Absolutely petrified... My eyes.

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I went to get my eyes checked at the hospital. Every time I've been, they have said there's slight damage to my eyes, but nothing to worry about, that they're still looking good etc. I went last week and saw a new, young doctor. At first he said my eyes were fine. I said "what, compared to last time?" He said "oh. I haven't even checked what they were like last time" which is bad...
Then suddenly he looked all shocked and said maybe I need laser treatment in the future or a needle in my eye. And then at the end he said he wasn't gonna talk about that in case it worries me.
Well. Safe to say now I'm terrified. My eyes are fine from where I'm standing. I can see things long distance etc. There's obviously a little damage but I didn't think this serious. Blah. Help :(

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Chloesnavy - It's quite usual for diabetics to have early signs of retinopathy but for it to go away again. Obviously keeping good control is important but I wouldn't worry about what was said this time.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Hi @Chloesnavy, because you are well monitored you are at a watch phase. Try to stay positive by doing all you can to keep your diabetes well controlled with as good a diet as possible alongside exercise. Most people have something health wise that could or should be improved but are oblivious, you know what needs to be kept on top of. It sounds like you are some way from a deteriorated state where intervention is required and good control should help maintain the status quo.

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @Chloesnavy, because you are well monitored you are at a watch phase. Try to stay positive by doing all you can to keep your diabetes well controlled with as good a diet as possible alongside exercise. Most people have something health wise that could or should be improved but are oblivious, you know what needs to be kept on top of. It sounds like you are some way from a deteriorated state where intervention is required and good control should help maintain the status quo.

Thank you. I'm trying so hard to look after myself but it keeps failing. Lately my bloods have been good for me, mostly 7's. But then I eat one thing and it shoots up sky high and gets to me. I had brown bread the other day (toast) and it made my blood sugar go to 29... I'm trying so hard to look after myself, but it seems whatever I eat it goes high. Last night I had carrots and humous and yet again it went really high :/ can't win hahaha

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Over the top political correctness
I've had laser treatment 3 times twice in one eye and injections in that same eye. Hopefully you won't need it doing or at best not for a good while yet.
Having said that if it needs doing then one must have the treatment as i did but let me assure you that both treatments are painless.

Regards

Martin

iHs

Thank you. I'm trying so hard to look after myself but it keeps failing. Lately my bloods have been good for me, mostly 7's. But then I eat one thing and it shoots up sky high and gets to me. I had brown bread the other day (toast) and it made my blood sugar go to 29... I'm trying so hard to look after myself, but it seems whatever I eat it goes high. Last night I had carrots and humous and yet again it went really high :/ can't win hahaha

Hi

firstly, try to avoid eating food that is high in carb or if you do, try to inject the bolus about 30 mins in advance, esp so with Novorapid which can have a slow onset with a longer duration.
Most bread no matter whether it's white or brown, will tend to cause a rise in bg levels within the first hour. I use staggered eating so tend to eat the bread (if that's all I am eating) by cutting it into 4 pieces and eat 1 piece every 15mins and that tends to cause far less spike. I do use cgm though so I can follow the green data dots on my phone to guide me.
A nice alternative to brown bread is the low carb high protein rolls in Lidl bakery section. They are very filling so usually only half is needed to be eaten. They have caught on big time with the public so are always being baked.

Background retinopathy can usually clear with better bg control with the food that is eaten so dont despair, do more bg tests and count the carb in food as best you can and change carb ratios when you need to.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Do a basal test @Chloesnavy It seems strange that hummus would spike you so high. Same with the toast (unless you ate loads).

Once you've checked your basal dose, look at bolusing more in advance of your meals and that should help any spikes enormously.

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds to me like you're working hard to control your bg and doing pretty well with it. We can all improve and they are some good suggestions above. I just wanted to say I've seen a lot of doctors in the past year for various serious medical problems including retinopathy and one thing I really notice if how doctors vary. Some are engaging done offhand, some optimistic some dour and pessimistic. If you can look at the facts behind what they say, right now you can see really well, none of us what the future holds regarding diabetic complications but I think it's sad if fear of that stops us living and enjoying now. Sorry I'm rambling now! Good luck and take care of yourself.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I would tend to agree with @col101 's comment on doctors. Some will take time out showing/explaining the scan result on the computer screen & others you need to arm wrestle any sense at all..
Lol, bit like mechanics in some ways.. Though one can chose a decent garage wher the guy will keep the old part & show you exactly what broke, without making it a "dark art."

Basal test as mentioned before is a great place to start with the BS control..

My feelings regarding your last appointment @Chloesnavy , is that this young consultant was just "spinning off" the the well known risks of uncontrolled diabetes?

Have you been advised that they will contact you regarding referral for any retinopathy or maculopathy treatment?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I went to get my eyes checked at the hospital. Every time I've been, they have said there's slight damage to my eyes, but nothing to worry about, that they're still looking good etc. I went last week and saw a new, young doctor. At first he said my eyes were fine. I said "what, compared to last time?" He said "oh. I haven't even checked what they were like last time" which is bad...
Then suddenly he looked all shocked and said maybe I need laser treatment in the future or a needle in my eye. And then at the end he said he wasn't gonna talk about that in case it worries me.

By not talking about it he has made you worry more, next time you attend the Ophthalmology Clinic ask to speak with one of the senior consultants and ask them to explain more about the retinopathy, diabetic retinopathy can be a progressive condition and if your eyes have moved to the pre-proliferative stage then laser might be the best option.

More information and advice on diabetic retinopathy in the following:

http://www.diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/Information_for_patients.html

You really do need to avoid those spikes when you have active retinopathy, do a basal check as advised and then look at your bolus timings and carb counting skills, if after that you still see big bg spikes then you need to change your diet and look for alternatives. Best wishes.

Reactions: Struma

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I went straight back to low carb when diagnosed - today is the eleventh day since then and my sight is noticeably improved. I've set up my knitting machine to take advantage of it. I have had to go around and sweep away all the cobwebs I have suddenly noticed, and wiping all the cupboard doors and dusting, and throwing away all the tee shirts with stains on. Good thing I also have more energy.
I have had no trouble at all stopping the 'healthy' diet my doctor prescribed for lowering cholesterol. No more bread or potatoes - bring on the roast meats and eggs, and the fish and fresh salads. I have a large bag of shrimps warming up for lunch. Excluding cholesterol containing foods did sod all to lower my levels - down 0.1 in over a year. Not worth it to become a full blown diabetic.

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I feel your pain @Chloesnavy, I have just had a letter today saying I have maculopathy, which I had early stages of before but then managed to get better control and it went.

I don't know if mine has happened with getting better control quite quick with being on an Insulin pump for 11 1/2 month but will call my DSN on Monday to see what she has to say as my average BS over the past month has been 6.9 but looking on Diasend the readings have not been great.

Try not to worry to much and contact your DSN as soon as you can and see what they can suggest

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Well. Safe to say now I'm terrified. My eyes are fine from where I'm standing. I can see things long distance etc. There's obviously a little damage but I didn't think this serious. Blah. Help :(

A bit of background, when I was 15 there were the first signs of changes to my eyes and the consultant told me this is to be expected in diabetics who've had it for over 10 years, and then I went to appointments every 6 months till they had confirmed it wasn't changing any more. when I went to uni my eye hospital changed, so the first appointment I went to I could tell them what was consistent and what wasn't! However, the last time I did not do this, and got a leaflet in the post saying I have potential maculopathy and that I need an appointment in three months. safe to say I was freaking out. At my next appointment at a new hospital I mentioned this and the consultant looked at the image and was exceptionally confused as she couldn't see anything that my uni place had claimed I had, she thinks it was because they didn't have access to my prior info!

When have they set your next appointment for? That's normally quite a good measure for how serious something is, and come armed with whatever they send you!!!

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
A bit of background, when I was 15 there were the first signs of changes to my eyes and the consultant told me this is to be expected in diabetics who've had it for over 10 years, and then I went to appointments every 6 months till they had confirmed it wasn't changing any more. when I went to uni my eye hospital changed, so the first appointment I went to I could tell them what was consistent and what wasn't! However, the last time I did not do this, and got a leaflet in the post saying I have potential maculopathy and that I need an appointment in three months. safe to say I was freaking out. At my next appointment at a new hospital I mentioned this and the consultant looked at the image and was exceptionally confused as she couldn't see anything that my uni place had claimed I had, she thinks it was because they didn't have access to my prior info!

When have they set your next appointment for? That's normally quite a good measure for how serious something is, and come armed with whatever they send you!!!

They asked me to make another appointment in about four months time. I am so scared haha. It's just kinda annoying how the doctor told me one thing and then another. Ahhhh haha

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I feel your pain @Chloesnavy, I have just had a letter today saying I have maculopathy, which I had early stages of before but then managed to get better control and it went.

I don't know if mine has happened with getting better control quite quick with being on an Insulin pump for 11 1/2 month but will call my DSN on Monday to see what she has to say as my average BS over the past month has been 6.9 but looking on Diasend the readings have not been great.

Try not to worry to much and contact your DSN as soon as you can and see what they can suggest

Thank you X

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
They asked me to make another appointment in about four months time. I am so scared haha. It's just kinda annoying how the doctor told me one thing and then another. Ahhhh haha
4 months, a little bit better than my eyes supposedly were!! One quick thing, don't try and do dramatic changes to your control as if your control changes drastically (for better or worse) it can temporarily cause more problems...
so don't panic, be happy that you are being seen and take this as a little reset! :)

MarkE

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Woo

The chap's a fool- until the worst happens- and it is NOT inevitable- there's little point in going over the need for laser or vitrectomies. Get your sugars under good control and chances are you'll be fine.

Besides, even if you do need laser, it can be endured. Trust me, I've been lasered both eyes to double figures each now. Not nice, I grant, but it beats all heck out of the alternative. Just remember, if it happens, make sure that the ophthalmologist knows if you are nervous, or if you do feel pain at any time: they will help, truly.

And: good luck!

not-so-lucky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Just to give you the heads up about the treatments.... It genuinely sounds more painful than it 'actually' is. I was a very poorly controlled Type 2 for many years.. Consequently my eyes have suffered as a result, I've pegged up around 5 injections in each eye and maybe 7 sessions of laser. It really isn't very painful at all even if you do need anything doing. But remember; the docs are usually good at their job and the after effects last less than 3 days for injections and less than a day for laser... It's something I've become 'used to' lol - but it's not painful I promise; there's plenty of numbing drops and anaesthetic used.

stephanie87x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Completely agree with the above. I had to have laser and I have been having monthly injections for just under a year. I was terrified. Never thought I could go through with it, but I have. It does not hurt in the slightest and the outcome has been amazing. I no longer dread the thought I am just thankful I am able to have this treatment.