Alpha Lipoic Acid

AdrianMc

Type of diabetes
HCP
I've just been reading up about it and all the research that has been done. One thing I had wanted to know was the rate at which it starts to work and how long it is stored in the body ie is it cumulative like some other drugs. Apparently it is absorbed and in the brain and other cells within an hour, but is also excreted within 24 hours, so none is stored.

This seems very useful
https://examine.com/supplements/alpha-lipoic-acid/

Thanks for the link. Very interesting, the say a caloric surplus can suppress appetite. Take care!

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
I've started on r-ala. Hadn't seen the part in Dr Bernstein's book about it potentially lowering blood sugars, particularly if combined with evening primrose oil... fingers crossed. I'm taking 100mg 3 times per day with meals.
Have been reading more about small fibre neuropathy. Seems like many cases of so called 'idiopathic' neuropathy may be associated with slightly elevated blood sugar (levels which are probably not picked up as they may fall within the NICE guidelines of normal).
Sorry for not posting link... need to check out how to do it.
I really do suspect my neuropathy is caused by many years of having prediabetic BS levels. Not that this can be proved, but its the best reason the neurologist could put forward.
By the way, taking ALA hasn't had any affect on my blood sugar at all, in fact, its higher now than its ever been.

Begonia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Just an update on r-ala. I've been taking r-ala 100mg x 3 times per day with meals for almost 3 weeks now in an effort to help my neuropathy symptoms. While it hasn't proved to be an instant cure for me like some people experience, I do think it has helped quite significantly. Also I believe it has had a marked effect on my blood glucose levels. See attached graph of my Fasting Blood Glucose (7 day running average) against Carbs with the point at which I started r-ala indicated. I know its early days but I'm hoping this is a real and lasting effect.
FBGChart2.jpg

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Looks like the ALA has reduced blood glucose readings from around 5.2 to 4.8 in the above graph.

So it appears that ALA may help prevent neuropathy by reducing blood glucose as well as reduce the symptoms of neuropathy.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I bought some - have taken a few over the last couple of weeks and this morning I picked up my Sudoku book and finished off the last puzzle which I could not master earlier this year, and then completed another one.
It might be purely coincidental or it could be that after 5 months the effects of the tablets are wearing off - thank goodness.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It has significantly helped my neuropathy. Not completely gone but most times it s just faint. Not sure I'd even notice it if I weren't aware of it.

I as well have been taking 300 mg a day. I take 100 at bf and noon and 50mg at 10 am and 3pm. I like to spread it out.

As far as lowering bs I have definatley seen a difference when I take it with food AND insulin. If I take it between meals without insulin I do see a rise. Not sure of the mechanism for that. I don't see a huge difference but I do stay steadier and can even drop a bit where before I might see a slight increase in bs. That being said my bs doesn't fluctuate a lot as I eat the same everyday but this also makes it easier to see any changes.

It has helped me in so many other ways as well. The occasional slight vertigo when showering, muscles feel much stronger, everything seems brighter and less annoying and the list goes on.

Reactions: Bluetit1802