A1C and Cholesterol Results

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
So, my results from last weeks blood test are in and I'm reasonably happy overall .

A1C - 5.2% (33 mmol). Very happy with this as I thought it might be higher! It's slightly up from last years 5.1% but I'm not going to lose sleep over 0.1%

Overall cholesterol 5.6 (was 5.7 last year), but my ratios weren't as good as before.

Triglycerides 0.93
HDL 1.8 (this was better before)
LDL 3.4 (I'm pretty sure this was much lower last year)
Ratio 3.1

I believe these are ok (no further action required was what the Doctors Receptionist read from the computer ) but I would like to work at improving my HDL and lowering the LDL. A bit of research needed there.

Any comments or advice welcome

Kaz

Reactions: Freema and dbr10

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done, excellent results. :) Your cholesterol results are very good. I can't see you have anything to worry about at all, although I agree it is good to increase HDL if possible.

My HDL is very good and seems to improve test on test. It started to increase shortly after diagnosis simply by cutting carbs (which can deplete HDL), increasing oily fish, and using milled flaxseed. It is now 2.51 increased from 1.56 on diagnosis. As my HDL improved, so did my LDL which has reduced from 4 to 2.8 since diagnosis and LCHF.

Best foods are oily fish particularly salmon, olive oil, flaxseed, chia seeds, avocado, nuts, soy products, and happily, red wine.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
So, my results from last weeks blood test are in and I'm reasonably happy overall .

A1C - 5.2% (33 mmol). Very happy with this as I thought it might be higher! It's slightly up from last years 5.1% but I'm not going to lose sleep over 0.1%

Overall cholesterol 5.6 (was 5.7 last year), but my ratios weren't as good as before.

Triglycerides 0.93
HDL 1.8 (this was better before)
LDL 3.4 (I'm pretty sure this was much lower last year)
Ratio 3.1

I believe these are ok (no further action required was what the Doctors Receptionist read from the computer ) but I would like to work at improving my HDL and lowering the LDL. A bit of research needed there.

Any comments or advice welcome

Kaz

Hi Kaz.
They are really great results.
Better than mine!

Really made up for you and even tweaking a little wouldn't matter! (But we do it anyway!)

Happy for you! Best wishes.

Reactions: Kaz261 and dbr10

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone, your encouragement means a lot as always.

@Bluetit1802 I have reduced the amount of oily fish I eat lately from 2/3 portions per week to only one. I don't snack on nuts or nut butter quite so much either as I don't need to.

I'm going to up my game with the fish and experiment with breakfast. I have full fat Greek yogurt everyday with almonds and berries. Might be a good idea to try eggs a few days a week if I can fix the time to cook them before the school run!

Thanks for your replies.

All the best

Kaz

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Kaz.
They are really great results.
Better than mine!

Really made up for you and even tweaking a little wouldn't matter! (But we do it anyway!)

Happy for you! Best wishes.

Thanks Lamont D, means a lot.

You see, a small amount of carbs really don't hurt!