Alcohol and holiday coming up

Kt0905

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all
Just wanted a bit of advise, how does everyone get on with alcohol and what's the best thing to drink.
I have always enjoyed a few drinks on a Friday night or at a party, I'm a cider drinker Bulmer or kopenberg for example but since being diagnosed in Jan I can't seem to have more then two without feeling bloated or gas'y and tired and I have only had say 3 nights actually having a drink since Jan and wondered how every one else gets on.
I am also due to go on holiday in about 6 weeks and would love a cocktail as you do but know these would be a no go, what any advise so can still have a fun holiday. Don't take that as I wouldn't enjoy it without the drink.
Look forward to ideas
Kirsty

C

chris lowe

Hello Kt, are you type 1 or 2? I think everyone reacts differently, sometimes I can have a drink (normally spirits + diet mixer) sometimes I have a reaction & spend an hour in the bathroom, once I've been sick I feel right as rain. Can't put any logic to why I can then I can't drink. I would give the Koparberg a miss as they are terribly sweet & try a dry cider. You might find cocktails being spirit based don't bloat you as much. A case of trial & error I think. Have a lovely holiday

Reactions: Kt0905

Kt0905

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello Kt, are you type 1 or 2? I think everyone reacts differently, sometimes I can have a drink (normally spirits + diet mixer) sometimes I have a reaction & spend an hour in the bathroom, once I've been sick I feel right as rain. Can't put any logic to why I can then I can't drink. I would give the Koparberg a miss as they are terribly sweet & try a dry cider. You might find cocktails being spirit based don't bloat you as much. A case of trial & error I think. Have a lovely holiday
Hi Chris,
Thanks for the reply
I am type 2 and on metformin 2 x twice a day
Kirsty

SueNSW

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a naughty girl Kirsty - I drink in moderation at home - normally white wine (dry) with dinner most nights and/or a Baileys and (semi skimmed) milk after dinner.

I was in Bali over Christmas, less than a month after starting on insulin - where cocktails are way cheaper than here in Australia - I drank plenty - including "creamy" ones and had absolutely no ill effects. I also drank the local light beer with no problem too.

Guess it may well be an individual thing though - as so many people find metformin difficult to handle - yet I'm taking maximum dose of the slow release and never had stomach issues.

Maybe I've just got a cast iron constitution - as never had Bali Belly either in all my many trips up there.

Hope you have a great holiday and do get to enjoy a cocktail or two :):)

Reactions: Kt0905

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi all
Just wanted a bit of advise, how does everyone get on with alcohol and what's the best thing to drink.
I have always enjoyed a few drinks on a Friday night or at a party, I'm a cider drinker Bulmer or kopenberg for example but since being diagnosed in Jan I can't seem to have more then two without feeling bloated or gas'y and tired and I have only had say 3 nights actually having a drink since Jan and wondered how every one else gets on.
I am also due to go on holiday in about 6 weeks and would love a cocktail as you do but know these would be a no go, what any advise so can still have a fun holiday. Don't take that as I wouldn't enjoy it without the drink.
Look forward to ideas
Kirsty
Hi @Kt0905 .. I think you have answered your own question when you say "I can't seem to have more then two without feeling bloated or gas'y and tired" .. so, have one .. or none.
I hate sounding like a miserable old git but since you also say "Don't take that as I wouldn't enjoy it without the drink", it seems to me to be a no-brainer
Having said that, a glass or two of wine (maybe with a non-sugar mixer such as soda water) is unlikely to affect you badly and will not be carb-heavy
Hope you have a good holiday

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Red wine and spirits lower my blood glucose readings substantially, and never make me sick. I'm not on any medication, so your results may be different, but I would say red wine or spirits would be your best bet. Cider is gassy, and quite sugary sometimes. I think you should try calvados and soda water instead. If you can't find calvados, just have a brandy and soda instead- same thing. Failing that, any spirit with 'zero calorie' mixer would work- vodka and coke zero, gin and diet tonic, Johnny Walker red and soda water etc. I like soda water coz there's no chance of it having hidden sugar, or bar staff giving you the 'wrong' one etc. Dry wines are good too- reds tend to have higher alcohol and less sugar- Cabernet Sauvignon-merlot blends are always available and they tend to be quite good; syrah, pinot noir- any of the common reds tend to be fine for my BG. Whites can be OK, but you need to be more careful; sweet riesling might be quite bad- I've never tried. Beer is the most carby: I've tried beer with a blood test, and it didn't actually raise my levels, but as with white wine, I can see why it's probably not the best choice for diabetics.

Made myself thirsty now...
Enjoy your holiday!

Reactions: jonbvn

jonbvn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Red wine and spirits lower my blood glucose readings substantially, and never make me sick.

This mirrors my own experience. However please note that red wine contains a lot of calories, so best not to overdo it