a walk after a meal lowers Blood sugars

James2

hi everyone
I am sorry if this has been posted before but i wanted to test this out
https://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/blog/timing-exercise-for-maximum-blood-glucose-control/

i had what i would have i felt was a normal meal before my diabetes ( carb heavy)
two hours later my blood sugars shoot up to 13.5
i then went for a 30 minute brisk walk , i have always moved my arms when i walk
i then did my blood sugars 7.7
it seems common sense but i was shocked by the results
best wishes
James2

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
This will work for some but not for all of us. If I do anymore than a gentle stroll in the mornings my numbers shoot up - but am fine after about 12 as the numbers tumble back down again.

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
True, one of the most important elements of coping with diabetes is to keep active it really does help the bs levels. Reminds me i must go for that dog walk.

Reactions: dbr10
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It works like magic for me. I was surprised how short a walk is necessary for a good result. Although I walk for an hour or so in the mornings for recreation it really would only need to be 15 minutes or so for blood sugar control. I know this since I sometimes do a 15 minute walk in the afternoon.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Walking is a natural way of reducing blood glucose levels.
So is any gentle exercise, that's why just doing a few slow lengths in the swimming pool is really good for your general health.
Walking for us wrinkly ones, is probably the most we can do and if it is even after a low carb meal, will over time help with your Hba1c.
Walking is good and it is destressing as well!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
hi everyone
https://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/blog/timing-exercise-for-maximum-blood-glucose-control/

i had what i would have i felt was a normal meal before my diabetes ( carb heavy)
i then went for a 30 minute brisk walk , i have always moved my arms when i walk
best wishes
James2

Walking is excellent exercise. I do it myself.. However, one question - how do you know it was the walk that lowered your BS? Might it not have been dropping anyway, and have dropped to 7.7 even if you had sat down for that time? I know we are all at different stages of this condition, with different meds and so forth, but as an example, last night I had a carby meal and at 2 hours I was 8.2. (Very high for me). I sat watching TV and 45 minutes later I was 5.4 and stable at that level. (diet only)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I do find gentle exercise helps bring levels down.
However, if I do a hard workout, usually that would be fast swimming or water aerobics for at least half an hour, there is a rise first before the lower later reading.

James2

hi
Walking is excellent exercise. I do it myself.. However, one question - how do you know it was the walk that lowered your BS? Might it not have been dropping anyway, and have dropped to 7.7 even if you had sat down for that time? I know we are all at different stages of this condition, with different meds and so forth, but as an example, last night I had a carby meal and at 2 hours I was 8.2. (Very high for me). I sat watching TV and 45 minutes later I was 5.4 and stable at that level. (diet only)
hi
i am still learning about what makes things worse for me but i read the article so had a meal i would have had before my diabetes , i was shocked at how high it went , i tested my blood sugars 2 hours after the meal which was before the walk
i then took them after the walk
best wishes
James2

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Personally i wouldn't like that kind of spike and then drop. I prefer to keep things steady

When I was type 2 a slow to moderate paced walk for about 15-20 min always helped lower me. Now not so much. If it's too fast or too long I spike especially in the morning. The weather has just finally gotten nice enough to walk so I'll be testing paces and time

Any resistance exercise raises me quite high. Too bad as I love yoga

At least you know you have an option if you overindulge! :)

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
An even better approach is to avoid meals that are high in carbs.

Reactions: TooManyCrisps

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's not always possible to walk or exercise straight after meals. I eat breakfast at 6.45 and leave the house at 7.10 to get to work. There is no way I could fit in a walk between breakfast and leaving the house. Similarly with lunch - I am often eating it in a 15 minute gap between meetings. I get a 30 minute lunch break in theory but often only manage a few minutes. If I do have a bit of time and the weather is nice then I try to go for a quick walk round the block outside my office but that depends on footwear - it's hard to walk fast in a pencil skirt and heels!
I do agree that my bg appears to drop faster of I exercise after a meal - I run on Saturdays after breakfast and I cycled on Sunday mornings, and always have good bg readings after that but then that may also be to do with the fact that I'm relaxed, not stressing about work.

Reddog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
hi everyone

best wishes
James2

Reddog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi james2, great post that inspired me to get out and walk despite my painful hip
I could only manage 15 mins but got similar pro rata results
Thanks for posting