmol/l (7.1mmol/l)
The diagnostic HbA1c test will be in mmol/mol if it is in the newer measurement units (43mmol/mol)
If it is in the old units it will be expressed as a percentage. (6.1%)

As we have many members from other countries posting numbers, some of these will be in totally different units and cause many of us confusion!

As your initial test was just a fasting venous test it isn't a definitive diagnosis of diabetes of any sort, which is why you are going to have some more tests to confirm one way or the other. You need an HbA1c test before a diagnosis can be given. There are loads of factors that affect a fasting test, and they include exercise, stress, rushing about and so forth. Just leaving the house and getting to the surgery is likely to raise levels, which is why it isn't used on its own as a diagnostic test. The HbA1c measures your average levels over the previous 2 to 3 months. The other diagnostic test is an oral glucose tolerance test (you drink Lucozade) but this isn't likely to be one you are having.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, my nurse is excellent. Like many people my age I assumed that it was Type 1 you were born with and Type 2 was acquired, but that is obviously far too simplistic. Its good to know that things have come on a long way and there is so much out there for support. I'd never even heard of LADA.

Not sure why it is more of a anxiety-causer to me - maybe as its something new I wasn't expecting. The waiting for the tests and results is the worst thing.

Anyone getting a diabetes diagnosis would be anxious :) But you're not alone and you shouldn't worry too much.

You're quite right that knowledge about Type 1 isn't widely spread. In fact, nobody is born with Type 1, it's something that develops in childhood or adulthood. Usually it comes on quicker in young children and more slowly in older adults.

Not every medical person uses the term LADA. My consultant doesn't. She just calls it Type 1.

You've mentioned weight loss above. That can sometimes be a symptom of Type 1, if it's sudden and unexplained weight loss, so that may be why your nurse mentioned Type 1/LADA.

I imagine the uncertainty about what type you are isn't helping your worries, but as long as you're being looked after well, then you shouldn't worry about it :) Whatever type you are, there are plenty of people here to support you :)

PhilBat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Many thanks for the clarification.

Its really interesting what you say about the diagnostic criteria - I have been told I have diabetes based solely on the blood glucose results form the fasting test. I thought that was, as they say, that. I wish GPs surgeries were a bit better on the managing anxiety thing - sometimes just dumping info on a person and letting them back out into the wild isn't the best.

That said my nurse was very good, but frustrated she only had 20 mins. I scheduled another appointment so we can discuss in more depth.

Reactions: azure

PhilBat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Azure

Yup, its an anxious time but at least as the nurse said I know the worst up front. She gave it to me straight. Shape up and get the message, it looks good. Keep in the way its going, you could well be facing significant health issues.

And you're right, this site is brilliant for support. I'm a convert, definitely. Its really helped not only with my understanding but my underlying anxieties as well. My anxiety 'floats' and tends to attach itself to whatever thing is going on at that time. It just so happens to be this right now. In reality I can handle the medical implications, so as my counsellor says I am 'adjusting to changes'. And I think this site is really helping for support in a way you can't necessarily get from GPs and nurses, even though they do their best.

I tell you what, I wish that weight had just fallen off. Its been a deliberate solid year of hard work, exercise and diet just to get down from 16 to 13 12. Then it went back up to 14 6 and now back to 14 again. And I still got diabetes.

Reactions: azure

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You've had a lot of good feedback so far. Your nurse sounds really on the ball and I wish my diabetes GPs had been so knowledgeable - they had never heard of LADA or Late onset T1. Based on the fact that your weight was on the high side earlier i.e. 15 stone I would suspect you are T2 and that as your weight continues to become balanced and with the low-carb diet that your blood sugar will stay good with just the diet?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Its really interesting what you say about the diagnostic criteria - I have been told I have diabetes based solely on the blood glucose results form the fasting test.

A fasting glucose test on its own is not a reason for diagnosis. It is a warning that further tests are needed to confirm or deny matters. You are going to have these soon. When those results are known, you will know where you are. Until then it is all speculation, but a possibility and your nurse was preparing you. Rest assured you are being well looked after.

Meanwhile, do try to get a meter. When you do, we will help you use it properly.

Keep posting, and keep us informed.

PhilBat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Many thanks for all your advice Bluetit1802. I will ask for the specifics about testing when I have my first follow-up a week tomorrow. I am wondering if my nurse has jumped the gun a little as my surgery is very hot on prevention over cure.

I shall go home and have a nice relaxed Easter thanks to the support I've had from this forum. Just for the alone I will keep posting.

PhilBat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi. You've had a lot of good feedback so far. Your nurse sounds really on the ball and I wish my diabetes GPs had been so knowledgeable - they had never heard of LADA or Late onset T1. Based on the fact that your weight was on the high side earlier i.e. 15 stone I would suspect you are T2 and that as your weight continues to become balanced and with the low-carb diet that your blood sugar will stay good with just the diet?

Hi Daibell

Yup, this forum and you guys have both been amazing. I feel a lot better re my anxiety. Sometimes its easy to get caught up in things and feel isolated.

I was talking to my Mum and she said exactly the same happened to her - didn't fit the profile etc etc. She's been type 2 for around 11 or 13) years I think and has only just started metformin. I have a feeling I'm following that same pattern, like yourself just based on my weight (it hit 16 stone top whack) and the sheer volume of chocolate I used to eat.

Have a great easter!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Many thanks for all your advice Bluetit1802. I will ask for the specifics about testing when I have my first follow-up a week tomorrow. I am wondering if my nurse has jumped the gun a little as my surgery is very hot on prevention over cure.

I shall go home and have a nice relaxed Easter thanks to the support I've had from this forum. Just for the alone I will keep posting.

Are you suggesting you ask your nurse about the specifics of testing? Excuse me while I laugh. If she follows the NHS guidelines she will tell you not to test at all. (with excuses such as sore fingers, it isn't necessary unless on insulin because you won't get a hypo, won't understand the numbers, will cause stress/anxiety, and others. The real reason is cost - if we were advised to test they would be obliged to prescribe the means to do it, and the NHS won't pay the price. There are a very few lucky T2s not on insulin or very strong medication with prescribed meters and tests. Sorry!

Enjoy your Easter - no chocolate eggs though :arghh:

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Everything is in your favour - detected early, and levels not drastic - my BG level at diagnosis was 17.1 - about 10 whole number higher than you, and the Hba1c of 91 - so you might have to be aware of diabetes for the rest of your life, but it is controllable, and although it will not go away in the sense of your being able to deal with carbs again, life eating low carb can be most enjoyable.

I echo that - I had an opening hba1c at 91 in august 2016 , my latest test was 37 last week. iI have a 24/7 monitor and I'm currently showing levels around 4.5 for a lot of the day with only minor blips on (low carb) food . No medications
the food is great too - dinner avocado with red salmon and may ! brekfast duck egg on spinach, lunch crab salad, - all in all great food !