Advice needed!

Sam'smum242

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
My 18 month old son had a hypo 2 weeks ago, his levels were 0.9, first time it has happened since birth. He was put on a drip for 24 hours and had tests which were all clear, he has to go back in a month for further tests.
Yesterday he had another hypo, it was 1.3, gave him the gel and it went up to 3.3, since them I'm struggling to keep it above 3.8, he's been really lethargic, and won't really eat or drink. I gave him some lucozade which took it up to 5, but within an hour it had dropped to 3.4.
He's in bed without having anything to eat or drink, over and the hospital and they are telling me to just monitor it through the night.
He has not been diagnosed with anything at present, but wondering when would you be worried?
I'm petrified of going to sleep in case he drops overnight and I don't know.

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That must be so scary. sorry I don't know enough to help though.
Would calling 111 give you a bit more support. or failing that take him to A&E .

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh what an awful worry for you. I'm afraid I can't really offer any opinion from personal experience as a little tot is a different person compared with an adult when it comes to hypos. The best I can suggest is phoning NHS24 and asking advice or else taking your son to A&E. It sounds like the advice to 'just monitor over night' is a bit of a cop out.
Sorry I can't offer better advice. I really do empathise with you.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My 18 month old son had a hypo 2 weeks ago, his levels were 0.9, first time it has happened since birth. He was put on a drip for 24 hours and had tests which were all clear, he has to go back in a month for further tests.
Yesterday he had another hypo, it was 1.3, gave him the gel and it went up to 3.3, since them I'm struggling to keep it above 3.8, he's been really lethargic, and won't really eat or drink. I gave him some lucozade which took it up to 5, but within an hour it had dropped to 3.4.
He's in bed without having anything to eat or drink, over and the hospital and they are telling me to just monitor it through the night.
He has not been diagnosed with anything at present, but wondering when would you be worried?

Tagging @noblehead for you as I believe he has some useful info that might be helpful.

In the meantime, I'd test regularly (and set alarms to,test during the night) Sre you giving him longer acting carbs after the Lucozade eg a digestive biscuit or a Weetabix, etc?

If you're in any doubt whatsoever, phone 111 or take him to A and E. It's always, always best and sensible to,err on the side of caution when you're dealing with such a young child. If it was me, I'd phone the hospital for advice or 111.

Tagging @himtoo too.

Sam'smum242

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
He won't eat anything, tried him with weetabix, jam on toast, crunchy nut, he's just not interested in food at all.
I rang the hospital as we have open access to the ward until his other tests on the 9th march, they have said to monitor him that's it, wait till it drops to 2.6 before I ring again, just seems to low to me x

wallyk65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm not medically trained but it sounds more like an issue with his body absorbing nutrients rather than diabetes. If he's not getting energy from food/drink then he will become lethargic. I would be insisting they take your concerns seriously and admit him into hospital.
As I say I'm not medically trained so don't want to scare you but if he was my child I'd be pushing hard to have him seen.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
He won't eat anything, tried him with weetabix, jam on toast, crunchy nut, he's just not interested in food at all.
I rang the hospital as we have open access to the ward until his other tests on the 9th march, they have said to monitor him that's it, wait till it drops to 2.6 before I ring again, just seems to low to me x

How's he today @Sam'smum242 ?

There is a condition that causes low blood sugar in children (not diabetes) and they usually grow out of it. I would hope you can get some advice about what to do and what foods are best to help him eg.how often should he eat and what.

Skye's_mummy

Type of diabetes
Type 1

My advice, your his mum if it takes you standing in A&E screaming and shouting for blood tests to be done then do it! You know you're child better than anyone else, if you know something is not right then stand your ground! My daughter was in severe ketoacidosis before she was diagnosed because doctors kept telling us there was 'nothing wrong' with her! I hope that it's nothing serious but please don't just let it go because they tell you to. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you x

Reactions: ME_Valentijn