Alternatives to metformin?

sdurkin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been taking Metformin for 15-20 years. I recently (last 3 years) have been told that I am B12 deficient and have injections every 12 weeks. Metformin can make you B12 deficient. This seems crazy to me! Is there an alternative diabetic medication that can do the same job as Metformin without making you B12 deficient? I am also on 34 units of Lantus long-acting insulin daily.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you spoken to your doctor about coming off the Metformin?
Is it actually doing your blood sugars any good?

Welcome to the forum by the way!

sdurkin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you spoken to your doctor about coming off the Metformin?
Is it actually doing your blood sugars any good?

Welcome to the forum by the way!
It would be nice to speak to a doctor, apparently I have a named doctor in my GP surgery - one I have never seen. We only get to see a DSN.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It would be nice to speak to a doctor, apparently I have a named doctor in my GP surgery - one I have never seen. We only get to see a DSN.

Speak to your nurse then. I also have never seen a doctor in relation to my diabetes. All T2 diabetes care is devolved to the nurses in my surgery. They can discuss Metformin with you, and either take you off it or advise against that. Ask her what good it is doing you, and if any benefit to you is worth the B12 deficiency.

Tannith

BANNED
Does anyone know if the B12 deficiency is one that can be put right by tablets. Or are injections essential because metformin causes absorption problems?