About my husband

Tanithb

He's been diagnosed about 8 weeks now he was doing well taking all hers inserlin ok two weeks ago he become ill cold and but that turned in to a chest infection so he was off food and not taking aso much inserlin the past few days he's taken no apediria sorry if it's wrong spelling he's taking her lantus every night he saying he's had no high readings so he's not needing it he had one high one of 11 and they have been 8.1 after food I don't know what to do wI'll this affect him not taking it or will he be ok with his bloods being normal he's type 1

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
As he is newly diagnosed he may be ""honeymooning" which means he still makes some insulin of his own.
But he needs to take his insulin and keep checking his blood as illness can make sugars higher even without food.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is he totally off his food @Tanithb? Taking his basal insulin (Lantus in your husband's case) is definitely the right thing to do. He will need his bolus insulin (Apidra) whenever he eats meals containing carbohydrates.

Has he been told what to do in the event of sickness (usually called sick day rules) and has he talked with his DSN if not?

Tanithb

He's back on he's food now still not taking any apart from he's long acting one hes at 15. Odd tonight and won't take any I have no idea why thinks he's ok just on he's long acting one alone xc

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Can you gently remind him that he should take it? 15 is not a good reading.

Tanithb

I will keep telling him he thinks all the clinic and consultant have let him down no help to him so told him make an appointment and tell them that he wouldn't take ewt as he was going to bed and said when he dose take it he keeps having hypos xx

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Ok. It sounds like his insulin amount needs changing so he should make an appointment with his diabetes nurse. As he gets more experienced he will be able to work out tweaks in dosage himself but right now he needs some help. Will he call them or do you have any way of asking for an appointment?

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Try to get him to call as it is better if he can begin to recognise that he has to take an active role. If he won't then call and explain and ask them to invite him to a medicine review. If he goes, he can explain about the hypo and they can work together to change doses.