5 diets to avoid (apparently)

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The most ridiculous part of their "logic" is that "fad" diets like Pioppi, Paleo, Keto etc are "restrictive" and lead to nutrient deficiencies. Yet vegan diets have a health halo. Talk about hypocricy :rolleyes:
As an ex-hippie, I used to live in Communes and shared living space with people on so called healthy vegan diets mainly whole food macrobiotic bean poppers. In my experience they tended to be the most unhealthy individuals, pasty faced, sniffly and unfit in most respects. I saw a video of a WFPB symposium, and the presenters there were virtually anorexic in appearance. I am not convinced in the efficacies of this type of diet, expecially when taken to extremes.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It seems to me that in the modern day (let's say the last half century or so) that all the different dietary choices by the vast majority of people on this planet have not shown immunity to at least part of the population of people developing Type 2 Diabetes. In short, there are vegetarians with the condition, vegans with the condition, meat eaters, pescaterians etc etc within all groups there are those who go on to develope T2. We may not be fully cognizant about the causes of our condition, though we have a pretty good working theory, but one thing binds us all in that we make decisions on how we choose to combat the disease based on our own beliefs. For one section to demonise another is wrong but can be ignored, when groups join forces to
negate the ethos of others is bullying a point across. It also seems to me that this happens in other areas of human behaviour such as religion or politics but that is an area for another forum.

Edited to include missing word.
I agree that diabetes is not limited to any particular dietary style. Indeed, the BDA recommended diet is showing that it too is unable to fix diabetes or obesity, and the general populace seems to be suffering as a consequence. As someone who has used diet to bring my weight and diabetes into control, then for me choice of diet is extremely important. The BDA diet would not improve my life expectancy or even its quality.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My two grandchildren are vegans (aged 19 and 22). I watched the younger one make some lunch today. A bowl of couscous topped with an array of chopped up roasted vegetables and mushrooms. It looked OK to me, but generally speaking her diet is very carb heavy.

Davie_sett

Type of diabetes
Type 1
the vegan diet does seem popular with cyclists and endurance athletes who need allot of carbs to perform well it would have to be done right though be to much hassle for me and i like alcohol to much. apparently its not a diet or so they say anyway.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I tend to think David Gillespie is right about dietitians selling us out - maybe they'd be the starting point for a class action suit? Charge them for the medical issues they've caused to so many?

http://davidgillespie.org/are-dietitians-selling-us-out/
Im no great believer in conspiracy theories. I know from experience that mainstream dieticians do not have any / enough of the answers Relevant to my dietary needs but I would never adhere to a claim that they hold no relevance for anyone or that they have “sold out” which implies rather malign intentions rather than a knowlege base of limited applicability.
I also instinctivly distrust websites like Gillespies where the first thing you see is a big picture of one of his 17 books linking to how to pirchase his books
Having worked in mental health services for many years, I also thought the comments on his site regarding psycopaths are a tad bizzare

Last edited:

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Im no great believer in conspiracy theories. I know from experience that mainstream dieticians do not have any / enough of the answers Relevant to my dietary needs but I would never adhere to a claim that they hold no relevance for anyone or that they have “sold out” which implies rather malign intentions rather than a knowlege base of limited applicability.
I also instinctivly distrust websites like Gillespies where the first thing you see is a big picture of one of his 17 books linking to how to pirchase his books
Having worked in mental health services for many years, I also thought the comments on his site regarding psycopaths are a tad bizzare
I agree. As someone picking and mixing my way through several ailments linked to dietary implications it seems to me that every dietary regime has a huge "does not fit mantra" sized black hole. I am only beginning my nutrition course but the more I learn the more it seems the blame waving finger is pointing in the wrong direction in several instances and it would need both parties to the discussion to have an open mind and less ideological no go areas before we can truly tackle some health care aspects. My sister works in mental health and she needs and deserves several hugs daily so; hugs to you.

Reactions: Boo1979