alcohol free beers

WaG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This may seem trivial but does any one know whether alcohol free beers are ok? I am newly diagnosed and am on a low dosage of metformin this is despite some radical changes to life style including reduction in alcohol.

I have come across a no alcohol lager called Bavaria, which contains mineral water, barley malt, wheat and hops it is very good but I do not want to risk any adverse effects on my diabetes however hot drinks and soda water are getting boring.

WaG

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
It's the carb content that matters, so read the nutritional info on the beer. I'm not a beer drinker so haven't tried it.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi WaG,

Nearly all beer, whether alcoholic or not, contains a high amount of sugar so is not good for diabetics.

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
Not forgetting the fact that it is quite disgusting?! :mrgreen:

whatashock

I am going on a stag weekend in a few weeks, whcih will be involving sitting in a field for two days with people drinking.

I have cut out alchohol completely at the moment as I do not know what effect it will have.

I am on 2x 500 metformin a day.

Any suggestions, of what I can drink??

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Not a great deal really whatashock !!

I love Guinness, but now restrict myself to only one or two pints a week. Don't need drink to enjoy myself - boy do I have fun. :lol:

As Dennis said earlier, it's not just Carbs, it,s Sugar as well. All part of the brewing process.

Sorry mate. :(

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Whatashock,

If you are a beer drinker then stick to Pilsner lagers because these have all the sugar fermented out of them - but that also makes them much stronger than beers that we are used to! Other than beer, any dry wine (white or red) or spirit but only with a zero-sugar or diet mixer. Steer well clear of alcopops because they contain enormous amounts of sugar.

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
Quite right Dennis just enjoying a Holsten Pils now, shame I can't have a bag of crisps though :(

whatashock

Somebody had already mentioned that to me.

Although I am not a huge drinker, is it a case of 1 or 2 or can I have a few. Isa pils high in carve, or can I not "have my cake and eat it"!!!!!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
whatashock said:
Somebody had already mentioned that to me.
Although I am not a huge drinker, is it a case of 1 or 2 or can I have a few. Isa pils high in carve, or can I not "have my cake and eat it"!!!!!

An extract about:
Carbs and Fibre in Alcohol-Free Lager
Food Item: Alcohol-Free Lager
Food Quantity: 12 fl oz
Carbs: 15g
Dietary Fiber: 0g
Net Carbs: 15g

Alcohol-Free Lager and Diet
Not permitted on low carb diets, beer (like Alcohol-Free Lager) is relatively high in calories with no dietary fiber and little nutrition. The energy in beer comes from the alcohol (3-6 percent, 7 calories per gram) and sugar. Moderate daily drinking (two 12oz glasses of beer for men; one glass for women) is considered safe and may be beneficial for health, but excessive drinking is associated with increased risk of cancer, hypoglycemia (low levels of blood glucose, caused here by alcohol preventing the liver from releasing glucose into the bloodstream) and may accelerate weight gain, obesity and even the onset of diabetes.

BOTTOM LINE: If you want to lose weight and stay healthy, keep your intake of beer to a sensible minimum.
Mind you the odd blow-out isn't going to kill you, yet. :lol:

Trinkwasser

My personal experience, about half a pint of beer is OK. More than that and the carbs outrun the alcohol. Alcohol-free lager is not a good plan as there isn't any alcohol just the carbs.

I can swill down a glass or three of red wine (preferably dry) with only beneficial results

Florence48

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It's the carb content that matters, so read the nutritional info on the beer. I'm not a beer drinker so haven't tried it.
I found Heiniken zero alcohol hol beer today and was assured it was no calories as well as no alcohol. You mention carbs, of which it has 4.8 per 100ml in a 330ml can. Is that too high? Not sure what the carb threshold is.

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Becks Blue information below - I've bought some but not tried it yet. Maybe you could experiment with one bottle before going on the weekend 'jolly'
Typical Values Typical Values Per 100ml
Energy Value Kj & Kcal 60 Kj / 14 Kcal
Fat 0
Saturates 0
Carbohydrate 3.1g
Sugars 0.2g
Protein 0.3g
Salt <0.1 g

D

Deleted member 308541

This may seem trivial but does any one know whether alcohol free beers are ok? I am newly diagnosed and am on a low dosage of metformin this is despite some radical changes to life style including reduction in alcohol.
I drink a low carb mid strength 3.5% beer called XXXX Gold, I have no problems with it and taking 2 x 500 g Metformin XR a day.

BHJSlbB.png

Carnotaurus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I have come across a no alcohol lager called Bavaria, which contains mineral water, barley malt, wheat and hops it is very good but I do not want to risk any adverse effects on my diabetes however hot drinks and soda water are getting boring.

WaG
Try here if you want to know which manufacturers disclose carb amounts in beer: http://health.philipcarney.com/post/168989692040/carbohydrates-in-beer

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I drink a low carb mid strength 3.5% beer called XXXX Gold, I have no problems with it and taking 2 x 500 g Metformin XR a day.

BHJSlbB.png

Very good lager @Tipetoo
I thought you would have been on The Bundaberg OP :)

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I personally don't drink any beer or alcohol sugar free or not mainly because I used to drink before diagnosis after I found if I had 1 beer usually wanted 2 or 3 then my self-control would stop working B,S.levels shot up solution stop drinking beer not hard to do still go out with the guys who drink watching them get drunk is entertaining and they soon stopped saying go on one wont hurt we play pool and I get better as they get worse if you know what I mean.

I also tried ALCOHOL FREE BEER AND WINE B.S. rose and did not enjoy now Start with Coke Zero 2 cans then bottled water