5 diets to avoid (apparently)

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The British Dietetic Association (BDA) has just declared war on several diets, two of which fall into the LC category
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-42264838
Absolute tripe. Gwynnie is certifiable and as for Katie Price.... Well done the BBC for having photos of those two to endorse the fact that the diets quoted are 'celebrity'. What an absurd article. What hope is there for clarity and common sense to try and educate the general population when a supposedly august body such as the BDA comes out with this. On the other hand, perhaps it's the BBC's view of the world....

Reactions: dbr10

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Absolute tripe. Gwynnie is certifiable and as for Katie Price.... Well done the BBC for having photos of those two to endorse the fact that the diets quoted are 'celebrity'. What an absurd article. What hope is there for clarity and common sense to try and educate the general population when a supposedly august body such as the BDA comes out with this. On the other hand, perhaps it's the BBC's view of the world....

It isn't just the BBC, it is all over the papers too. It looks like the BDA has published its opinion to all the media.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, i laughed out loud several times reading that. Especially when Malhotra pointed out the BDA's Food industry funding sources, and when the BDA claimed that all their advice is rigorously evidence based.

Hilarious. :D

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
>The British Nutrition Foundation agrees, saying that a traditional Mediterranean diet typically includes pasta and rice at every meal.

Breakfast too?

>She said by not eating carbohydrates, you avoid eating the calorie-laden things that generally accompany them: "If you're cutting out carbs, such as pasta, you're cutting out creamy sauce. If you're cutting out bread, you're cutting out butter. If you're cutting out biscuits, you're cutting out sugar."

I truly hope that she is more intelligent than this statement suggests.

>Also, by removing whole grains from your diet you're depriving your body of many vitamins and minerals.

AND they are?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Look who they are best mates with

Screen Shot 2017-12-08 at 16.02.42.png

and watch out us.. their New Years resolution is

Screen Shot 2017-12-08 at 16.03.27.png

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
It's constantly two steps forward, one back. As more and more people find that reducing carbs leads to health improvements the word will continue to spread, though in the next week or so, expect somebody to tell you that all you need to do is drop the celebrity fad diet, with all its dangerous real food, and go on a starvation strawberry shake diet to put you in the peak of condition.

Yes, I laughed at the BDA/Sian Porter piece too. I think they do something like this every year around Christmas.
Sally

Reactions: woodywhippet61

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Look who they are best mates with

View attachment 24656

and watch out us.. their New Years resolution is

View attachment 24657
Look who they pooh pooh too
http://doctoraseem.com/
No proper mention of who he is in their article. only that he is connected to the Obesity Forum, like he is some quack. He is an eminent consultant heart surgeon at Frimley NHS.

Edit to add: His twitter feed has been attracting serious threats and trolling as a result of this article. This is sad for someone who is dedicating his life to save others.

Last edited:

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I remember he had a discussion on breakfast tv with the same dietician group and they got an awful drubbing. Obviously this is their only way of paying him back. What is criminal is that these "non-quack-quacks" are funded from our taxes and take money fromother parts of the NHS

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
from the article at the top of the page:

Dr Malhotra, a cardiologist and adviser at the National Obesity Forum, said:
"One has to question the financial links and influence of various food companies on the BDA. In my view, they cannot be trusted as an independent source of dietary advice."

In response to this, a BDA spokesperson said: "The analysis we release is always based on evidence and is unaffected by the important relationships we have with the nation's food producers.

'important relationship' says it all. Do they really think we believe that they would be getting money from important sponsors to tell people to not buy food from said sponsors?

I just saw a pig fly past on a huge snowflake.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Number 6 in the Working Relationship actually scares me. I am pro choice and 6 makes me think 'conspiracy'.
A vegan diet is a valid way of life for those that choose to adopt it, and it has its place for consideration like other diets. Whether it is better than other diets is a moot point, and when there are claims that it will cure Diabetes or cancer then my hackles rise. Those of us here in the Forum must realise that we have a special and biassed interest in diets, and that this colours our thinking in a way that often opposes what may be quite applicable to the general public at large. For the BDA to take up promotion of veganism is not an evil, but it needs to be offered rather than pushed as a cure all for obesity. It is just another tool that will suit some but not all.

It seems to be perfectly possible to be vegan, and still adopt the principles of an LC diet and even LCHF so we should be able to accept it here as a viable tool as well. When the WFPB brigade start making claims fot their way if life being of special benefit to a diabetic, then I will resist with vigour since there is absolutely no recognised scientific basis for their HCVLF diet working, and it is IMHO quite dangerous for T2D to adopt as a way of life at the extreme level they propose,

I personally will not be using a vegan diet, but certainly my LC diet has a significant increase in vegetable foods and healthy oils etc, so I am not anti-vegetarian. But a purist macrobiotic diet is another matter.

Reactions: lucylocket61

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
A vegan diet is a valid way of life for those that choose to adopt it, and it has its place for consideration like other diets. Whether it is better than other diets is a moot point, and when there are claims that it will cure Diabetes or cancer then my hackles rise. Those of us here in the Forum must realise that we have a special and biassed interest in diets, and that this colours our thinking in a way that often opposes what may be quite applicable to the general public at large. For the BDA to take up promotion of veganism is not an evil, but it needs to be offered rather than pushed as a cure all for obesity. It is just another tool that will suit some but not all.

It seems to be perfectly possible to be vegan, and still adopt the principles of an LC diet and even LCHF so we should be able to accept it here as a viable tool as well. When the WFPB brigade start making claims fot their way if life being of special benefit to a diabetic, then I will resist with vigour since there is absolutely no recognised scientific basis for their HCVLF diet working, and it is IMHO quite dangerous for T2D to adopt as a way of life at the extreme level they propose,

I personally will not be using a vegan diet, but certainly my LC diet has a significant increase in vegetable foods and healthy oils etc, so I am not anti-vegetarian. But a purist macrobiotic diet is another matter.

My point was that I am pro choice. If someone chooses a particular ethos regarding their diet then they should be at liberty to do so even if their choices do not align with mainstream attitudes. Where my concern lies is with a kind of 'ganging up' of groups with the sole purpose of negating the beliefs of a different group especially when one of the gangs is totally at a position of educating millions of individuals. My hackles rise whenever I perceive that my choices are in danger of becoming curtailed.

Reactions: Crystalwand

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The most ridiculous part of their "logic" is that "fad" diets like Pioppi, Paleo, Keto etc are "restrictive" and lead to nutrient deficiencies. Yet vegan diets have a health halo. Talk about hypocricy :rolleyes:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The most ridiculous part of their "logic" is that "fad" diets like Pioppi, Paleo, Keto etc are "restrictive" and lead to nutrient deficiencies. Yet vegan diets have a health halo. Talk about hypocricy :rolleyes:
How many times can I agree with this one...absolutely spot-on Indy!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.

It seems to me that in the modern day (let's say the last half century or so) that all the different dietary choices by the vast majority of people on this planet have not shown immunity to at least part of the population of people developing Type 2 Diabetes. In short, there are vegetarians with the condition, vegans with the condition, meat eaters, pescaterians etc etc within all groups there are those who go on to develope T2. We may not be fully cognizant about the causes of our condition, though we have a pretty good working theory, but one thing binds us all in that we make decisions on how we choose to combat the disease based on our own beliefs. For one section to demonise another is wrong but can be ignored, when groups join forces to
negate the ethos of others is bullying a point across. It also seems to me that this happens in other areas of human behaviour such as religion or politics but that is an area for another forum.

Edited to include missing word.