Advice on foods for type 2

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by Debz229, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Debz229

Debz229 New Member

I have recently been told that I am diabetic and that I can control it by my diet, I am desperately trying to lose weight so I saw the dietary nurse at my GP surgery, I was told that anything sweet tasting is what I should be avoiding to my surprise this included peas, carrots, sweet potato, swede...? I love vegetables but all of the above are ones that I particularly like.
    Please somebody tell me can I eat them...? Is this nurse talking rubbish....?
    I work in a highly stressed job and do shift work which is really awkward....HELP
  2. daisy1

daisy1 Moderator

Hi Debz and welcome to the forum :) Some of the information you need is contained in this basic information that was written for new members. Have a read of this and then ask as many questions as you like as there is usually someone who can help you. I personally wouldn't eat any of the vegetables you list. But everyone is different and you may be able to tolerate small portions. You need to test before and 2 hours after eating them and you will see if you can eat them or not. The two results need to be similar.
  3. Debz229

Debz229 New Member

Thanks Daisy, I will have a read. You say you wouldn't eat the vegetables I listed is that because they are not good for you or because you don't like them...? My GP hasn't really explained anything I only found out on the 20th September I've had an eye screening and a diabetic check today I've not really been told anything which is quite worrying
  4. daisy1

daisy1 Moderator

I do love peas and carrots but I am doing a low carb diet so they are things that I have cut out. You need to see for yourself if you can eat them. It seems, unfortunately, to be usual not to be told anything. You have come to the right place here to find out all you need to know and you can ask as many questions as you want. It's very good that you have already had the eye screening - that's very important. Have you had the results? I hope all is OK.
  5. Debz229

Debz229 New Member

Thank you - I've been in a bit of a panic my Nan passed away last year due to type 2 which was controlled by diet and she was always 'very' careful. I only had my eye screening on 23rd September so I don't have the results yet, I can't check my blood sugars as I've not been given a tester. I really appreciate your help x
  6. daisy1

daisy1 Moderator

Try to get your DN/GP to give you testing equipment. You really do need to test to see which foods you can eat. If your DN/GP won't give you any test equipment then try phoning manufacturers to get a free meter and a few strips. There are also competitions to win a free one - they want you to use their strips. Your DN/GP may say to you that Type 2s don't need to test. Choose a meter which uses cheap strips. A lot of members here get their strips from e-bay.
  7. borofergie

borofergie Senior

Yes. You need to get a meter and test yourself.

Most of the worst carbs are the ones that don't taste sweet: rice, pasta, bread, potatoes, noodles, anything with flour in it.

It's also about portion size, some of the veg you mention might be relatively high in carbs, but you probably don't eat large quantities of them. I don't worry about peas, for example, because it's not like I'm going to eat half a plate full. But, as Daisy said, the only way to know for sure is by testing yourself a couple of hours after you eat.
  8. Carbdodger

Carbdodger Regular

Welcome
    I personally choose veg that is low carb. At diagnosis I bought the Collins Gem Calorie Counter which gives the carb count of foods including veg. I educated myself on what a serving size of a particular type of food equated to in carbs. It is now intuitive

So from my book sweet pots are 20.5 grams of carb per 100 gram compared to swede at 2.3. I eat swede on this basis. In fact at the weekend I made a swede and celeriac dauphinoise enjoyed by the whole family. They didn't bother with the potatoes I cooked just for them as the swede combo was so tasty!!

So I would encorage you to learn the carb value of foods and test your tolerance to different amounts. 50 grams spread over all meals is a high carb day for me.

Cd
  9. Daibell

Daibell Legend

Some of the best vegetables are beans and pulses such as lentils, kidney beans etc. They are very low-GI. Green vegetables are generally very good and low carb. There are many websites you can Google which list foods and their GI positioning.