Accucheck Insight new pump user

david.ed.bullock

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all,
I am a new pump user and have the Accucheck insight pump system using Novorapid pumpcart.
I am a little unsure of this weekend as have had it fitted on Wednesday 11th January and has come to the weekend when I have no contact with nurses!
The points are as below:
1) They said at the installation meeting that the Novorapid pump cart will last around 5 days.
2) They told me that the cannula will need changing every 3 days and the Infusion set with pipe every 2 days.

This means I am due to change the cannula tomorrow morning and the infusion set on Monday.
However I don't think I will have enough insulin to last till the infusion set Monday. By the looks of the pump I will have enough insulin to cover until Saturday evening which is only 3 days since installation not 5 like they originally thought!

Does the insulin have to be changed with the infusion set and pipe as it has a cover for insulin compartment within the set.

Sorry if this sounds all over the place, I am a little worried about what to do!

I Would appreciate your comments and help please :)

Thanks
David

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
You can change your cartridge and infusion sets at different times so no worries :)

david.ed.bullock

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You can change your cartridge and infusion sets at different times so no worries :)

I was concerned I would be changing my cannula tomorrow morning and then when insulin runs out I would be changing the infusion set tomorrow evening. So would I be able to change cannula tomorrow, then put new insulin in the pump in the evening but then do an infusion set change on Monday?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
cannula and infusion set are one and the same thing.

You can change your cartridge at any time needed just make sure you prim the tubing with insulin obviously and reconnect to your cannula that is in use. When you change your cannula remember to fill the cannula with the right amount of insulin.

Fmrogers

Hi David, I'm relatively new to insight pump June 16. I was advised I need to change my cannula every 2-3 days and my tubing every time I change the cartridge. My cartridge usually lasts 4-5 days so I do a cartridge, tubing and cannula change on those days. It works for me as then I am not changing cannulas in between.
It's never set in stone and you will find out what works for you. This is my experience and I haven't had any problems with cartridges, tubing or sites but I know people are given varying advice from their Diabetes teams.
Hope it helps

Reactions: Medusa41

Fmrogers

Hi David, I'm relatively new to insight pump June 16. I was advised I need to change my cannula every 2-3 days and my tubing every time I change the cartridge. My cartridge usually lasts 4-5 days so I do a cartridge, tubing and cannula change on those days. It works for me as then I am not changing cannulas in between.
It's never set in stone and you will find out what works for you. This is my experience and I haven't had any problems with cartridges, tubing or sites but I know people are given varying advice from their Diabetes teams.
Hope it helps

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I change the cannula every 3 days and the cartrige and tubing every 6 days if I can stretch the insulin out

Reactions: Medusa41

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I change the cannula every two days, or if I miss then three. The tubing is changed every time I put a new cartridge in, when I also change the cannula too. I often get between 4-5 days with each cartridge.