5:2 - Type 2 On Metformin Or Diet Only

ExChocoholic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude, loud people
Has anyone with type diabetes tried Dr Michael Mosley's 5:2 diet - I am looking to start it but wondered if supplementary food drinks can be used on the diet days. Or any other relevant info please

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone with type diabetes tried Dr Michael Mosley's 5:2 diet - I am looking to start it but wondered if supplementary food drinks can be used on the diet days. Or any other relevant info please

I haven't done it myself, but several posters have. I don't believe you need to take any supplements, provided your diet is fairly OK, although I haven't read the book either.

If you're intending to do the diet in order to trim up a bit, it would seem potentially counter-productive to add extra food in, routinely.

Obviously, I could be quite wrong.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You could always try eating nothing on the non eating days. but then again I am a fasting believer..
I think with the Moseley diet in the 2 days you are supposed to stay under 500 calories..I'm sure meal replacements would work fine.
If you low carb high fat on the other 5 days then you should be great on the diet (in my opinion).
Why not try it for a couple of weeks and see how you go.
There is lots of info on fasting in the fasting sub forum.

Reactions: 2 people

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
If you low carb high fat on the other 5 days then you should be great on the diet (in my opinion).
Why not try it for a couple of weeks and see how you go.

Definitely try it, but watch the high fat bit, it doesn't suit everybody, my BG increases and I gain weight. I also know that my body does not metabolise fat properly.

Reactions: kokhongw

elaineadams

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
I use the 5:2 diet, and in all honesty on the "starvation" days (500 cals if I remember...that's what I base mine on), I find more than enough extremely low calorie foods in the salad department...you can eat a whole bag of salad leaves for 10 calories, no carbs, a whole cucumber, 10 calories, no carbs, tomatoes, beetroot, peppers (any colour), radishes...if you put a good portion sized mix of that lot in a bowl with some herbs (basil, thyme, mint, oregano, coriander and some black pepper) give it a good mix, and add a couple of boiled eggs, you have a filling meal for about 150 calories, and then for another meal, you could do something like a steamed bit of fish, chicken or even a quorn fillet on a bed of kale, with two serving spoonsfuls of mixed vegetables. A whole bag of chopped kale is only 10 calories, no carbs. Michael Mosley also has a 5:2 diet book with some superb recipes. I don't do my two days together unless my calander is too busy. I usually do 3 days normal, one day "starvation", I find it works better, is more of a routine, and if you have broken the routine because of illness or holiday or family commitments, it is easier to pick up 3 days normal and 1 "starvation". Remember you are looking at the nutritional value as well as the carbs and cals.

ExChocoholic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude, loud people
I use the 5:2 diet, and in all honesty on the "starvation" days (500 cals if I remember...that's what I base mine on), I find more than enough extremely low calorie foods in the salad department...you can eat a whole bag of salad leaves for 10 calories, no carbs, a whole cucumber, 10 calories, no carbs, tomatoes, beetroot, peppers (any colour), radishes...if you put a good portion sized mix of that lot in a bowl with some herbs (basil, thyme, mint, oregano, coriander and some black pepper) give it a good mix, and add a couple of boiled eggs, you have a filling meal for about 150 calories, and then for another meal, you could do something like a steamed bit of fish, chicken or even a quorn fillet on a bed of kale, with two serving spoonsfuls of mixed vegetables. A whole bag of chopped kale is only 10 calories, no carbs. Michael Mosley also has a 5:2 diet book with some superb recipes. I don't do my two days together unless my calander is too busy. I usually do 3 days normal, one day "starvation", I find it works better, is more of a routine, and if you have broken the routine because of illness or holiday or family commitments, it is easier to pick up 3 days ?normal and 1 "starvation". Remember you are looking at the nutritional value as well as the carbs and cals.

SUPERB! many thanks as I really did not have a clue! Wonder what you eat on the 5 days, obviously one cannot go overboard on the 'normal eating' days?

ExChocoholic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude, loud people
I am looking to lose around 10 to 12 pounds as my gained weights tummy fat, I quit smoking around 10 months ago and my BS gone to pot, apparently this is a known result of giving up the evil weed! Then my husband had issues with his eyes that resulted on endless hospital visits, eating habits went to pot eating like a non diabetic. Picking myself up and dusting myself down :) hence diet, mainly aimed at lowering BS.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am looking to lose around 10 to 12 pounds as my gained weights tummy fat, I quit smoking around 10 months ago and my BS gone to pot, apparently this is a known result of giving up the evil weed! Then my husband had issues with his eyes that resulted on endless hospital visits, eating habits went to pot eating like a non diabetic. Picking myself up and dusting myself down :) hence diet, mainly aimed at lowering BS.

Well the best way of bringing down your BS is Low Carb... but you don't need me to tell you that as you have been here for a while. Intermittent fasting is another string to your bow. I would really recommend not eating for a couple of days a week to give your system a break from insulin production (a la Jason Fung). I have got my best results while not eating. Once you are LCHF adapted you should find you don't even get especially hungry.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.

One of the first books and diets I tried and found it helpful:)

Further reading and discussion in here pushed me to even tighter carb restriction.

My Dr wanted me on Metformin, but I resisted and so he tried an alternative approach - SUPPORT:).

I am T2 no meds and now in "remission". Hard work but well worth the effort for me.

Reactions: Serena51

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a couple of months on the 5:2 just to give the weight loss a hurry up. I took multi vits on the VLCD days, and now take them everyday.
What I did learn, the hard way, is that the instruction to take metformin with or after meals means meals! So on the 2 days of low cals I didnt take the meds because 600 cals doesnt count as a meal as far as metformin is concerned

magsiesss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who drive with fog lights on when its only a bit of mist
I am going in .... or rather, I will be starting this 5:2 malarky tomorow as exercise and change of diet is not enough for me to lose any weight - despite it helping my BS results.

Thanks for the tip @walnut_face - I shall bear that in mind (ie no Metformin tomorrow morning - just as well its either one or two Mets a day!).

magsiesss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Week one done ... I actually lost 1.5 kg (first weight loss since April despite changing eating habits). Not only did I lose weight, but my blood levels have been stable despite less Metformin.

Continuing this - Week 2 starts today.

Reactions: Ruth26

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Week one done ... I actually lost 1.5 kg (first weight loss since April despite changing eating habits). Not only did I lose weight, but my blood levels have been stable despite less Metformin.

Continuing this - Week 2 starts today.
Well done.. that's a good start..

Reactions: magsiesss

jonbvn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've been on 5:2 IF coupled with LCHF and quite a bit of daily exercise for the last 7 weeks. As of this morning, my weight has dropped nearly 14kg. This may seem a bit extreme, but I have never felt better, I have more energy and sleep far better.

Over the 7 weeks I have observed the following:

1. After a fasting day my FBG is on average 10% lower than normal.
2. I usually fast on Monday and Wednesdays. I find that over the weekend periods my weight is quite steady. After the Wednesday fasts there is usually a significant drop.
3. Fasting on LCHF is far easier than on a carb heavy diet.

ExChocoholic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude, loud people
Thanks for sharing that. I don't have much weight to lose - just as well as I don't seem to be losing it! I think I have to really apply myself with exercise etc. They say walking, gardening and housework is enough - doesn't work for me.

ExChocoholic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude, loud people
Not getting those BS down! Need to more vigilant on carb in take.

ExChocoholic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude, loud people
Thanks Walnut - I guess I want instant success.

magsiesss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks Walnut - I guess I want instant success.

I know the feeling.

I had been doing the 5:2 for a couple of weeks and felt sure I would have lost weight as I had been very good (for me) ... together with the walking and water aerobics ... was not happy when in week 3 I had actually put on a kilo ....

ExChocoholic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude, loud people
Oh dear Magaiess, not inspiring in the weight department - I guess a couple of weeks is not enough - were you being goodish on non fast days? Essentially - how are your BS levels?