About time

jockster

Around a month ago i went to my GP to see if he could refer me to a physiotherapist, while there i mentioned to him i didnt think i was diabetic!! he looks at his computer and replies yes your diabetic your type 2 you had a fasting blood sugar of 10.3 in 2008 blah blah blah.

I said you should look at my results since then and explained that i regularly check my bloods and everything seems fine,I also told him i had not taken any metfotmin for 5 months all my 1c tests are in the low 5s and i eat loads of carbs ive even done my own tests where ive drank 30grams of dextrose (about same GI as glucose) and check my blood at 15 min intervals to see whats happening, my bloods where 4.6 at the start they peaked at 7.8 after 45 minutes and dropped to 4.2 after another 45 minutes. shouldnt my blood sugar rocket after that much if i was Diabetic??

Anyway i left and nothing more was said about it.

Out of the blue yesterday my GPs practice Nurse phones me and asks me to make an appointment for a glucose test, after a short conversation it seems the Doctor has been looking at my records after my visit and agrees with my bloods i dont look Diabetic!!

So ive got a glucose test next Tuesday morning i go at 8.45am for a fasting blood test, then drink a sugary drink as the Nurse called it then come back 2 hours later and tested again, if the results are normal there taking me off the Diabetic register :D

Ive been telling them for over a year i didnt think i was diabetic anymore and at last they have listened!

MaryJ

Wow

was it one random blood test of 10.3 or is that an example of the types of readings back in 2008? Was it a fasting blood test?

the reason I ask is when I was first diagnosed and bought a meter I tested anyone and everyone around me, if they stayed still long enough. The first reading off my hubby was 15 after a pizza, and I thought 'he's diabetic' however, never since has he had anything like it. he eats what he wants - for my own experiments I test him and he's def not diabetic it was a one off reading.

You must have got the doc wondering anyway. Prob best thing is the GTT to be absolutely sure.

Mary x

jockster

Hi Mary j

I had been to the docs in 2008 for another reason and he had taken some blood, when the results came back he said my sugar level and Cholesterol was high and wanted to do a fasted blood test, the result of the fasted test was 10.3 and he told me i was type 2 diabetic no more tests were done just that one.

I was put on Metformin, Avandia, Simvistain and Asprin, at first Metformin didnt agree with my stomach and they tried me on prolonged release Metformin 3x500mg after evening meal and i was fine, at the time i new nothing about diabetes and was totally shocked especially when one of my Mothers work colleges said to me "do you know how serious diabetes is? its just as bad as AIDS :shock: well you can imagine how i felt.

After a while they stopped the Asprin then the Avandia as it was banned, next i started to go out running and joined the gym, like you i went out and bought a meter and tested all the time my results always seemed fine the highest was around 8.5 after a banana, i then started to test my partner we would eat the same food and compare results, my sugar levels were always lower than hers which i found strange as i was the diabetic one but put it down to the Metformin.

Around 2 years later and after learning more about diabetes, i told the nurse all my results were great and was thinking off coming off the Metformin she said NO! if you do your bloods will be out of control i disagreed and started to cut it down without her knowing.

I started off by taking 2 Metformin at night instead of 3 and tested my self for a few months the results never changed still good, then down to 1 Metformin again blood tests were great so i continued taking just one, months passed and all my hbc1a tests were in the low 5s pretty normal if you ask me but the nurse said thats was down to me running and if i stopped running they would shoot up, at this point she still thought i was taking 3 Metformin :)

i decided to come off Metformin all together and closely kept an eye on things, all my tests were normal and i was eating as much carbs as i wanted. i was running regularly and started building my mileage up and needed energy on the go,i had always avoided sport drinks like Lucozade,Powerade ect because there full of fast acting carbs (fructose,glucose) thinking they would dramatically cause my sugar levels to rise uncontrollably, guess what they never. this is when i started testing myself after drinking 30gms of dextrose.

During an appointment with the nurse i told her i had done these tests and showed her the results, she said the Metformin is doing its job very well! i just Smiled as i had been off it for months.

While recently out on a run i became aware of a pain in my left knee which gradually got worse until i was limping quite badly, thats why i went to my GP looking for a referral for physiotherapy and mentioned my concerns about my diabetes that was around a month ago, so he must of been wondering about it for a month as the nurse only called me on Tuesday.

Apologies for the long winded answer.

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
I wish I could say that. My BG rarely goes above 6.8 2 hrs after meals, but I am what I am type 2, even if I was not, and they had made a mistake in my diagnosis. I would still continue on the path I am now after doing all the reading and research I now know that the junk I was eating before and the fact I was not as active defiantly affected my standard of life and health, I now feel so much better in myself after the changes I have made. So while you may have dodged the bullet. I would still keep up all your exercise and diet if you had one. So congratulations have a donut for me please, just the one mind.

MaryJ

Hi jockster,

very interestesting post - not in the least long-winded.

Let us know how you get on

Mary x

jockster

Good Morning,

Well im not long back from seeing the nurse where ive just drank 75 grams of glucose :sick: and gave 3 vials of blood to be tested

She tells me the Doctors happy that im not diabetic any more, in the same sentence she says once a diabetic always a diabetic :roll:

Hello RoyG, i plan on keeping up the active life style what ever the results im pretty much hooked on running now ive already entered a few 10k and half marathons this year, hopefully if alls well with my knee ill be running the Edinburgh marathon next year,
Running has changed my life and i believe this is what has reversed or cured my type 2

Mary i'll let you all know how i get on

P.S Thanks RoyG but i dont like donuts :D

On Tuesday morning i self tested my blood before (fasted) during and after the glucose tolerance test
Here's what i found,

08.30 4.5 Fasted
09.00 75g Glucose drink
09.30 8.8
10.00 8.9
10.30 5.2
10.45 Blood Taken by nurse
11.15 4.3

Im over the moon with these results.

jockster

Got the results of my blood tests back and everything was normal,

Last Tuesday i had the glucose tolerance test and the results showed that my fasting blood sugar was 4.6 and after the glucose tolerance test it was 5, my Doctor said im not diabetic anymore and has taken me off of the diabetic register and put down on my file diabetic resolved!

All other results for liver, kidney function, cholesterol were normal to, in fact he said my cholesterol had improved its 4.2 down from 4.5 not bad considering i dont take any statins ect anymore to help lower it.

Im a very happy man.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi jockster, :)

CONGRATULATIONS

I noticed that you thanked your "running" for your success which is great.

I just wondered if you had a quick recommendation regarding what food actually helped you.

Thanks.

Roy.