Advice please

sonofnesbit

Dislikes
Injustice in the work place
Hi all, just found out I'm diabetic, which for the first couple of months is being controlled by diet and exercise, would you advise me getting a monitor?
Many thanks
Mick

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It would be very useful to get a monitor and if possible test strips from your gp. first it would allow you to see if diet and excercise is enough to control your levels. Also to monitor the different effects of different foods.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

sonofnesbit

Dislikes
Thanks Brett. To be fair I don't mind buying one. Is there one in particular I should look for. I imagine you can spend as little or as much as you like.
I know it's a terrible subjective thing to ask though :)

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Mick

The best thing to do is ask for a meter and strips from your GP. It is unlikely that you will get them as a Type 2 and may be given some bull about it worrying you or that a HbA1c is enough, the real reason why they don't prescribe strips is due to cost. It is essential to find out how food affects you, so you will have to fund a meter and strips yourself.

The Codefree has the cheapest ongoing costs and is available from ebay, Amazon or direct from http://www.homehealth-uk.com/medical/bl ... esting.htm

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Lol, not a terrible thing to ask. I'm lucky on that the test strips are provided on script. They are where the manufacturers make money. Most monitors are between 10 to 20 pounds, but I would advise to check on the cost of the strips and get the monitor to suit the strips.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

sonofnesbit

Dislikes
Thanks for the advice.
I have a very newbie question. What are the lancets? Are they the thing that pricks the finger.

Finzi

Yes, lancets are the thing that prick the finger. It's worth asking your GP/diabetic nurse first, as they may be fine giving you a meter. If they flatly won't, then I would recommend the Code Free because it is much cheaper to run - you can end up spending a lot on strips if you test a lot

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
sonofnesbit said:
Thanks for the advice.
I have a very newbie question. What are the lancets? Are they the thing that pricks the finger.

Yup and your family will know you as Lancelot forever more.