6 weeks travel with insulin

Kikeena_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have had type 2 diabetes for 10 years but 3 days ago started on insulin. Tomorrow I take off from Australia for 6 weeks in Europe and I'm concerned. How do I keep the insulin cool? How do I manage my BG on a 22 hour flight? And any other thoughts you may have.
Many thanks in advance.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Kikeena_
Welcome to forums.
I am not able to answer your question, but bumping up your thread to attract attention of those who may be able to advise.
Best wishes, I hope you have a good time travelling.

justadad

I have had type 2 diabetes for 10 years but 3 days ago started on insulin. Tomorrow I take off from Australia for 6 weeks in Europe and I'm concerned. How do I keep the insulin cool? How do I manage my BG on a 22 hour flight? And any other thoughts you may have.
Many thanks in advance.

Hi, see if you can get one of these: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetic-products/frio-wallets.html or anything similar. Have fun in Europe!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Many thanks in advance.

I use the Frio wallet mentioned above.

Do NOT put your insulin in the hold - keep it in your hand luggage.

Take at least twice as much testing strips and insulin as you think you'll need.

Take a doctor's letter to show Security that you're diabetic and carrying insulin and sharps.

Make sure your travel insurance covers your diabetes as a pre-existing condition.

Have a lovely time :)

Kikeena_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @Kikeena_
Welcome to forums.
I am not able to answer your question, but bumping up your thread to attract attention of those who may be able to advise.
Best wishes, I hope you have a good time travelling.
Thanks for bumping. This is scary but the sugars are declining but in a controlled way.
And thanks so much for the info. I'll look at it when I get back,esp the low carb diet. Wish I had a Frio wallet!