Afrezza inhaled fast acting insulin

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, Toujeo is recommended by Sanofi as the latest basal injectable. Toujeo is to be released only next week, so there are no comments to follow yet on how people actually feel about it. Toujeo is going to replace Lantus , as Lantus is losing its patent soon, meaning the generics are going to take over in its place.
Toujeo was approved for use in the United States on Feb. 25 and was RECOMMENDED for approval by European regulators two days later.
Toujeo is said to have a somewhat smoother action than Lantus.

I'd be reluctant to use Toujeo after finding Lantus totally unsuitable for me. I'd be interested to hear from Afrezza users who use a non Sanofi basal . I don't see why it couldn't be used with anything other than Lantus or Toujeo , but then again, Sanofi are hardly likely to recommend anything other than a basal from their own stable :rolleyes:

Signy

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'd be reluctant to use Toujeo after finding Lantus totally unsuitable for me. I'd be interested to hear from Afrezza users who use a non Sanofi basal . I don't see why it couldn't be used with anything other than Lantus or Toujeo , but then again, Sanofi are hardly likely to recommend anything other than a basal from their own stable :rolleyes:

Signy
I'd be reticent to use it as well, given that my issues don't seem to be with the insulin per se, rather the operational mechanism. It sounds as though Toujeo is very similar to Lantus in this respect and rather than have the insulin not absorb, I think I'll be sticking with protein linking rather than crystalline precipitation.

Reactions: 2 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, Toujeo is recommended by Sanofi as the latest basal injectable. Toujeo is to be released only next week, so there are no comments to follow yet on how people actually feel about it. Toujeo is going to replace Lantus , as Lantus is losing its patent soon, meaning the generics are going to take over in its place.
Toujeo was approved for use in the United States on Feb. 25 and was RECOMMENDED for approval by European regulators two days later.
Toujeo is said to have a somewhat smoother action than Lantus.
Are you only here to talk about Sanofi products?

mountainman

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Are you only here to talk about Sanofi products?

No, anything at all. And your question is rather odd.
These are the most recent for new products and both happen to be Sanofi. Always looking to learn and find the best for BG control.
The human body is so very complicated and how one person reacts to a drug is never the same as another, so the more new products there are to choose from , the better a chance that a good fit can be found for anyone. It's always like that - someone is sooo happy with product X and they can't understand why it is terrible for the next person. It is always that way. So, in view of this , we need new ideas and drugs in diabetes and innovative thinking to come up with better and better ways to treat it. It would be great to find that there are new products that work safer and faster, and just maybe there is that in Afrezza, so that is the reason I had researched it so much over the last year. I don't care who makes it or markets it.

I wish you a good day !

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No, anything at all. And your question is rather odd.
These are the most recent for new products and both happen to be Sanofi. Always looking to learn and find the best for BG control.
The human body is so very complicated and how one person reacts to a drug is never the same as another, so the more new products there are to choose from , the better a chance that a good fit can be found for anyone. It's always like that - someone is sooo happy with product X and they can't understand why it is terrible for the next person. It is always that way. So, in view of this , we need new ideas and drugs in diabetes and innovative thinking to come up with better and better ways to treat it. It would be great to find that there are new products that work safer and faster, and just maybe there is that in Afrezza, so that is the reason I had researched it so much over the last year. I don't care who makes it or markets it.

I wish you a good day !
So you have researched Tresiba, PEGLispro, Freestyle Libre, to name a few recent developments?

mountainman

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
So you have researched Tresiba, PEGLispro, Freestyle Libre, to name a few recent developments?

Tresiba yes, but I don't know anyone taking it. I had read that the very long acting insulins can stress the pancreas in Type II where they still are producing some insulin and that it can push the pancreas to work very hard, burning it out so to speak, then they end up Type I. Maybe you can tell me if you have heard of this or teach me further about Tresiba.
I would imagine it is hard to figure out just how long Tresiba is acting also, average 40 hours, but that could vary so much, I could picture someone thinking they are covered for this time period when they really are not, and get into a good-sized hyperglycemic situation.

PEGLispro, no, I know nothing. Freestyle Libre doesn't give a read out automatically , so I would think the Dexcom CGM would be more convenient. I also heard that the Libre may be tricky to use in really cold weather in some countries when you have to take the device out to do the reading.

I look forward to learning what more I can if you can fill me in -- if you have time - Two jobs keep me on the run. Thank you.

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i Admit its never been the injecting thats Borthered me having to inject 4/5 times a day is fine, its the finger pricking that gets me.

Billytrack

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
i Admit its never been the injecting thats Borthered me having to inject 4/5 times a day is fine, its the finger pricking that gets me.

I don't mind either that much. What I do mind is my blood sugar being all over the place - and I'm on a pump.

Take last night for example. I had a low carb broth for my dinner, I took 5 units of novorapid, and two hours later my BG was 15. I corrected. An hour later it's 16. I corrected again. All night it was high. Before I go to bed? Down to 4. Meaning I need to eat something. Sometimes I think it does it just to **** me off. I just can't handle it.

Reactions: 3 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I don't mind either that much. What I do mind is my blood sugar being all over the place - and I'm on a pump.

Take last night for example. I had a low carb broth for my dinner, I took 5 units of novorapid, and two hours later my BG was 15. I corrected. An hour later it's 16. I corrected again. All night it was high. Before I go to bed? Down to 4. Meaning I need to eat something. Sometimes I think it does it just to **** me off. I just can't handle it.

Yep, that's diabetes for you :wacky: at times :mad: Hang on in there :)

T.H. Brown

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

There's a conversation at TuDiabetes.org you can relate to:
http://www.tudiabetes.org/forum/top...rezza?id=583967:Topic:3647225&page=8#comments

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
how far apart did you correct? maybe it was a cumlative effect off all the corrections took you down? i hate being that low before bed

Billytrack

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
how far apart did you correct? maybe it was a cumlative effect off all the corrections took you down? i hate being that low before bed

Hi, maybe about an hour apart at most. I think it was a cumulative effect in hindsight, but it's FORESIGHT I want!! :)

The most problematic part is I don't understand why it went so high in the first place. It's not like it hardly happens either.

robertconroy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Just started Afreeza today. The chemist couldn't tell me how to use it. My Endocrinologist was puzzled because it comes in 4 unit doses. This is fine for a type 1 but most type 2s I know use 20 to 30 units before a meal. They should have given me the 8 unit cartridges, but sounds like he didn't know they exist. Hopefully I won't have to use this much with Afreeza as it's more efficient way to get it in your blood. It can cause breathing problems especially for a smoker or possibly an x smoker. Two cases of lung cancer developed in the trials, but may be a fluke too. I had already purchased stock in the company that makes it - Mannkind at $2.65 a share. It's been as high as $6 a share lately.

Update - Afrezza is now available in 4, 8, or 12 unit cartridges.

Last edited by a moderator:

T.H. Brown

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just started Afreeza today. The chemist couldn't tell me how to use it. My Endocrinologist was puzzled because it comes in 4 unit doses. This is fine for a type 1 but most type 2s I know use 20 to 30 units before a meal. They should have given me the 8 unit cartridges, but sounds like he didn't know they exist. Hopefully I won't have to use this much with Afreeza as it's more efficient way to get it in your blood. It can cause breathing problems especially for a smoker or possibly an x smoker. Two cases of lung cancer developed in the trials, but may be a fluke too. I had already purchased stock in the company that makes it - Mannkind at $2.65 a share. It's been as high as $6 a share lately.

There's a fellow named Sam Finta who has a blog and twitter account. He talks with anyone just getting started and he was on the clinical trial. He was possibly the first person to get a prescription when it came out a few months ago. Sam's blog is http://afrezzauser.com/blog/ and his twitter is https://twitter.com/afrezzauser.

Good luck with your endeavor.

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
@mountainman

Granted I know I am old school here. Type 1 for 33 years on four injections daily.

I am sceptical yes. You stated yourself why are people not making more of a fuss about this !

I wonder that also. Something apparently this amazing you would think would be all over the news, on the radio, in the news papers. There would be patients and diabetes professionals in the clinics talking about it.

It has only come to my attention through a few that seem to be really forcing it. I'm happy to wait before jumping on the band wagon.

Sorry for my lack of enthusiasm and for being somewhat boring !

I will though keep an open mind until ! :)

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
@mountainman

Just an observation mountainman but you have sent 45 posts and they have all been on this thread with no input into any others.

That makes me even more sceptical that you are on here for one reason only and that is to promote Sanofi !