60 YEARS ON INSULIN IS IT A SUCCES YEP

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
GOOD MORNING WORLD
yes thats
me 27 /8 /1957 ON this day 1 was admitted in west suffolk hospital old ww2 huts with DIABETES .u
jug of salt water to drink every day ,blood test taken by ear and ten drops of water and 5 drops of pee to see what sugar was in my body
DIXON OF DOCK GREEN 65 special and THE LONE RANGER where on tv ON SAT NIGHTS stayed in hospital till jan 1958 then up to london hospitals that have saved my life are as follows WEST SUFFOLK diabetic , ADDENBROOK , transplant WEST SUFFOLK dialysis unit dialysis HULL dialysis CANTERBURY dialysis so thanks NHS
AM I LUCKY YES but the biggest thanks is too my wife my 2 son all my work s mates and bosses
also me for being positive and groups like these forums
yep , thank you world and people
60 years on insulin thanks BANTINE AND BEST AND THE DOGGY
VIC

Last edited:

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Fabulous post @vic hill Lovely to hear your memories of being a type 1 :)

Reactions: ziggy_w

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Dixon of Dock Green. Now there's a blast from the past. Very well done, Sir. What an amazing story.

IJP66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done Vic

I would imagine there have been so many changes in

Needle sizes. and types
testing your blood
insulin types

I was diagnosed 26 years ago when I believe insulin pens were just starting to replace syringes where you had to draw the insulin from bottles

Reactions: ziggy_w and Snapsy

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Crikey how did I miss this one???????
@vic hill apologies for missing this post, when an exceptional post turns up, that proves someone has done something extra special I like to award them an official " top banana of the day award" You sir definitely deserve that award.
A bit late in the day but nonetheless you are TODAYS TOP BANANA.
@Snapsy . Well spotted. Thank you.:)

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Wow!!! That is absolutely amazing. Can I ask how old you were on diagnosis? Being away from your family must have been very difficult.

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Wow!!! That is absolutely amazing. Can I ask how old you were on diagnosis? Being away from your family must have been very difficult.
i was 12 years old
but i tell you what.
as my mother suffered with nerves and in an out of hospitals poss due to me being born .
it was in a way great learning for me in the smoggy london town and the trolley buses to but with 20 other boys and 20 girls in palingswich house
you learn to grow fast
thanks vic

Reactions: ziggy_w and Freema

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@vic hill apologies for missing this post, when an exceptional post turns up, that proves someone has done something extra special I like to award them an official " top banana of the day award" You sir definitely deserve that award.
banana s 25 grams but thank any way keep on the good work of awards vic

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well done Vic

I would imagine there have been so many changes in

Needle sizes. and types
testing your blood
insulin types

I was diagnosed 26 years ago when I believe insulin pens were just starting to replace syringes where you had to draw the insulin from bottles
you are correct steele needles 30 mm in length glass syringe wee test blue for good orange mad bad o heck 3 types of insulin no mobile phones no laptops but did go to a school in shepards bush london fun but strict smogs trolley buses my old mans car morris 8 top speed 50 mph vic

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
amazing post @vic hill
well done you -- I tip my hat to you sir !!

Madmaureen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
GOOD MORNING WORLD
yes thats
me 27 /8 /1957 ON this day 1 was admitted in west suffolk hospital old ww2 huts with DIABETES .u
jug of salt water to drink every day ,blood test taken by ear and ten drops of water and 5 drops of pee to see what sugar was in my body
DIXON OF DOCK GREEN 65 special and THE LONE RANGER where on tv ON SAT NIGHTS stayed in hospital till jan 1958 then up to london hospitals that have saved my life are as follows WEST SUFFOLK diabetic , ADDENBROOK , transplant WEST SUFFOLK dialysis unit dialysis HULL dialysis CANTERBURY dialysis so thanks NHS
AM I LUCKY YES but the biggest thanks is too my wife my 2 son all my work s mates and bosses
VIC

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
yes banana s are good until you look at the carbs 20--25 grams but as everybody on this site knows we all import imp on nearly every aspects of the lack of insulin food insulin sleeping walking every one of use are total total different and CAN NOT BE PUT IN BOXES by any company so we have to sort us and only us out good luck vic

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
GOOD MORNING WORLD
yes thats
VIC
You got me beat - I was diagnosed in 1966 - haven't experienced any complications as of yet - keep my fingers crossed - nice to see someone on the forum that has been living with Type 1 longer than I have - All the Best! And it was fun testing urine to see if your kidneys were spilling sugar - when you dropped that tablet in the test tube and the chemical reaction took place it was like doing a mad experiment - it was a big hit for my non diabetic friends LOL :)

Reactions: Crystalwand

iHs

You got me beat - I was diagnosed in 1966 - haven't experienced any complications as of yet - keep my fingers crossed - nice to see someone on the forum that has been living with Type 1 longer than I have - All the Best! And it was fun testing urine to see if your kidneys were spilling sugar - when you dropped that tablet in the test tube and the chemical reaction took place it was like doing a mad experiment - it was a big hit for my non diabetic friends LOL :)

Snap.......there's loads of us about all well and not dead in our coffins. My brother thought it very entertaining watching my urine fizz up in a test tube and change colour. I was glad when Gillette did 5/8 in disposable luer needles so that I didn't have to re use the steel needles with my Rocket syringe.

Reactions: Crystalwand