Absolute newbie - gestational diabetes??

gilliana1

I'm 37 weeks pregnant and just found out today that I have gestational diabetes, which must have gone undetected for some time as I'm carrying a huge huge baby (>10 pounds). I'm embarassed to say I know nothing about diabetes. :oops:

The hospital have had me pricking my finger and doing some home test for the last 5 days. I'm off to see consultant at end of the week to understand more about this, but am worrying myself to death since I heard today. My 2 hour post-meal tests are in the range of 8.4-9.6. Is that very bad? I heard that if I 'diet' then the results can be lowered? Is this true and what shouldn't i be eating (and what can I eat... don't want to starve?!). Does anyone know if my baby is going to be OK if he as had too much sugar throughout my pregnancy? I'm not so worried about me.. but my little one. The midwife said I may not be able to have a vaginal birth now, has anyone ever been in the same boat?

Thank you so much,
Gilliana

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
The medics are usually very good about caring for diabetic mothers. you say "diet". Reducing your intake of sugars and starches would help you control your blood sugar and wouldn't deprive your baby of any essential nutrients

jacquirs

Dislikes
being ill/not being in control
good luck with the baby that sounds like a whopper!

hopefully things will get back once he/she is out