Absorbing tablets/coeliacs/ibs

sjm1308

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry if this is in the wrong section..

I had mentioned before how I was diagnosed with iron deficiency anemia in August and after 2 months of galfer my levels hadn't improved. My GP is sending me for tests for coeliacs as she says that might be a reason my body isn't absorbing the iron.

Seperate from that I've been started on a new tablet in Sept by a fertility consultant to try and strengthen the lining of my womb so that we can hopefully try ivf.

My question is if my body isn't absorbing the iron does that mean it's also not absorbing the hormone tablet?

Edit to add: after researching coeliacs and other 'stomach issues' I think I'm more likely to have ibs. I have not ate gluten in 3weeks in any form and see no difference although I know there is such a thing a silent coeliacs. If it is ibs can this also affect the ability to absorb iron/meds?

Asides from the anemia my symptoms are: fatigue/depression and anxiety/heartburn at least once a day/constipation but also diarrhoea/bloating/wind/mucous after stools.

Last edited:

sjm1308

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you had an endoscopy, sigmoidoscopy, colonoscopy? gastritus has a different diet than ibs

have you had test for H-pylori
So I've had a blood test that showed antibodies that would indicate I have coeliacs and I'm currently on the waiting list for endoscopy to confirm. I've been advised not to change my diet until then as that can effect the results. I'm really concerned about the absorption of other medication during this time period though