9 year old son recently diagnosed

Leannie

4 weeks today our journey began. I am still in the learning process of hypos and hypers and hate that we have no cure to make my little boy better and everyone else who lives with diabetes type 1 xxxx

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Leannie ,
A warm welcome to the forum!

I was diagnosed on my 8th birthday a loooong time back.

There is plenty of info here to guide you & your lad.

Best wishes on the journey.!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. Do ask any questions for your son on the T1 forum as you gradually understand more about the condition and your son's needs.

Reactions: Leannie

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome @Leannie :)

Check out the Parents section here :) My favourite Type 1 book is Think Like A Pancreas. It's extremely popular amongst Type 1s here because it contains great advice, but is written in a friendly, realistic way :) I prefer it to Dr B's extreme approach, which is often misunderstood and misrepresented.

I have Type 1 and have children. If any of them developed Type 1, a pump would be top of my list of things to get. That might be something you'd like to look into at a later stage.

The hypers and hypos could be due to your son's honeymoon, or simply the fact it takes a while to get control. Keep going and know that no Type 1 gets perfect figures all the time. Take each day as it comes.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
4 weeks today our journey began. I am still in the learning process of hypos and hypers and hate that we have no cure to make my little boy better and everyone else who lives with diabetes type 1 xxxx

Welcome @Leannie

It's early days yet and in time your boys bg levels will stabilise, just keep in close contact with his diabetes team and keep posting on the forum.

As well as the book that @azure mentions there's also another book that is aimed at young people with type 1, it's called Type 1 Diabetes in Children, Adolescents and Young Adults, the author is Ragnar Hanas and by all accounts its a very good read. Best wishes.

Reactions: Leannie and azure

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Leannie . A big welcome to you and especially your son to the forum.
You are so right there is no cure for diabetes yet.......but there is control, so much more than even a few years ago. Pumps,CGM and education courses are available nowadays.
You have a lot to learn. Try to learn a little at a time, as much as you learn from others you will learn as much from personal experience with your son. Bad days, hypos, hyper learn from them and move on. You can only effect the future don't let diabetes make you live in the past.
Try and get your son and you also to be proud of his diabetes ( strange I know ) . Diabetes thrives on negativity,secrecy and denial. Be proud, be positive and be in control of your sons diabetes.
Good luck stay strong and we're all here to help you should you need us.:)

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @Leannie
welcome to the forum !!:)
a big hug to your son and to your whole family !!
it is a real tough thing to get your head round in the beginning ( 44 years ago for me )
some great advice so far and all I will add is to try and remember that it is a marathon ( so remember to try and take things slowly -- hard to do sometimes in real life )

JamesC1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello and welcome to the forum. I hope your son and you are doing okay, diagnosis is very surprising. I was diagnosed just under 2 years ago with type 1, I'm 14 now. The first part is always the hardest, I just couldn't believe it at first. You should look at an insulin pump when you're ready, i got one a week ago and it's been liberating. If you ever want a question answered or just to speak to people then this is certainly the place to go, everyone is friendly and always willing to help.

Leannie

Hello and welcome to the forum. I hope your son and you are doing okay, diagnosis is very surprising. I was diagnosed just under 2 years ago with type 1, I'm 14 now. The first part is always the hardest, I just couldn't believe it at first. You should look at an insulin pump when you're ready, i got one a week ago and it's been liberating. If you ever want a question answered or just to speak to people then this is certainly the place to go, everyone is friendly and always willing to help.
We have a pump roadshow to attend in July so hopefully by this time we will have a better understanding of pumps and CGM. Thanks for the reply

Reactions: JamesC1