A friend's husband - cautionary tale?

KittyKatty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was diagnosed with Type 2 this Summer, I bumped into an acquaintance of mine in the supermarket who said her husband was also Type 2. She said "he's absolutely fine" and that he hadn't really amended his eating, the implication being that diabetes isn't as bad as I feared. She did admit that her husband sometimes forgot to take his medication and didn't go for his check ups. She also said there was no reason I couldn't eat cereal as her husband does. Thankfully I didn't listen to the cereal advice. They all appear to be packed with carbs and as I can't eat them without oodles of sugar to mask the taste, it seemed pointless to touch them.

Well, I bumped into this same friend a couple of weeks ago and she tells me her husband now has serious problems with his kidneys and that he now has to take insulin injections. I asked her if he had been eating sensibly and she said had, which is kind of different to what she'd told me before. However, she's a lovely lady and I know she's worried for him. But i'm making a giant leap here and assuming his post-diagnosis choices are likely to have led to his kidney problems rather than a natural progression of the disease?

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Your results are fantastic! Keep doing what you are doing and you will have the best chance of avoiding complications :)

KittyKatty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your results are fantastic! Keep doing what you are doing and you will have the best chance of avoiding complications :)
Thank you!

Like you I've been doing low carb/highish fat and the weight continues to come off. I worked out that pre diagnosis I was having around 500 to 600g of carbs per day. Amazing how cutting them controls my blood sugar and brings down my dress sizes!

Reactions: 9 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was diagnosed with Type 2 this Summer, I bumped into an acquaintance of mine in the supermarket who said her husband was also Type 2. She said "he's absolutely fine" and that he hadn't really amended his eating, the implication being that diabetes isn't as bad as I feared. She did admit that her husband sometimes forgot to take his medication and didn't go for his check ups. She also said there was no reason I couldn't eat cereal as her husband does. Thankfully I didn't listen to the cereal advice. They all appear to be packed with carbs and as I can't eat them without oodles of sugar to mask the taste, it seemed pointless to touch them.

Well, I bumped into this same friend a couple of weeks ago and she tells me her husband now has serious problems with his kidneys and that he now has to take insulin injections. I asked her if he had been eating sensibly and she said had, which is kind of different to what she'd told me before. However, she's a lovely lady and I know she's worried for him. But i'm making a giant leap here and assuming his post-diagnosis choices are likely to have led to his kidney problems rather than a natural progression of the disease?
to most people eating sensibly is following nice guide lines and the eat well plate.. full of carbs and low fat promotion ... I have a friend thats the same, thinking he's eating healthy.. according to his dr and taking the tables .. no testing .. going down hill every time I see him. But I live too far away to be of help. He's sure he's doing the right things, because his DBN & Dr say he is doing the right thing :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::confused:

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
It's tragic isn't it - tens of thousands of people being sold down the river and spat out by a system that we should be able to trust.

Reactions: 4 people