aching joints

newgrandma

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Morning all,

Thanks to all your good advice I am making good progress with the low carb regime - starting to loose some weight and am avoiding the post breakfast spike in BG. My energy levels seem ok as well but I do get aching joints, particularly at night. Am I missing a supplement/nutrient? I made sure to have some extra salt in soup last night but that didn't make a difference. Any ideas?
Thanks

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Could you give a bit more info?

Which joints?
What sort of pain?
How long have you been experiencing this?
How long have you been low carbing?
Have your activity levels increased/decreased?

That sort of thing.

As you know, none of us can do a diagnosis, or give medical advice, but I remember one member, was it @debrasue ? Who said that she had increased joint pain after adopting LC, and if I recall correctly, said she had increased activity due to feeling so much better, with the knock on effect of more aches and pains.

Have I remembered that correctly, DebraSue?

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Butternut Squash, Cabbage and confrontation.
Morning all,

Thanks to all your good advice I am making good progress with the low carb regime - starting to loose some weight and am avoiding the post breakfast spike in BG. My energy levels seem ok as well but I do get aching joints, particularly at night. Am I missing a supplement/nutrient? I made sure to have some extra salt in soup last night but that didn't make a difference. Any ideas?
Thanks

There's always the possibility that its not Low Carb related but due to another health issue. If you don't find a solution here then go and see GP. Are you exercising more than usual for you?
Maggie/Magpie

D

debrasue

Could you give a bit more info?

Which joints?
What sort of pain?
How long have you been experiencing this?
How long have you been low carbing?
Have your activity levels increased/decreased?

That sort of thing.

As you know, none of us can do a diagnosis, or give medical advice, but I remember one member, was it @debrasue ? Who said that she had increased joint pain after adopting LC, and if I recall correctly, said she had increased activity due to feeling so much better, with the knock on effect of more aches and pains.

Have I remembered that correctly, DebraSue?
Yes, perfect recall, @Brunneria!
I still have the joint pain although I now have no idea whether it's got anything to do with LCHF or not. It may be pure coincidence. The only time I have been pain-free since adopting LCHF was when we were on holiday in Provence in August, when the pain disappeared completely until we got home again. :( Diet remained LCHF.

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Yes, perfect recall, @Brunneria!
I still have the joint pain although I now have no idea whether it's got anything to do with LCHF or not. It may be pure coincidence. The only time I have been pain-free since adopting LCHF was when we were on holiday in Provence in August, when the pain disappeared completely until we got home again. :( Diet remained LCHF.
Soooo... are you aiming to move to France or Spain? Sounds as though heat and sunshine had an effect! Unless you had lots of red! :)

Reactions: Energize
D

debrasue

Soooo... are you aiming to move to France or Spain? Sounds as though heat and sunshine had an effect! Unless you had lots of red! :)
I'd love to, but I dont think it will happen. We did look at the possibility of moving to Portugal with my daughter and her family, but her mother-in-law wasn't having any of it, and I can't really blame her because I wouldn't want to do it without them, either. And the appalling exchange rate since the Brexit referendum means we'd have considerably less money to do it with in any case.
As regards the red, I love red wine but I'm highly allergic to it nowadays unfortunately. :(
Pity......

Hotpepper20000

About two months After I started the low carb way of eating I got terrible bursitis in my hip. I was so devistated because I was finally feeling better in every other way. Then I realized how much more I was doing. I was walking over 10 thousand steps 4- 5 days a week pushing a baby stroller. Of course my joints and muscles where going to take some time to adjust and strengthen.
I bought better shoes and visited the chiropractor a few times and now it's all good
Maybe your doing more and your body need time to adjust and maybe as Maggie mentioned it is related to another health issue.

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Butternut Squash, Cabbage and confrontation.

Hiya,
If the sunshine made a difference and as the weather here has gone cold and wet, have you considered you may have some arthritus? Just an idea, I'm no expert on it but I'm having more joint pain than usual and my GP has taken a blood test to see if that's the cause of mine. So it may be worth asking the question of your GP to. Hope I'm wrong.
Good luck
Maggie/Magpie

Reactions: debrasue

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
@debrasue
ellagy said:
Hiya,
If the sunshine made a difference and as the weather here has gone cold and wet, have you considered you may have some arthritus? Just an idea, I'm no expert on it but I'm having more joint pain than usual and my GP has taken a blood test to see if that's the cause of mine. So it may be worth asking the question of your GP to. Hope I'm wrong.
Good luck
Maggie/Magpie

newgrandma

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Morning all, I've always been active, playing tennis since a child so not really more active now than before/ Having done some reading, I'm thinking it may be more muscular than actual joint - maybe leaching minerals because of low carb diet etc. so off to get some magnesium supplements. Have been adding some salt and drinking lots of water so wasn't quite so painful last night.
Thanks for all your thoughts.

Reactions: Brunneria

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I find that I get cramp when low carbing, and it is dehydration - despite the amount of water drunk in the day. I have a litre bottle of water by the bed and usually half a pint will do the trick - for a really bad one it can take a pint and a half, but that is usually mid summer after exercise. I didn't think it could be when it first started, but water was the only thing which stopped the agony, and so fast it could not be anything else.

Jean594

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That is interesting, I have been on low carb and generally drink a litre odf water a day but the last few days have had all sorts of food due to wedding etc. Now getting cramp in my feet mostly during the evening , haven't been drinking as much water either . Note to self increase water intake !

Reactions: Brunneria

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all, I've always been active, playing tennis since a child so not really more active now than before/ Having done some reading, I'm thinking it may be more muscular than actual joint - maybe leaching minerals because of low carb diet etc. so off to get some magnesium supplements. Have been adding some salt and drinking lots of water so wasn't quite so painful last night.
Thanks for all your thoughts.

I Think you should have a blood test to see if you lack potassium and magnesium . I am sorry if anyone thinkI repeat myself but I have found that me going low carb that would be the nutrients that I have a hard time getting enough of and vitamin C besides D ... But most diabetics do take vitamin D when NOT Living in the South
Lack of vitamin D can by the way cause joint pain as well and potassium can cause muscle pain well good night

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you taking any (other) medication - no ones mentioned statins yet...........and we all know Doctors love to put diabetics on statins just for the hell of it!

Kittylitter

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all,

Thanks
I have been doing low carb for a couple of weeks and have found that my finger joints are very sore too, I am vegetarian, this happened to me last winter also, but I was not doing low carb then, for me it was lack of iron, so I have been prescribed iron by the GP again, so I shall report back in a few weeks.