8-week Blood Sugar Diet

captainlynne

After reading The 8-week Blood Sugar Diet, I've lost 13 pounds in two weeks and my waist has gone from 49" to 44" ( the measurement used by the author). The book is written by Dr Michael Mosley, with a foreword by Prof Roy Taylor (he of the Newcastle Diet). My Bg has also shown a significant improvement. From (fasting) 10.9 to 5.8.

The plan is basically a low-carb Meditterranean Diet, eating 800 calories a day for the eight weeks, with advice on what to do after the eight weeks.

I'm so happy I saw this book and even happier I decided to start on ihe plan straight away, rather than waiting for 1st January. My DN is very happy with my results, and I'm now seeing her monthly so she can monitor both my progress and BP in case my BP mess need to be reduced.

Reactions: 24 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
After reading The 8-week Blood Sugar Diet, I've lost 13 pounds in two weeks and my waist has gone from 49" to 44" ( the measurement used by the author). The book is written by Dr Michael Mosley, with a foreword by Prof Roy Taylor (he of the Newcastle Diet). My Bg has also shown a significant improvement. From (fasting) 10.9 to 5.8.

The plan is basically a low-carb Meditterranean Diet, eating 800 calories a day for the eight weeks, with advice on what to do after the eight weeks.

I'm so happy I saw this book and even happier I decided to start on ihe plan straight away, rather than waiting for 1st January. My DN is very happy with my results, and I'm now seeing her monthly so she can monitor both my progress and BP in case my BP mess need to be reduced.

That's interesting. I hadn't heard of that publication. Sounds like you're making progress. Are you newly diagnosed, or trying something different?

Reactions: 2 people

captainlynne

It's a new book, only published just before Christmas. I was diagnosed T2 approx 6 years ago, diet controlled. Tried different things over the years. Slimming Clubs no longer worked. Try to low-carb, but difficult with my erratic working life. I'd just bought the book when my hbA1c came back higher than I liked so I jumped into this Plan on 19th December. After the eight weeks I can stay on same plan (I've a lot more weight to lose) or go onto his 5/2 eating plan - still Mediterranean-style food.

Reactions: 4 people

bubbles1981

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi there do you have the title for the book can't seem to find it just the normal 5:2 book :) thanks

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there do you have the title for the book can't seem to find it just the normal 5:2 book :) thanks

It's on both Amazon and eBay, if you search "Blood Sugar Diet", and includes Kindle version, if that's your thing.

Donnadoobie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm hoping to start this next week while awaiting the book to arrive. I have an 8 week window to do this in before I go away for a weekend to Spain, the only fly in the ointment is a weekend in London at the end of around week 6. I don't want to lose too much weight but want to see if it affects blood sugar levels.

Donnadoobie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Question. I have been looking through the menus in the book and I noticed that some of the foods such as butternut squash and and raisins are things that I avoid. What are your thoughts? Is it because the portions are so small and the total calorie intake for the day is low that it works? Has anyone with prediabetes or type 2 tested blood sugars after eating? Just checking before I plan my menus. Other than that the food and meals are not so different to how I eat now, although less calories obviously, so hoping for the best!

captainlynne

Question. I have been looking through the menus in the book and I noticed that some of the foods such as butternut squash and and raisins are things that I avoid. What are your thoughts? Is it because the portions are so small and the total calorie intake for the day is low that it works? Has anyone with prediabetes or type 2 tested blood sugars after eating? Just checking before I plan my menus. Other than that the food and meals are not so different to how I eat now, although less calories obviously, so hoping for the best!

The book says carbs in the plan are slow release, and they are mixed with protein. I've not tried the Bircher recipe with raisins yet but will test Bg before and after to see how it affects me if/when I try it. I try something, test, decide if I want to eat it again.

Since starting this plan on 19th December I've lost 15 pounds and fasting Bg has dropped from 10.9 to under 6.0.

Hope you find the plan works for you.

Reactions: 8 people

LauraChic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi. I have come on holiday and saw the book at the airport. 1 week into the holiday and have read most of the book. Really want to give it a go but I am on gliclizide and says you should consult your doctor. Thing is I'm straight back to work when I return. Not sure what to do? Start now I'm motivated or wait until I can get a doctor's appointment

Victorri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have this book and was very up for trying it. Took it to my appointment on Tuesday and basically got told by the dietician that I can't do it and shouldn't do it and that I will put on double the weight afterwards and then started spouting about how important it is to have carbs. I was going to bite back but decided to just agree but in my head was thinking f**k you I will definitely do it now but it's very expensive, week one totalled in my basket at about £80 that's just food for me and nothing else

Donnadoobie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't used the menus in the book, I have used My fitness pal and made my own. The calorie count in the book is not correct anyway.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have this book and was very up for trying it. Took it to my appointment on Tuesday and basically got told by the dietician that I can't do it and shouldn't do it and that I will put on double the weight afterwards and then started spouting about how important it is to have carbs. I was going to bite back but decided to just agree but in my head was thinking f**k you I will definitely do it now but it's very expensive, week one totalled in my basket at about £80 that's just food for me and nothing else

Could you give a sample day's menu please, so that I might begin to understand why it might cost so much? I'm not doubting what you say; not having read the book, I couldn't have a clue, but having adopted a lower carb way of eating, I find that taking into account the things no longer bought (for me), like bread, pasta and a reduced amount of alcohol, it isn't any more expensive than my previous way of eating, and we have always eaten very well.

One comment I would make though is that is that some people found they have had an initial increase in their budgets as they buy new store cupboard items, but many store cupboard items last a while and wouldn't usually all need to be bought at once.

Reactions: 6 people

Donnadoobie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have not followed the book but here is my menu for today

Breakfast
100g 0% Greek yogurt with 30g blueberries and 2 coffees with Milk - 78 cals

Lunch
Cheese omelette with 2 eggs and 25 g cheese and baby leaf salad and a Granny Smith Apple -348 cals

Dinner
115g salmon fillet, babyleaf salad with 3 cherry toms and 10g Feta cheese and a 25g Phili on top of salmon with broccoli - 345 cals

2 coffees 30 cals

Total 796 calories.

I had the salmon in the freezer, I bought it when it was reduced, it was slightly bigger than I planned. and was about 250 cals. Big pot of yougurt has lasted me all week.

I am used to calorie counting as I have been doing the 5:2 diet for the last year. I log everything into my fitness pal to help me plan my meals.
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1452893956.082611.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
An 800 calories a day diet for type 2 sounds familiar...same length of time and same calories as the Newcastle diet, but real food instead of powdered meal replacement made from manufactured chemicals. I like it! This makes a lot more sense to me than the Newcastle diet. I suspect that after the 8 weeks, you keep eating the same way, but increase the calorie count? I'd skip things like raisins while doing this, unless it's a very small amount.

Reactions: 10 people

Donnadoobie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is more or less how I eat normally but with more calories, although I usually eat only 500 cals twice a week but not while I'm doing this. I'm still skipping all the food I normally don't eat and planning my own meals based on what I want to eat. I have felt a little hungry but nothing I can't cope with.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
The foreword was written by the person who devised the Newcastle diet.