A Levemir Question

hayleymy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,

I’ve had Type 1 Diabetes for 3 weeks now and since then I’ve been taking Novorapid before my meals and Levemir once a day before bed.

Do you have to take the Levamir at the same time everyday? The diabetes nurse told me to take it whenever I went to bed but I was looking online and apparently it’s best to do it the same time everyday... If that’s the case, could I take it at 9pm everyday and stay up for a couple of hours? Do I need to go straight to bed after I take it?

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's best to try to take it around the same time every day. A couple of hours either way won't hur. There's no rule that you have to go to sleep after taking. They just say take it at bed time because that's usually about the same time every day and it helps you get into a routine remember to take it: brush teeth, take levemir, set alarm if you'd prefer to take it a 9ish and then go round you neighbours for a coffee or go out clubbing, that's fine.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I take my Levemir when I go to bed and don't worry about the exact time. The advantage of bedtime is it becomes a routine. I leave my pouch on the pillow so I don't forget. You can sleep immediately after injecting as it is only a background insulin. Make sure you have some glucose tablets or similar beside the bed just in case an earlier Novorapid injection was a bit too high and pushes you into a hypo. If you aren't yet adjusting your mealtime Novorapid to match the carbs in the meal (carb-counting) then do ask the nurse to advise you as it gives the best control overall.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
definitely agree with the above answers -- it is the routine that is important

DobbieTheElf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I could take it a few hours later than the night before, and my sugar would be fine. Also, ask your doctor about Tresiba. It's the same as Levemir, but lasts a bit longer. Same pen and everything. My blood sugars after 24 hours have been a lot better since I changed.

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A lot of people on Levemir say it's better to split the dose. I tried it once a day, didn't work worth a darn went back to Lantus.