Advice - Alpha Lipoic Acid please

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm feeling a bit desperate to be honest. A few weeks ago I was prescribed gabapentin for suspected nerve pain in my leg. I have a burning, stinging, tingling sensation from my knee area which goes part way down the front of my leg. I also have high blood pressure. I started on 100mg of gabapentin 3x a day which has just been increased to 300mg 3x a day.

In the space of around 3 months I've gone from Amlodipine to Losartan to now being prescribed Felodipine to try and lower my blood pressure. My dose of Losartan went from 12.5mg to 25mg to 50mg in a matter of weeks with no real noticeable results, hence now trying Felodipine which I've only just started.

I don't have really high blood sugars and have been diagnosed (as Type 2) for just over a year. I'm starting to get the tingling sensation in other parts of my body but intermittently - fingers and hands and also the area under and near my eyes which is now really starting to worry me.

Anyway, I realise I've rambled on a bit but wanted to give some background. Would Alpha Lipoic Acid help as I've read bits and pieces about it.

I live in the UK and often shop online e g. Amazon and am totally confused by the variety on there. Does anyone take these and could someone recommend what to take (at a reasonable price) please as I already have to pay for my prescriptions.

Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: Freema

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok,so firstly check with your doc surgery. Now you are on gabapentin, for D related issues, you may be elegible for free prescriptions. If not, they can still give you a form to complete to pay a single fee per annum rather than for each individual prescription. That should make you a saving over the year.

Secondly, re the alpha lipoid acid, I am afraid you usually get what you pay for, with supplements. Now that Amazon and eBay, and every Tom, **** and Harry are selling supplements over the Internet, it is really quite difficult to distinguish the reputable brands from the snake oil merchants. For this reason, I usually only buy Solgar supplements. It is a brand I know and trust. There are others - some better, I am sure, but whatever you buy, don't go for cheap and cheerful, or OTT claims... and check the 'Use by' dates too.

I do usually buy from Amazon, because we don't have a good Healthfood shop nearby, but I am very wary of all of the above.

Hope that helps!