A stressful week - newly diagnosed

Reichelt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,

A couple of weeks ago I went for a blood test due to feeling unwell for the last couple of months. When collecting my results, the nurse explained that my levels were very high and I had diabetes. She pricked my finger and my result was 27! She also tested my urine for Keytones which came back positive so I was admitted into hosptial.

Just a bit of back story - I am just turned 20 years old and weighed at the time 17.8 stone.

In the hospital I was introduced to my Diabetic nurse who sat with me for a couple of hours and explained a lot. She showed me how to test my bloods, inject with insulin etc. I have also had blood taken to find out what type I am - as I am young they thought it was going to be type 1 but upon seeing me she thinks it is type 2.

I am taking 1000mg of Metformin with meals in the morning and at night, In the night I am taking 42 units on Lantus.

Over the last couple of days my levels have stayed around normal but they are spiking with food - I am now on a strict low carb diet. Today I woke up with 8.2 but will be walking which should lower this. My lowest so far has been 5.4

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Reichelt and welcome to the forum. I think there will be many on here who had similar experiences. It's good you have adopted a low carb diet. A lot of us on here have adopted a Low Carbohydrate High Fat (LCHF) approach to eating which has helped us reduce our blood sugar levels and weight.
Have a read round the threads and you will get an idea of how it works, and ask anything you want to. The people on here are friendly and supportive and you will get a lot of good advice.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome @Reichelt :)

It's excellent news that they've taken blood tests to check what type of diabetes you have. That will ensure you get the most appropriate treatment.

My advice is to test frequently to see how foods affect you. Your records will also be of help to your consultant when the blood tests about your 'type' come back.

Reactions: Prem51

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It must have been a shock but you appear to have had the right treatment so far and excellent advice. Just keep going with low-carb diet and Metformin and your need for insulin should gradually reduce so be careful to monitor your blood sugar to avoid going too low. If you are T2 then your need for insulin may eventually go away or at least reduce a lot. If you are in fact T1 then the right meds will need to be reviewed with doc.

Reactions: Prem51

Reichelt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Reichelt and welcome to the forum. I think there will be many on here who had similar experiences. It's good you have adopted a low carb diet. A lot of us on here have adopted a Low Carbohydrate High Fat (LCHF) approach to eating which has helped us reduce our blood sugar levels and weight.
Have a read round the threads and you will get an idea of how it works, and ask anything you want to. The people on here are friendly and supportive and you will get a lot of good advice.

Thanks for the kind message!

Reichelt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome @Reichelt :)

It's excellent news that they've taken blood tests to check what type of diabetes you have. That will ensure you get the most appropriate treatment.

My advice is to test frequently to see how foods affect you. Your records will also be of help to your consultant when the blood tests about your 'type' come back.

Thank you very much. I have been keeping a record of all my results to show my nurse.

Reactions: azure

Reichelt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Reichelt welcome to the forum!

If you are able to exercise and ok with your doctor, I would try my best to get back to a healthily weight as this will help with insulin resistance(if you are type 2), and help you get better control of your blood glucose levels. But be careful while you take insulin, as exercise will lower your blood glucose and the effects of exercise will last for many hours as it also increases sensitivity to insulin keeping blood glucose lower even after meals. Some people here take something to eat when at the gym in case they go low, and take a meter with them to test before and after, but I'm sure your GP will advice you on that.

It's normal(diabetic to not) for blood glucose to go up with any food contacting carbohydrate, as it all turns to glucose, and the more carbohydrate you eat, the more insulin the body needs. It's best to avoid high GI foods like junk food, and white flour products, pasta, rice, or potatoes, and switch to simple meals like mixed veg, meat, etc. Just 10-15 minute walk 1 hour after meals will help with the spikes, but again check your blood regularly.

Thank you for the information. I am now down too 15 stone 11. This was partly due to not managing my blood sugar levels and with the keytones but my new diet I have also lost a stone. I am now walking to and from work (an hour walk in total every day) Thanks again

Reactions: ME_Valentijn

Reichelt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It must have been a shock but you appear to have had the right treatment so far and excellent advice. Just keep going with low-carb diet and Metformin and your need for insulin should gradually reduce so be careful to monitor your blood sugar to avoid going too low. If you are T2 then your need for insulin may eventually go away or at least reduce a lot. If you are in fact T1 then the right meds will need to be reviewed with doc.

I cannot fault the help I have had so far from the NHS. I have had good advice and know that if I have any questions my nurse is a quick call away. I am now just waiting to hear if I am type 1 or 2 - but I seem to be managing OK with my current medication but will as you said hopefully lower my need for Insulin as I loose weight etc. Only time will tell.

Reactions: wiseowl_123

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Thank you for the information. I am now down too 15 stone 11. This was partly due to not managing my blood sugar levels and with the keytones but my new diet I have also lost a stone. I am now walking to and from work (an hour walk in total every day) Thanks again
Wow, you have taken this by the horns and therefore your body will respond positively as it is. This is very impressive, don't let up. The weight you have lost would already have started to remove fat from your liver and pancreas, as internal fat goes first; you have an excellent chance of not only removing insulin, but also Metformin if your are Type 2. It is vital with your progress that you monitor your blood glucose as you are already seeing 5's in such a short period, excited for you.

You might want to keep this thread going for a while to update everyone on your progress and to have the weight of the experienced on here review what you have been advised by your surgery.

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Butternut Squash, Cabbage and confrontation.
Hi,
Keep posting I'm sure a lot of people on here have had similar experiences to you. You sound determined to take this diagnosis by the hand and take control of it, so well done for that. Keep going with the low carb diet and exercise and I'm sure you will continue to shed those pounds and discover a new you.
Good luck with it all.

Reactions: Reichelt and Prem51

Reichelt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow, you have taken this by the horns and therefore your body will respond positively as it is. This is very impressive, don't let up. The weight you have lost would already have started to remove fat from your liver and pancreas, as internal fat goes first; you have an excellent chance of not only removing insulin, but also Metformin if your are Type 2. It is vital with your progress that you monitor your blood glucose as you are already seeing 5's in such a short period, excited for you.

You might want to keep this thread going for a while to update everyone on your progress and to have the weight of the experienced on here review what you have been advised by your surgery.
Thank you for the encouragement. Yesterday was the best day so far for me. Within my targets throughout the day and even got to 4.8 before my dinner!

I will keep everyone posted - once again thanks everyone for the kind words and encouragement

Reactions: Prem51 and azure