licklemoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
the heat
after eating bread she says she feels sick
she had pizza about 45 mins ago and i talked her into letting me check her blood sugar
it was 11.9
ive told her she needs to go see dr but shes determined its the gluten making her BS rise

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Carbs elevate BG levels - after 45 minutes she should be getting the full benefit, you need to test several times, perhaps at half hourly intervals to see what her response to carbs is for different foods.
You can tell her that gluten is a protein and unlikely to be responsible for a BG rise in the presence of fat.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Get her to stop eating all bread and pizza etc, then test her fasting BG in a few weeks. If she controls diabetes by avoiding grains that the job done.

PS some people do get increased insulin resistance due to wheat independent of the level of carbs they are having.

Last edited:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
You want her to see a doctor on the strength of one reading?

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've given up pizza - causes huge spikes for me, even when entering the correct insulin dose and makes me feel sick too.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Get her to stop eating all bread and pizza etc, then test her fasting BG in a few weeks. If she controls diabetes by avoiding grains that the job done.

PS some people do get increased insulin resistance due to wheel independent of the level of carbs they are having.

Wheel?

Wshelledy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
2 hours is the standard post prandial time. Everyone's bg rises after eating carbs. Also check first thing in the morning, fasting. A fasting bg below 5.5 would indicate she's fine. Below 7 for pp would also indicate she's fine.

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How do you mean sick? Dizzy? Nausea? Are you sure that it was related to diabetes in the first place?

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
A random reading of 11.9 would usually give your doctor cause to test your daughter more fully for diabetes...and most non-diabetics will not get a reading that high even inside the two hours it normally takes for the blood sugar to come back down again...even with pizza. That said, it is only one reading and on its own tells us very little...and we are all quite different so there is no one answer we can give. Personally, while I certainly would not panic...I would take her to see the doctor if she were my daughter. Hopefully, all is well.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
after eating bread she says she feels sick
she had pizza about 45 mins ago and i talked her into letting me check her blood sugar
it was 11.9
ive told her she needs to go see dr but shes determined its the gluten making her BS rise

Licklemoose - a reading 45 minutes after eating something high carb would show an elevated blood score, but to be honest that is only a snapshot. Non-diabetics can have quite significant early spikes in their bloods, but their bodies can usually tackle them pronto.

As to feeling sick - it could be the boost in blood sugar. I could be the inclusion of gluten in her diet, or it cold be something else. I know these days (well, the days before I had to go GF anyway) I used to get very full, very quickly and feel quite bloated by bread. I never much cared for pizza.

To be honest, I think your daughter could do with a bit of a check over. If she is considering going GF, that's a BIG step. In my experience, it's a mush trickier step than going LC. It isn't just giving up bread, or pizza, gluten sneaks into so many other foods and ingredients, like soy sauce, Worcester sauce, some mustards, many things with any sort of coating - like batters, breadcrumbs, seasonings and so on.

When I was told to adopt a GF lifestyle, the Endo acknowledged I had already knocked out the real biggies by being LC, but the learning curve has been very steep.

It could be useful for your daughter to have her symptoms investigated before she does anything. Who wants to give up anything needlessly?

Of course, there's nothing to stop her trying GF, but just cutting out bread and pizza isn't a GF diet.

I know @Brunneria went GF and if I recall correctly, she found that had a significant impact on her carb tolerance - provided the carbs consumed are GF. Obviously she could give you a less cumbersome insight.

I do hope your daugher finds the root cause of her symptoms and finds a way to manage them.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I know one person who has to keep to very low gluten, not gluten free unwise she does not feal well. For exmaple whene eating out she does not need to check what is in a source, but can't have the bread.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know one person who has to keep to very low gluten, not gluten free unwise she does not feal well. For exmaple whene eating out she does not need to check what is in a source, but can't have the bread.

That's a good point, but as it can take several weeks to actually feel any benefit, or the full benefit, the cutting down bit could easily prolong the experiment to be a looooong time. Before being instructed to go GF, I only had a handful of really vague symptoms, but after some weeks it dawned on my I actually had lost the majority of the symptoms. I still son't necessarily "go" every day, but myself and the Doc have concludes that's just my usual way of being.

Having done quite a lot of reading around this, I have seen feedback on both thyroid and Coeliac fora that suggest a minimum of 3 months is a suitable trial period of total exclusion.

For anyone considering they need to go GF (and it is a big and disruptive thing to consider), I would suggest (after medical testing, as the tests are often inconclusive if the carb count is already well down, and for other reasons) it might be easier to prove any food specific intolerance by a period of exclusion, then adding back, if going GF improves matters.

I'm not trying to poo-hoo anyone's approach or suggest any one way is the correct way, but just trying to feed back my experiences and personal findings.

@licklemoose - I hope your daughter achieves some clarity, whichever route she chooses.

As a matter of interest, does you daughter have any auto-immune (AI) conditions, or is there a history of AI conditions in her family history?

licklemoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
the heat

PS some people do get increased insulin resistance due to wheat independent of the level of carbs they are having.
ie been telling her for ages to cut out gluten, shes almost 20 so knows bettter

licklemoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
the heat
That's a good point, but as it can take several weeks to actually feel any benefit, or the full benefit, the cutting down bit could easily prolong the experiment to be a looooong time. Before being instructed to go GF, I only had a handful of really vague symptoms, but after some weeks it dawned on my I actually had lost the majority of the symptoms. I still son't necessarily "go" every day, but myself and the Doc have concludes that's just my usual way of being.

Having done quite a lot of reading around this, I have seen feedback on both thyroid and Coeliac fora that suggest a minimum of 3 months is a suitable trial period of total exclusion.

For anyone considering they need to go GF (and it is a big and disruptive thing to consider), I would suggest (after medical testing, as the tests are often inconclusive if the carb count is already well down, and for other reasons) it might be easier to prove any food specific intolerance by a period of exclusion, then adding back, if going GF improves matters.

I'm not trying to poo-hoo anyone's approach or suggest any one way is the correct way, but just trying to feed back my experiences and personal findings.

@licklemoose - I hope your daughter achieves some clarity, whichever route she chooses.

As a matter of interest, does you daughter have any auto-immune (AI) conditions, or is there a history of AI conditions in her family history?
as far as i know she dont have have any AI issues but i have 2 and thats hashimotos and hidradenitis

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
as far as i know she dont have have any AI issues but i have 2 and thats hashimotos and hidradenitis

Ah, good for her. I still think a chat with the Doc is probably the best way forward.

I hope she feels better soon.