Am I being impatient or unreasonable about my hba1c results??

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning I was hoping for some advice before I phone my stupid surgery again...!!!
I had my first hba1c test on the 11th January when I made this appointment (I had to make the appointment myself I wasn't called in) I requested a printout of my results I was told yes but ask the nurse who takes your blood !! So I did and on 13th Jan I phoned to see if my results were back they were so I said I'd pop down and get the results ... oh no you can't do that we can't give them to you you will be contacted if there's a problem?? I explained I'd asked to be told either way as I've been working hard to lower my bg the receptionist said ok I'll request your doctor to write to you I thought finally!!!!
Meanwhile I'd made another appointment off my own back to have a diabetic check up like foot care etc .. for the 30th Jan.
I received a letter from my doctor yesterday saying your blood results are normal please keep your appointment on the 30th to discuss !!!!..... NORMAL!?!?!? What is normal??? Should I be expected to wait this long to be told when all I really want is one number !!!! Am I being unreasonable!!!

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did that but just got fobbed off I just want to know how low I've gone from 99 to what ?? 42 hopefully

Reactions: Prem51

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't blame you..have you asked about online access? I get my results that way..keeps contact with the surgery to a minimum and is better for my blood pressure.

No I've not done that but it's sounds like a great idea thank you

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No, you aren't being unreasonable! They are YOUR test results.
Just keep pushing, and try and get that online access (you will need to sign a form and provide some ID and suchlike, but all English doc surgeries have been obliged to provide the service since last April).

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Totally agree on the online access being a far superior approach than the needless grovelling many of us are put through.

I have to say though, I have been astonished by the number of people on here saying their practices don't yet have it.

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just been to the doctors and asked for my results or for someone who can tell me them to phone me !!! I only have to wait till the 24th now that's when the next available phone call is ?!?! Absolute joke but i have registered online now not sure if that will be much here....

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am so grateful that my surgery is so ahead of the game on this. I have never had any difficulty in getting a print out and am now on line. Hearing stories of difficult surgeries angers me.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Am I being unreasonable!!!

No I don't think you are, I don't like it myself when they say ''normal'' and I'm always inquisitive to know the actual breakdown/numbers.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just been to the doctors and asked for my results or for someone who can tell me them to phone me !!! I only have to wait till the 24th now that's when the next available phone call is ?!?! Absolute joke but i have registered online now not sure if that will be much here....

All my blood test results going back to 2006 are on-line, plus a lot of other stuff. Wonderful. (But it does take several days for it all to appear because the GP has to authorise your initial access. Once that is done, test results appear about 24 hours after the bloods were taken.

I've never had any trouble getting my results over the phone (prior to being on-line) and then popping down for a print out. Our receptionists do all this. I don't blame you for being furious. I would be, too. You need to push, and when you see your doctor/nurse, get those print outs. You will need to see what your other functions are (cholesterol, liver, kidneys etc.) Never accept "normal" or "fine" because as you say, what they consider normal/fine may not be what you consider normal/fine.

BarbaraG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I asked for my result and was told "Normal", so I asked for the number (40, down from 62 in case you're interested :) )

I would love to get results online, but though my practice offers online access, all it seems to do is enable you to order repeat prescriptions and make appointments.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I asked for my result and was told "Normal", so I asked for the number (40, down from 62 in case you're interested :) )

I would love to get results online, but though my practice offers online access, all it seems to do is enable you to order repeat prescriptions and make appointments.

Surgeries were asked to include test results from last April. Maybe you should ask if this has now been done - you will have to register again.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Barbara - I had to ask for extended access to see my patient record, rather than just the prescription details (I have nothing on there), and the ability to make appointments. Once I had done that (I chose to do it in writing, then we both had a record of it), it was enabled in about 24 hours.

Could be worth asking again?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No I don't think you are, I don't like it myself when they say ''normal'' and I'm always inquisitive to know the actual breakdown/numbers.
Don't get me started. I have mentioned things at my surgery and got nowhere. I had a blood test to check on kidney function so I asked how I would know the result. I was told that if there was anything wrong they would contact me. So, a lack of info means I'm fine or the system is cocked up but I don't know which.

Rant over and apologies if that was a hi-jack.

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Been online and saw blood results tab I'm sorry this surgery does not offer this option but I can make an appointment or repeat prescription

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My surgery always has a copy of my results waiting for when I go in and they give me everything - fasting, HBa1c , total cholesterol, split HDL /LDL , triglycerides, BP and even kidney and liver function. But there again I also have a doctor that prescribes test strips and lancets without question. I don't know if it is because I work hard at this as he has commented before he wishes they were all like me as too many won't change their diet and just want the pills. As I said in another post I'm lucky.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@Terryrhino I would ring the surgery again and simply say "They are the results of tests done on me. The data therefore belongs to me. Please tell me the number for the Hba1C result"

If you get a straight "No", ask why. If they can't tell you why, ask to speak to the practice manager and then explain to them that they are wasting their time and yours, at a cost to both you and the surgery. Tell them you have some ideas for them that would help them improve their efficiency, one of which is delivering test results over the phone to those who ask, which would free up doctor's slots that are unnecessarily consumed for the administrative tasks.

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would be very frustrated in your situation @Terryrhino , enough to go to the surgery and kick up a stink.
I had this problem last year, in that, when I asked for the result I was told that she couldnt tell me as she was a HCP. I said "Can you read?" then just read out the numbers. Otherwise I need a 45 min appointment, not a 30 min with DN so I can digest the figures and formulate my questions.
I have not had a problem since, and most of my consultations are now over the phone, not annually, but as and when needed (by me)