ACCU-CHEK combo pump

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I keep my pump running whilst having bath, but definitely expereince the suck back in the tube left on the pump. Also when priming a new set.. With rapid d's when you're priming hold the cannula set tube and tap the connectors.. If the connectrs arent actually held and you tap them whilst locked together and priming... You will see a large, constant supply of airbubbles come down from the connectors and out the sets..
I also guarantee if I don't tap these bubbles out when a new set is put on I will have difficulties with the set.... Nobody tells you to do this, and you can only do it with rapid d's...as they are primed and connected before putting set in.
I am 'anal' about everything I do though with pump from the time I noticed .. Just weeks after going on to flexillink plus's I knew they were faulty... And eventually 4 months later they were withdrawn. I am probably 'OTT' compared to some, but just passing on what I notice and what I do...

victorhill

hi trina
well done on the pump ,
i have just drawn up 3 cartridges today as that is the amount of act rapid in a vial pop it back in the vial box with the plus fitted will last me poss 3 weeks goes in the normal fridge but when i am due to replace get a vial out say 3/4 hours before replacement this will make the cartridge and insulin room temp
helps reduce bubbles when you prime
ref syringe if you have to take out the syringe some time before injection so insulin is back to room temp ref air bubbles again
vic 6 years pump,, to long on syringe 45

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I need to withdraw what I said above - I checked my cannula today after a short shower and the insulin had drawn back about 2cm so did have to prime before re-connecting. I had wondered why sometimes I go a bit high after breakfast.

Now will check after every time I disconnect and not assume its all ok.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Check how many air bubbles are in the connectors when you link the 2 together... They don't tell you about this either.... Honest... You'll see horrendous amount of bubbles if you let the connected tubes swing in the air and you tap them....
With body movement and depending where you have your connectors... All this air left in the connectors can pass along the tube....

I know I'm 'anal' but the pumps are not perfect.. Same with airbubbles in cartridges...

By the way... There was information a while back from some source, I believe... NOT to preload the plastic cartridges with insulin. It was a couple years ago.. I was preloading them.. And I stopped because of the warnings against doing so... But I cannot recall where this information came from...

SB2013Pump

How did people manage without computers.
All this advice is so helpful and it is the practical bits about actually doing it rather than the theory.

THnaks to you all fo advice on bubbles and back flow.
I have not been priming after a shower but will do so tomorrow morning.

On the Rapid D link I got in a mess trying to take off the protective cover whilst holding hte 'handle'.
The handle fell off and the cover was half off. I eventually stuck it in and the insulin got through.
Another try tomorrow as I do not want to change sets on Saturday whilst we are travelling to Austria.
That is going to be interesting and I have taken on board lots of the info on here about airports.

I think I have everything and I am taking twice as much as I think I need as well as the ususal collection of pens and cartirdges.
I am not sure where I am going to fit in any other hand luggage!!!!!

Thanks again for all the help

Sue

Jkm2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm also on a combo, and after 3 weeks, my work colleagues, friends and family all say how well I look. I can say I feel like I did before being diagnosed back in 2010. I feel great, have more freedom as I don't go low, and my sugars are at a constant 5.9 to 7.9. Before they were about 8.5 to 14.5.

accu check are great. Ok, it's not the best looking, but it really works well!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

SB2013Pump

I am now two months into using the Accu-Chek Combo, and I am very happy with it and would not want to go back to MDI.
I am making good use of the different bolus options, and Temporary Basal Rates for unplanned activities.
Thanks for all the info in the forum which helped so much at the start.

Now I am past dealing with the newness of it all and I am used to changing the sets and cannulas I have a few more questions.

Does anyone use the Key lock function on the pump?
I just leave my pump next to me at night and it copes with me moving round and I have not inadvertantly set off any changes to the pump in the night so far but I know that it suggest in the handbook to use hte Keylock at night.

Does anyone know whether a Quick Bolus done on the pump would count as Active Insulin in the following Bolus calculations?
I know that this happens if I use the meter to put in a bolus that is not attached to carbs

Trina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who don't try, negative thinking
Hi. Like you, this pump has changed my life. I have no experience of the key lock, so sorry can't comment on that. However, as far as I am aware the quick bolus does not seem to calculate. At times, and I must say not very often, I miscalculate and go a wee bit high, I use the quick bolus and it works fine. I hope this helps.

victorhill

TRINA
my pea size brain .love the drama .
now the insulin in the cartridge in the fridge ,me thinks that the insulin needs to be at room temp to inject

also when you are on the pump you can have i cartridge in the pump and if you use up the rest of the insulin from the vial you can save it in cartridges draw up and pop the plastic bit on the top so that will keep it sealed
normal i can have 3 cartridges in the fridge so when runs out go to the fridge get one out say 4/5 hours before
so it is at room temp THIS IS TO HELP WITH AIR BUBBLES i believe if is at fridge temp when drawn up you are at more risk of air bubbles good luck ps keep pumping as basel is running all the time were injections up up and down
from a pump user of 6 years and over 65 s vic

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
There was advice somewhere in forum a couple years ago that advised plastic cartridges loadedwith insulin NOT to be stored in the fridge.....cant find the postings now... But know I read this advice and ever since I've only loaded my cartridges as needed.

SB2013Pump

Intermittent erro on post hypo retest warning

I am now six months into using my Accu-Chek Combo pump and would not want to be off a pump now. I particularly like being able to dose through blue tooth, making use of the correction doses, active insulin and events. Using the pump has removed all the frustrations that I had with post meal highs and removed the need to plan ahead as I can use Temporary Basal rates to account for different levels of activity. I feel that I have got to grips with using the different boluses, especially making good use of the Multiwave where my meal is a mix of Low GI and high GI.At the six month check my BG had dropped from 61 to 50. :D

The support from Accu-Chek in getting to grips with it all was fabulous and nothing was too much trouble. Like others I have gone through quite a few batteries, especially at the start. However there has been no problem in getting them from AccuChek, and they seem to think that this is normal at the start. :D

My only concern (and it is pretty minor) is the intermittent failure of the After hypo retest warning. I find it difficult to wait the full 10 minutes before retesting so like to use the facility on the handset to set a warning to retest after the full 10 minutes. Has any one else used this and had problems with it? I find that it works sometimes and other times the retest alarm will go off hour later (sometimes in the middle of the night when I had the hypo in the afternoon) Having returned one meter for this reason I have found that the other three that I have been sent (I unfortunately hit the batch of faulty battery connectors) they have all had the same problem. Accu-Check are unable to replicate the problem in the lab test but I wondered if anyone out there actually using the meter has had a similar problem. Yes I know that I could just look at the time and sit and wait but that is not my first thought when I am hypo and I would like to use this facility. PS It was also a problem on my handset before I went onto the pump so I am wondering if I am doing something wrong but have followed all the instructions from Accu-Chek with no consistent success. :(

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just a thought, have you set reminders for after meal tests. Might be these alarming without you realising.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

SB2013Pump

Poat Hypo Retest set but working intermittently

I am now six months into using my Accu-Chek Combo pump and would not want to be off a pump now. I particularly like being able to dose through blue tooth, making use of the correction doses, active insulin and events. Using the pump has removed all the frustrations that I had with post meal highs and removed the need to plan ahead as I can use Temporary Basal rates to account for different levels of activity. I feel that I have got to grips with using the different boluses, especially making good use of the Multiwave where my meal is a mix of Low GI and high GI.At the six month check my BG had dropped from 61 to 50. :D

The support from Accu-Chek in getting to grips with it all was fabulous and nothing was too much trouble. Like others I have gone through quite a few batteries, especially at the start. However there has been no problem in getting them from AccuChek, and they seem to think that this is normal at the start. :D

My only concern (and it is pretty minor) is the intermittent failure of the After hypo retest warning. I find it difficult to wait the full 10 minutes before retesting so like to use the facility on the handset to set a warning to retest after the full 10 minutes. Has any one else used this and had problems with it? I find that it works sometimes and other times the retest alarm will go off hour later (sometimes in the middle of the night when I had the hypo in the afternoon) Having returned one meter for this reason I have found that the other three that I have been sent (I unfortunately hit the batch of faulty battery connectors) they have all had the same problem. Accu-Check are unable to replicate the problem in the lab test but I wondered if anyone out there actually using the meter has had a similar problem. Yes I know that I could just look at the time and sit and wait but that is not my first thought when I am hypo and I would like to use this facility. PS It was also a problem on my handset before I went onto the pump so I am wondering if I am doing something wrong but have followed all the instructions from Accu-Chek with no consistent success. :(

SB2013Pump

Hi Brett

I have set the reminder for after a hypo to retest after 10 minutes.
The purpose of this is to make me wait a full 10 minutes before retesting.
However the prompt only works intermittently.
I have now had four handsets and had this problem on each one (but it was not the reason for changing the set). However Accu-Chek tell me that they have not replicated this in their lab tests. Some at Accu Chek have said that others have reported this issue and have suggested that I deactivate it, turn the meter off, turn it on again, and reactivate it. I have done all of this but to no avail: It still fails intermittently (3 out 4 times in the past three days). I know that I could just look at the time of the hypo, but I find it frustrating that this facility on the meter only works intermittently and I was just wondering if anyone else has had the same issue.

iHs

The hypo alarm reminder got on my nerves so I turned it off as I didn't feel that I needed reminding.

Since Ive had the pump, Ive had 3 bg remotes..... all of them develop battery issues and fail to switch on unless the batteries are taken out and inserted again. Highly annoying as you just never know when it will happen. It can be ok one minute and then not the next. I have felt like reporting to the MHRA but haven't done so as I know that the pump would probably be re-called as Accu chek have done nothing so far to make the handset work ok and with no handset, there would be no bolus wizard.

I just hope that the new pump when Accu chek make it available will have a much better handset without the battery issues that plague the Combo and the Expert.

candi-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
on my 2nd remote. sometimes I just give up and use my old one touch and use the bolus calculator app on my phone. still miss my animas..... one more year on this pump. pump is great if the remote was any good!