Accu-chek Mobile Cassette Meter

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
:)Hi everyone,

Just thought I would let everyone know that there are problems with this machine and it's cassettes. For the past 3-4 weeks I have been using 3-4 strips every time I test as I kept on getting E3 and E4 messages and no reading. This morning it took me 5 strips before I got a reading so rang up Accu-chek immediately. They told me I am not the only one with problems and they are working hard to try and find out what is going wrong.

So if anyone else is having trouble give them a ring so that they will be able to get the full measure of the problem. I thought it was my machine but they think it is the cassettes and i am sending back the cassettes that have given me the problem.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The cassettes I have at the moment seem fine. My AC Mobile is my spare so I don't use it very often, but thanks for the warning.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I went through a period of those errors when I first got mine about 18 months ago. I called Roche and they suggested that I cleaned the lens with a dry cotton bud, which fixed the problem (you have to take the cassette out to do this).

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i get this a lot with this machine i also find its results vary widely test to test ive had it tell me im 5.6 and then 8.4 in 5 mins of each other with clean fingers

rubold

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Only ever had the odd Insufficient blood warning. Results are always very close to Freestyle LIte strips that remain the most accurate according to an independent test report. My main negative is that it is more ackward to apply the blood drop than a meter with protruding test strips. I believe this is what results in some failed tests, until you develop a good technique for using it. Also ignore what it states in the manual and turn the meter with the test area uppermost and apply the blood drop. It is much easier to position the drop in the centre of the test area and there really is no risk of blood entering the mechanism as is stated in the manual.

Reactions: 2 people

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
robert72. Have done all that but still problems, in fact I have 3 of these meters, 2 of which I use regularly.
itconor - I too get that, not very reassuring is it?

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
robert72. Have done all that but still problems, in fact I have 3 of these meters, 2 of which I use regularly.
itconor - I too get that, not very reassuring is it?
Could it be down to technique then, as @rubold describes?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I found not being shy with the blood supply & using the meter in an upright position during the test works fine...

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
robert72. I wrote this post in a bid to help people as I myself spend a lot of money on cassettes and having used 3-4 for each test over 3-4 weeks adds up and i am a pensioner. Bear in mind I test 8-10 times a day, and as far as technique goes it is only in the past 3-4 weeks that I have had problems so guess I have been doing it ok for the past 9 years.

Anyway, Roche say they have a problem - I was not looking for advice on how to test just flagging up the problem for others, should not have bothered.

Reactions: 2 people

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
robert72. I wrote this post in a bid to help people as I myself spend a lot of money on cassettes and having used 3-4 for each test over 3-4 weeks adds up and i am a pensioner. Bear in mind I test 8-10 times a day, and as far as technique goes it is only in the past 3-4 weeks that I have had problems so guess I have been doing it ok for the past 9 years.

Anyway, Roche say they have a problem - I was not looking for advice on how to test just flagging up the problem for others, should not have bothered.

I appreciate your posting on this problem, my neighbour gave me a meter he no longer needed so saved me £££££££££s

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Jaylee. - you name it I have tried it. :)

I don't doubt it Jude.. One thought comes to mind on the error code is rapid change of environment for the meter? This time of year the lens might fog up coming in from the cold...Back in the old days of winter driving before the car warmed up. tape players used to jam up & even CD stereos used to error due to the lens fog...? ;)

malky39

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I too have had these problem recently getting the e3 error and having to retest. May have to try giving it a clean. Can I take the cassette out before its finished to do this

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I too have had these problem recently getting the e3 error and having to retest. May have to try giving it a clean. Can I take the cassette out before its finished to do this
You can - but you lose a test, because you have to open the test bay cover to open the cassette cover to take the cassette out.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone thought about mobile phone interference?

Back in the mid 90's when i got my first phone i discovered close proximity of such devices caused unusual error messages on meters.. Even though I brought this up with Accu-Check when ordering my mobile & was assured that these modern meters are "shielded". however what with Offcom "land grabbing" frequencies for 4G & such like the last couple of years. i still keep any such device out the way... Just an idea..!

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hmmm..... I use one all the time and it can be iffy until you get the hang of it.I haven't had any recent problems. Do you have any lot numbers or expiry dates to help.everyone out who has one ?. Brilliant thing when you're driving or out anywhere. No fafing about and people think it's just a naff mobile phone.(got told off for making a 'phone call' in hospital waiting for a CAT scan !)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
With regards to the cartridge. Is there not a section on the tape that wipes the lens area as it scrolls on..? Like a tape head cleaner..