A little guidance needed

ilan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi have only been on the forum for a few weeks and its a great place thanks to all I am on a diet controlled type 2 I also had a tripple bypass 5 years ago . I decided to try a low carb diet with a high fat although this seemed to go against all that I was told to keep colesterol down Low fat everything.? After 10 days of this I developed Ibs which I think may be due to to much fat . Is there a middle way ? can LCHF cause irritable bowel or is it the sudden change of diet My H6alc is 48 Whilst I brought a meter and fasting is averaging out @6.4

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The amount of fat you eat is entirely up to you. There are no rules. Certainly if you are eating too many calories for your needs you risk gaining weight, but there are also calories in carbs and protein.

Exactly how low carb are you? It is only when you are very low carb that you need to eat a lot of fat in order to maintain energy levels. Basically the less carbs you eat the more fat you need, but absolutely no need to overdo it. It is more a matter of not actively avoiding it. It is also a matter of finding the right balance that suits you personally. Use your meter and your scales to guide you.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome,

I agree with Bluetit that the fat intake needs to be suited to you.
Also, I have read that it can take a while for the body to learn to ramp up its ability to digest fat, especially if we have been eating low fat for a while. So you may find it much more comfortable to start more gently and then gradually re-introduce the fat as your appetite and tolerance allows.

Here is an interesting article I found a while back discussing fat absorption. :)
http://empoweredsustenance.com/fat-malabsorption/

If I were you I would have a good google on the subject of IBS, because I understand that there can be a few different triggers, and you may need to do some testing to find out exactly what your triggers are.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Unfortunately the idea that fat in the diet raises cholesterol was simply someone's great idea for a campaign and it seems to be unfounded.
When proper testing is done it might be true in some circumstances, but as yet it remains such a strongly held belief that no one would fund a trial because it just has to be true, it has been treated as true for many years, whilst people have grown fatter and sicker avoiding fats.
I ate fats straight after diagnosis thinking that having low glucose levels was the most important thing, but my Cholesterol went down and my ratios were either good or ideal, so I have continued to eat them. I have even increased them slightly with cream on strawberries, and that appears to have restarted weight loss.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The problem could well be your gall bladder.
When you keep dietary fats low the gall bladder holds onto the bile, as it is not required, and so you can develop gall stones. It is sometimes said that after only a few days of eating a high fat diet gallstones developed, when what has happened is that the gall bladder has woken up and found itself in difficulties doing what it ought to do. For most people it is only a short lived interval of discomfort as you get back to normal, but there can be blocked gall ducts which are problematic.