A Christmas Drink

Greg1957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Prunes
Dont get me wrong, I am not a big drinker, but enjoy a drink on special occasions I.e. Birthdays, and in particular Christmas Day and New Years Eve. But what to drink this year, this is my dilemma.

I like a beer, but this has the same sugar content as a mars bar, I like brandy and port, but again this is to sweet, I hate dark or white rum, I also hate gin, I can just about tolerate vodka and bitter lemon, but the bitter lemon might be a no no. So this leaves my favourite drink of the gods, single malt whiskey, in particular, Glenlivvet or bruchladich,

Will single malt cause me a problem, apart from a hole in my wallet, how much can I drink? I am on a low carb high fat diet, will this be affected etc,

What will you drink over the festive season?

Whatever, I wish everyone a safe build up to the coming season,

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As preparation for Christmas, and as a "generally good thing" because its single malt, have a glass this evening. Of course test before and test after and then you will know how it effects blood sugar. I guess you know the other effects that it can have!

I understand that straight spirits contain negligible carbs.

Reactions: dbr10 and porl69

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like a beer, but this has the same sugar content as a mars bar
Standard size Mars Bar 35g carbs, pint of bitter about 15g carbs - I know where some of my daily total is going!

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
+1 on the Laddie :)

Brandy (reasonable quality) should be O.K. much the same as malt whisky but distilled from grape not barley.

Gentle sips will draw it out (pub lanndlords hate this).

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
What will you drink over the festive season?
Dark rum and diet coke, my son has just come back from Oz and has brought some Bundaberg OP over.
I do notice an increase in bs levels after a few Rums thou, just keep an eye on you levels

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Greg1957 I guess you are old enough to remember a TV ad in the 70's with the strapline "we turn all the sugar into alcohol"?

That was Holsten Pils which has 2.5g carb per 100ml, other lower carb beers are Coors Light, and Marstons Resolution.
Red and white wine are also fairly low carb, and most spirits have very little carb content at all

Merry Christmas!!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You are safe with most spirits (whiskey, vodka etc) but must watch what you put in them and make sure it is sugar free. You are also safe with red wine and dry whites. There are virtually no carbs in any of these. What you do have to be careful about though is that they will lower your blood sugars rather than raise them, which is one reason we are advised not to drink on an empty stomach but drink when we are eating.

Reactions: paula121s and dbr10
D

Deleted member 308541

Dark rum and diet coke, my son has just come back from Oz and has brought some Bundaberg OP over.
I do notice an increase in bs levels after a few Rums thou, just keep an eye on you levels
I hope your son got his rum from the Bundaberg Distillery bond store here in town, where there is a greater choice of rum at good prices.

It will ask for your birth date at that link, just make sure you are 18 or over when you fill in the date.

Reactions: porl69

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I hope your son got his rum from the Bundaberg Distillery bond store here in town, where there is a greater choice of rum at good prices.

It will ask for your birth date at that link, just make sure you are 18 or over when you fill in the date.
I believe he got it from the airport on the way home. Thank you for the link. I do like a drop of OP

paula121s

What you do have to be careful about though is that they will lower your blood sugars rather than raise them, which is one reason we are advised not to drink on an empty stomach but drink when we are eating.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, I knew that they lowered my blood sugar, I didn't realise they could lower that much. Not that I drink that much on an empty stomach, but it's useful to know.

D

Deleted member 308541

I believe he got it from the airport on the way home. Thank you for the link. I do like a drop of OP
Good one.

It has been a great sugar cane growing / crushing season with nearly 2 million tonnes of sugar cane crushed here this year in the towns three mills. So plenty of molasses for more of the rummy goodness next year.

Oooops! nearly forgot, plenty of that raw sugary stuff that we are not supposed to have produced for home and export markets.

Reactions: porl69

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people

I always get an increase in mine! I have to be different lol