Acceptable blood sugar levels

Carp man

Hi

I have now been injecting 0.6 mg of Liraglutide (victoza) for four days. My blood sugar level in the mid afternoon has just hit 4.8-this is the first time I have ever been so low. Is this a healthy reading?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
As a Type 2 the 2010 NICE guideline figures for Bg levels are as follows:

Fasting (waking)............between 4 - 7 mmol/l.
2 hrs after meals...........no more than 8.5 mmol/l.
If your post meal readings can be lower so much the better.

Anything below 4 mmol/l is considerered hypoglycaemic, a hypo and should be avoided.

Personally, 4.8 mmol/l is an OK number, however I get hypo symptoms at around 4.5 mmol/l.
So I tend to make sure I am nearer 5 mmol/l to avoid the cr*p feelings ! :(

Ken

sue32

Dislikes
false people
Ken - HELP!! My bloods are at a level that I feel are OK. Spoke to diabetes nurse yesterday, she says mine are too low. They mainly stay between 4 and 5.7. I feel OK at this level. Nurse says they're too low. She says my fasting blood should be between 5 and 6 and no more than 9 after meals. I find this level incredibly high. If I do get hypo symptoms they're coming at about 3.2 sometimes lower. But I feel FINE. This is what I keep trying to tell people. I'm following the GL diet, have lost looooaaaaddddsss of weight, and I'm feeling better than I have for years. I know I've asked you this before, but what damage, if any, am I causing my body with low blood sugars? Please help honey :D :D SUE X

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi Sue, I had an hb a1c of 5.1% when I was on insulin and was told the same thing, I think you will find that the T2 NICE recommendations are mainly for non insulin treated diabetes as T1's and T2's on insulin need to maintain slightly higher numbers to help prevent going hypo. I reduced my insulin slightly and kept an average of .5 to .7 higher and to be honest found I was more relaxed knowing I was slightly higher.

There is also the possibility of becoming hypo unaware after running too low a level for any length of time, a situation you don't want to find your self in :D

Hope this helps

Congratulations on your numbers BTW

sue32

Dislikes
false people
Hi Sid, it's daft really innit?? I've just been to see my diabetes consultant at the clinic and he's told me that having BM's between 3 and 5 are OK, as long as I'm getting hypo symptoms at 2.9. I asked him if I'm doing damage to my body and he said an emphatic NO!! My last HbA1c was 5.7 which he says is 'too good'!! How can anything be 'too good'?? I've worked **** hard at getting these blood sugars down and losing weight - oh by the way it's 7 stone in 12 months - to be told it's 'too good'. My BP was 'OK' but my cholesterol was too high......4.4!! Talk about being knocked down!! After a 45 minute delay - which I did complain about as none of us were offered refreshment of ANY kind - I went in feeling really pleased with myself and left sooooo downhearted. I wish I'd had a hypo on the spot!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Sue.
I agree with Sid and I cannot believe that a Hospital Consultant would tell you such a thing as the levels you quote, They are certainly not what my Consultant would go along with or my SDSN. They would be horrified.

The level of 2.9 mmol/l is for a Clinical Diagnosis of Hypoglycaemia when someone is in Hospital together with other criteria. It is called the 'Whipples Triad' and is NOT the generally accepted levels which are in use in most of the Medical World for daily Bg levels. He sounds a little confused........ :shock: Mind you....what do I know....I'm just a Diabetic !!

Does he know nothing about DVLA rules that state as an Insulin treated Diabetic you shouldn't even drive with levels of 4 mmol/l or below. I would get a second opinion as 4 mmol/l is definitely the floor and you are then into hypo territory. Perhaps he should do some research into hypo levels and tell us where we are all going wrong.

I could say more but I would probably get kicked off the Forum !!
:twisted: Sometimes I despair....... :roll:

Ken

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Viewing profile - sue32
Username: sue32
Medication treatment type: InsulinYears diagnosed: 1

sue32

Dislikes
false people
No guys I'm T2, on Byetta, Glargine at night, and 80mg Gliclazide. Some days I don't even have to inject the Byetta as my BM's are 'OK'. If I did I would certainly be in a coma!! I've tried cutting out the Glargine, but my BM in the morning can reach 11, don't ask me why?? And no, I don't stuff myself with food before I go to bed!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: