A speedy warning

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
A visit to the Goodwood Festival of Speed has left me chastened, not to say deaf. I didn't take any food as I relied on a programme note that one of the catering stalls would be serving all-day breakfasts. Forlorn hope. For breakfast I had a bacon and egg bap (the "all-day breakfast") and ate the bit of bread that had most egg yolk in it, and for lunch I just gave up and had fish and chips. With ketchup. It was a disappointment, very mediocre fare for a tenner.
However, guardian angels come in many guises ... as I stood beside the hillclimb track a man asked me to hold his coffee cup while he unfolded some tissue paper to reveal five tablets, which he said he had to take daily without fail. One for T2 diabetes, one for blood pressure, one for thinning the blood, one for something else (I forget) and one whose purpose even he couldn't remember.
It occurred to me that if I were to continue with the sort of diet I'd had that day, I might be in his shoes quite quickly. So my ears are still ringing but I hear the warning.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was there yesterday.. they had a pulled pork stand and a burger stand near the F1 pits which were ok. I didn't have the pulled pork and should have.. most annoying it looked really nice... the burger was ok. Completely agree about the price though.. v expensive for what you got.
However we had a great time and saw some amazing machinery. Even managed to see Bernie Ecclestone and Karun Chandhok as well as Nick Mason in the 250GTO. Walked 8 miles in total.. now knackered!

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Didn't do it this year, but have been on three previous occasions. Have always been boring and taken lunch with me as opposed to trying to guess about carbohydrate content - which I think could just be defined as 'high' for most of the food served there. Not to mention the prices are what you would call 'daylight robbery'.

Brilliant day out though.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It was a birthday present from my elder son and we've agreed to give each other tickets to the British Grand Prix next year. I'm planning my picnic now!

S

Sean01

I try not to go anywhere without taking at least 2 meals with me
I have an ice box in the car. I make all my meals before I leave for the day....every day.
Unfortunately, it is lonely. My eating times are totally out of synch with normal meal times. Recently, I watched my wife and kids enjoy a pizza whilst I had a double espresso. I joined in by paying the bill!

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Unfortunately two things are happening nowadays. The first one is that due the NHS, safety regulations and advance of science people are living longer and not dying of cholera or crushed by a machine tool. The second one, unfortunately, is that most GP give pills as solution instead to listen to the pation and teach on how to cope the condition.

I think that eating a good pizza now and then, especially one without cheese could be done. Unfortunately the food you could get on these events isn't good food in general, is cheap made greasy food that I think is bad not only for people with diabetes but for anyone with a decent taste.

They're trying to sell frozen pizza, picnic ham sandwich, frozen chips and so on at high price, becayse they know that people will eat it...

Reactions: ickihun and berylc

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I suppose they sell the types of food that people want. I have been to various bike shows where there were stalls selling reasonably healthy food and nobody was buying it - they were all queued up for pizzas and burgers.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Well what else would they have there other than fast food.:)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Carbs are cheaper to buy, even from wholesalers. Bigger profit for merchants. Isn't it!

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Recently, I watched my wife and kids enjoy a pizza whilst I had a double espresso. I joined in by paying the bill!
I've had some success with home-made pizzas recently and they would make great picnic food eaten cold. The bases are basically almond flour, flax seed, cream cheese and/or yoghurt, egg, herbs and salt with a home-made spicy tomato sauce on top and then whatever suits you as toppings, plus cheese. It all knits together and can be transported in slices.

Reactions: Sean01 and Serena51

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Good pizza especially without the cheese?

Don't you mean especially without the base?

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good pizza especially without the cheese?

Don't you mean especially without the base?
Actually a Marinara Pizza is good. also a Siciliana Pizza. They don't have cheese (Note that the sicinian style pizza could have some cheese - there are different recipes because the true sicilan Pizza is square, not round, so one couls refer a sicilian pizza looking at the thype of base preparation insted of the toppings