7day fast blood glucose readings

Troubled1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm at it again. I'm 24 hours in but have to decide if I'll go 7 or 14 days this time. Between thanksgiving and a week in Vegas, my diet (and weight) took a hit. My weight this morning was 196lbs and my fasting bg was 8.1 I did go camping on the weekend and may have over indulged with the alcoholic beverages. My usual fasting bg is usually between 5.9-7.3 so I'm hoping this fast will help.

Reactions: Freema

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
While the fast is important...according to Dr Valter Longo's research on fasting...the refeeding holds the key to cells regneration.

Troubled1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Monday my fasting bg was 8.1
Yesterday it was 6.7
Today it was 6.2 oddly my bedtime bg’s have only been slightly higher than my bg’s in the morning (.1-.3mmo/l

Although we all know ketostix aren’t too reliable, I use them everyday at around noon to see if I’m spilling ketones. Monday there was nothing. Yesterday? Nothing. Today? A moderate reading.
I never did like day 3 of fasting and today is no exception. I have had a headache so I’ll be have some bone broth with pink himilayan sea salt.
Since Monday morning my weight is down to 190.5 from 196lbs. I know it’s a lot of water weight but I’m sure some fat has been used as well. When I end my fast, which I haven’t decided will be 7, 10 or 14 days, I will slowly refeed. By that I mean I’ll probably start on day one of refeeding with a few handfuls of walnuts scattered throughout the day. Day two I’ll stick with the walnuts but also add in some bulletproof coffee in the morning. I’ll keep adding little bits of food until I’m back up to 1600+ calories but will keep to mostly fats and veggies. As much as I tried after other fasts I have done, I was never able to stay in ketosis for more than a day. This time I’m hoping by gradually adding food, I’ll keep burning fat.

Reactions: kokhongw and Chook

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, Kokhongw,

What do you mean by refeeding?

Most of the time, we focus on what we need to help us get thru the extended fast 5-10 days...but not enough thoughts into what and how to eat after the extended fast to get/maintain optimal results.

The extended fast works to clear the deck.
The refeeding provides the essential materials to rebuild/repair.

Dr Valter Longo favours a Mediterranean type diet, for the refeeding. But what exactly is the composition of the refeed is not detailed and probably requires experimentation...

Troubled1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Day 4 of fasting.
Bg at 6:00am-5.7
Over the last 4 days my morning bg has been down from the previous day, not by much, but down none the less. One thing I have noticed is my bg’s will climb almost 2mmo/l until mid afternoon then dip to my morning level, climb again until almost bedtime then drop back down again to almost the same as my morning bg. If things go as they have been, my morning bg I’m guessing will be in the 5.5 area.
The ketostix are now showing moderate to high levels and hunger is no longer an issue. Sometimes boredom has me thinking of food so I try find ways to keep busy. As of this morning I’m down 6lbs in 4days, again I’m assuming a lot of that is water but I like the trend.
Today I had one cup of bone broth, a few cups of coffee with a bit of cream, some green tea and about 70oz of water. My energy level is up over yesterday and I feel great.

Troubled1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Today, my fasting bg was 3.7 at 6:00am.
On day 6 of fasting bg’s were as follows.
6:00am-5.1
10:40am-5.0
3:00pm-5.5
7:45pm-5.5
10:00pm-5.1

On day 1 my weight was 196lbs. This morning (day7) my weight is 184.5. Although my fasting bg is 3.7, I have no symptoms of being hypo whatsoever. In fact, although I only slept for 5 hours, I feel great. The ketostix are still showing moderate levels so I’m assuming I’m not fat adapted quite yet. I’m sure when this happens, the ketone levels in my urine will start to go back down to trace levels.
Some day when funds are available, I will get a device to properly measure blood ketones but until then, ketostix will have to do.
I was planning on going to 10 days but I have decided to stop at 7 days then start a slow re-feed high in fat and ramp up my intake over the next 3-5 days.
I have never had a morning bg under 4 since t2 diagnosis a drop of 1.4 mold/L over yesterday has me just a little on edge. I have had readings in the 3’s during the day in the past but I attribute that to my Creatine supplemtation. I have also not been on any medications since diagnosed so in the past, due to the process of denial, never considered myself diabetic. Over the last few years however I have watched as my hba1c slowly climbed and action was needed to keep myself from being on meds.
In the past when doing extended fasts, breaking them always led to over eating and subsequent weight re-gain. This time I’m going to start my re-feed with mainly fats and possibly a small bit of protein. Over the next few days I’ll add more fat and a slight bit of carbs sautéed in olive oil with a small amount of protein.
It has been interesting watching my daily fasting bg’s go down over the last 7 days from 8.1-3.7
For myself this time of year for some reason has always been a time of a slow steady weight gain. The weight usually starts coming on in late August to early September and slowly rises over the winter months. My wife always called it my “Winter bear” weight and always seemed to coincide with the waning hours of daylight. This year however I’m going to try my hardest to buck the trend and drop weight instead of gaining. I’m hoping a ketogenic diet will be the answer to my seasonal weight gain.
I will update a few more times over the next few days and again when I do my next fast.

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
slight bit of carbs sautéed in olive oil
Any particular reason to have the carbs? Also I'd use butter over olive oil for sauteeing.

Great numbers by the way.. interesting that your levels have continued to go down.. mine usually go down by day three (3.5-3.8) then go up a bit and stay in the mid 4's.

Troubled1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Any particular reason to have the carbs? Also I'd use butter over olive oil for sauteeing.

Great numbers by the way.. interesting that your levels have continued to go down.. mine usually go down by day three (3.5-3.8) then go up a bit and stay in the mid 4's.

I just really like vegetables which is something I never cared for for years. I will still be doing 5-6 bg readings per day and hope I can keep them low. What I have noticed is the dp isn’t there while fasting except for day 1. My bg has climbed during the day and then dropped to almost the same level as my morning bg that day.

My biggest concern is making sure I keep my protein at a low to moderate level. In the past I have always been protein heavy in my diet and that has been detrimental to weight loss and bg’s. Another thing I have noticed is that on days where I was less than diligent with hydration, my bg’s were higher during the day as compared to days where hydration was more even.

This was my 4th extended fast and one thing I noticed this time around is that near the end I’m not as obsessed with thoughts of food like I was during my previous fasts. Also, days 6 and seven during previous fasts were physically draining. This time around I feel energized.

Troubled1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@Contralto I only want to introduce the protein first so I can find out how much i can have to remain in ketosis. The veggies will come later. I usually like to grill my veggies after they get mixed with olive oil and spices. The veggies I choose are broccoli, cauliflower, some bell peppers, green onion, snap peas and mushrooms.
Today’s fbg was 4.9 and at 10:50 had climbed to 5.3 I started tracking my food on myfitnesspal so I can keep my levels of fats at or above 80%. I also want to make sure I’m in a calorie deficit so I burn body fat as well as dietary fat. Lunch today was 4 slices of Genoa salami and an ounce of old cheddar cheese. It’s almost 1pm and I’m currently at 5k steps on my Fitbit so I’ll take my dog for a long walk later to make sure I get at least 10k steps. I must also make sure I stay on top of my hydration as that is one thing that I have always found difficult to do. I’ll also throw in some 24 hour fasts during the week as well.
I want my next blood work to be my best to date.

Reactions: Chook

Troubled1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had a full meal this evening. My bg before was 4.4 two hours later it was 4.7 dinner was a mix of onions, peppers, mushrooms, broccoli, cauliflower, matchstick carrots and asparagus. They were stirred in a bowl with teriyaki sauce, soya sauce, garlic powder and sea salt. I grilled them until they were hot enough to melt 4 tbsp of butter on them. I also grilled strip loin steaks.
I ended the day at 75% fat, 13% protein and 12% carbs (56g).
I think I overdid it a bit but those grilled veggies are awesome!!
My fasting bg today was 5.6 and my lowest reading was 4.1 this high fat sure makes a huge impact in keeping my numbers low.