Add protein on a low carb diet?

Freya122

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I am trying a low carb diet and have just started to cook low carb meals. This evenings meal was only 7g of carbs. I put this into my omnipod pump and it inserted 0.50 units of insulin. I have found my levels have risen up to 9.3, is normal? I was 7.6 before eating my meal. I am beginning to think it's because of fat and protein.
I've been told I should be adding protein is this correct? If so how do I add the protein?
Thankyou!

Reactions: himtoo

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, that's normal @Freya_xo

Many Type 1s have to bolus for protein in the absence of carbs.

Protein can also cause a delayed rise so you might have to extend or split your bolus.

Try the same meal and experiment carefully with different bolus amounts and timings. It might take you a while to get it right.

Freya122

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes, that's normal @Freya_xo

Many Type 1s have to bolus for protein in the absence of carbs.

Protein can also cause a delayed rise so you might have to extend or split your bolus.

Try the same meal and experiment carefully with different bolus amounts and timings. It might take you a while to get it right.
Thankyou so much! Should I add up the protein and bolus it as though it's my carbs or shall I try to add a small amount of insulin for a surtan amount of protein and slowly work out how much suits my glucose levels?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thankyou so much! Should I add up the protein and bolus it as though it's my carbs or shall I try to add a small amount of insulin for a surtan amount of protein and slowly work out how much suits my glucose levels?

I'd add a tiny amount of bolus for the protein :) But I'd delay or spread the protein amount as the rise from that happens later.

Only add a tiny amount to start and go carefully.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'd also say that your rise wasn't that big. If you'd been 5 before the meal, the rise wouldn't have looked so bad :)

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
everyone is different -- I use a formula of multiplying total protein x 0.3 + the total value of carbs

so say a 100g piece of cheese at 26 gram protein x 0.3 =8.66 + slice of toast 12g carb ( 1 slice of 400g loaf wholemeal )
= total to bolus for 20.66
( hope this makes sense )

Reactions: GrantGam

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Me and my mum say Thankyou so much for your help. If I was to have a little bit more carbs with some meals would I then need to bolus for protein or is it only when there's a lack of carbs?

Most people don't have to bolus for protein if they have sufficient carbs :) So adding a few carbs would probably mean you could ignore the protein.

And you and your mum are welcome :)

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Me and my mum say Thankyou so much for your help. If I was to have a little bit more carbs with some meals would I then need to bolus for protein or is it only when there's a lack of carbs?
there is a bit of trial and error in figuring that out -- If my carbs are above 25 I wouldn't add for protein , below 25 and I would factor in a percentage of the protein

Freya122

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Most people don't have to bolus for protein if they have sufficient carbs :) So adding a few carbs would probably mean you could ignore the protein.

And you and your mum are welcome :)
Thankyou very much,my mum is going to experiment tomorrow. If she gets stuck she will be sure to get back to you.

Reactions: himtoo and azure

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As an example, if I eat a salmon steak plus 'free' green veg, I have to bolus for the protein in the salmon, but if I have the same salmon and veg with a few potatoes, I can ignore the protein in the salmon and just count the carbs in the potatoes.

It's one of the reasons I don't often eat very low carb meals. It's easier to have some carbs and the rise is more predictable and controllable, I find.

Reactions: becca59

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
there is a bit of trial and error in figuring that out -- If my carbs are above 25 I wouldn't add for protein , below 25 and I would factor in a percentage of the protein

That's interesting. My figure is around the same - approx 20g :)

Freya122

Type of diabetes
Type 1
everyone is different -- I use a formula of multiplying total protein x 0.3 + the total value of carbs

so say a 100g piece of cheese at 26 gram protein x 0.3 =8.66 + slice of toast 12g carb ( 1 slice of 400g loaf wholemeal )
= total to bolus for 20.66
( hope this makes sense )
Thankyou for your help, we will be sure to test this out tomorrow.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm vlc and bolus for half my protein. So 21g protein (3 oz) I bolus for 10 carbs or a bit less

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi, I am trying a low carb diet and have just started to cook low carb meals. This evenings meal was only 7g of carbs. I put this into my omnipod pump and it inserted 0.50 units of insulin. I have found my levels have risen up to 9.3, is normal? I was 7.6 before eating my meal. I am beginning to think it's because of fat and protein.
I've been told I should be adding protein is this correct? If so how do I add the protein?
Thankyou!
hey there -- I am on an omnipod too !!!! :)

DaveTC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It'll depend on the size of your meals too... I have a big breakfast around 55g carbs and 75g protein I need 15 units for that compared to my lunch which is around 65g carbs with 20g protein and only need 8 units.

CathP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We bolus for 50% of protein eaten with my daughter. The timing depends on the protein eaten though. So eggs for example we find fast acting, so bolus upfront with any carbs eaten. Nuts, cheese and protein rolls kick in an hour or two later, and meats take 4-6 hours for her. Luckily we have dexcom so tend to watch for the rise and dose as soon as we can see the rise starting. Everyone is different, so it's all trial and error.

Freya122

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi thanks for your advice. Do you put the protein amount in with the carbs and let the glucose monitor work it out? We are using an omnipod? I don't have a dexcon so I will have to test and try to work out when rises are likely to occur.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Freya_xo Everyone is different so you need to find out how you respond :)

Letting a machine work it out only really works when you have an idea how your body responds. The easiest option is simply to add a few carbs to your meals and then you'll more than likely be able to ignore the protein in that meal anyway :)

Low carb can be up to 130g carbs per day.

Freya122

Type of diabetes
Type 1
As an example, if I eat a salmon steak plus 'free' green veg, I have to bolus for the protein in the salmon, but if I have the same salmon and veg with a few potatoes, I can ignore the protein in the salmon and just count the carbs in the potatoes.

It's one of the reasons I don't often eat very low carb meals. It's easier to have some carbs and the rise is more predictable and controllable, I find.
I have found she is a bit low at bedtime after a carb free evening so wonder if a low amount of carbs would work better

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have found she is a bit low at bedtime after a carb free evening so wonder if a low amount of carbs would work better

You could try and see :)

Most Type 1s have a 'sweet spot' for carbs - an amount that works best. It's usually somewhere in the middle of the two extremes .