Type 2 A1c interference With vitamin C?

lorib64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My morning glucose readings and lab tests are around 7.2 usually. I take metformin and Januvia. I ealk daily. I don't sleep well. Could eat better.

My triglycerides are high 200 (normal under 150). They were a little higher last test. Sorry, i am not sure if that needs converting.

But, my a1c is good 5.3 it has been dropping from over 6 to 5.9 to now.

I don't feel different during the day.

I read vitamin c can interfere with a1c and read lower. I take vitamin c. Not mega doses but more than it suggests on the bottle. ( about 500mg)

Does it seem like something is interfering with the a1c? I would like to believe it is right.

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I used to take ascorbic acid to counteract the immune suppressant issues of having Diabetes.
Then in one of his Online Sessions, I heard Dr Richard Bernstein, (whose Opinion I respect.) say it has an enzyme in it that, makes a glucometer give 'false low' readings.
I ditched the Vit C pronto.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My morning glucose readings and lab tests are around 7.2 usually. I take metformin and Januvia. I ealk daily. I don't sleep well. Could eat better.

My triglycerides are high 200 (normal under 150). They were a little higher last test. Sorry, i am not sure if that needs converting.

But, my a1c is good 5.3 it has been dropping from over 6 to 5.9 to now.

I don't feel different during the day.

I read vitamin c can interfere with a1c and read lower. I take vitamin c. Not mega doses but more than it suggests on the bottle. ( about 500mg)

Does it seem like something is interfering with the a1c? I would like to believe it is right.
I too used to take vitamin c but it raised my bg. Something about it having the same molecule as insulin so they fight to get into our cells.
I don’t take it anymore either

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
And actually B vitamins raise me too. I gave up on all supplements except vitamin D and R ALA