Am I diabetic?

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Think I might need help on using the Forum

It takes some time to get to know it... just look around or even search the forum, but I found that I learned a lot just by reading the different discussion threads

here is a link to the search function , you can find it in the top of the page otherwise :
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/search/?type=post

Last edited:

hooha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
long queues.
Hello
New diagnosis, diabetic nurse is lovely. I have been pre diabetic for 2 years. I was not over weight but I have lost a bit of weight. I am just a little bit confused and in denial that I am diabetic.
Nurse said x 2 BMs 7.1 and 7.6 (I think) is a diagnosis. I was given a pack and nurse is going to refer on to other services. No medication needed. Would I have symptoms with these BMs I have been tired and had blurred vision. I have another appointment with Nurse next month.
Thank you for your help.

Hello
New diagnosis, diabetic nurse is lovely. I have been pre diabetic for 2 years. I was not over weight but I have lost a bit of weight. I am just a little bit confused and in denial that I am diabetic.
Nurse said x 2 BMs 7.1 and 7.6 (I think) is a diagnosis. I was given a pack and nurse is going to refer on to other services. No medication needed. Would I have symptoms with these BMs I have been tired and had blurred vision. I have another appointment with Nurse next month.
Thank you for your help.
Dear BKW,
Diabetic advice in UK and elsewhere is in a mess. My own experience with the diabetic nurse was shocking . I knew more about it than she did, and her advice was hopelessly out of date. My GP’s had allowed me to plod along as a ‘ pre diabetic ‘ for years without sternly warning me of the impending fate awaiting me. I had no idea I would actually become a fully fledged diabetic.
Thank the Gods and the Internet , that when given the shock diagnosis [ yes it is a helluva shock, especially if you really think about it and the complications and the confusing contradicting advice offered,]
well, I was able to educate myself out of the panic stricken predicament they had allowed me to land in.
‘They’ are the GP’s in the practice who failed to warn me over the years and then ACTIVELY tried to discourage me from curing myself!!
Yes it is possible to cure type 2 diabetes.
I had read about it and suggested it. ‘’Oh we don’t recommend that ‘’ , they said.
I went ahead anyway. Don’t wait for ‘’referral on to other services’’ Google the story of Richard Doughty and Carlos Cervantes in Guardian newspaper uk and also in Daily Mail where Richard makes the headline ‘ cured in 11 days’ ! That is a bit of neat journalism but if you think two months you will be on the mark with luck.
All the info and links on those two pages, can guide you in further study. I was ‘’cured’’ first stage in 12 days or so, and really sorted out fully at the end of two months. I am now free but still careful.
The politics of all this is disgusting , an almost unbelievable disgrace. Frankly mediaeval. An orthopaedic surgeon in Australia has almost been struck off for telling his diabetic patients what to eat to avoid amputations etc. He has kept his licence but is banned from speaking about nutrition. Court cases will follow.Things will change soon.

Lastly to ram home my point about out of date advice : the term BM is not used and is meaningless. The correct term is Blood Glucose [ or e.g FBS for fasting blood sugar ] You can find an article about that by googling the journal of diabetes nursing. GOOD LUCK

BKW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dear BKW,
Diabetic advice in UK and elsewhere is in a mess. My own experience with the diabetic nurse was shocking . I knew more about it than she did, and her advice was hopelessly out of date. My GP’s had allowed me to plod along as a ‘ pre diabetic ‘ for years without sternly warning me of the impending fate awaiting me. I had no idea I would actually become a fully fledged diabetic.
Thank the Gods and the Internet , that when given the shock diagnosis [ yes it is a helluva shock, especially if you really think about it and the complications and the confusing contradicting advice offered,]
well, I was able to educate myself out of the panic stricken predicament they had allowed me to land in.
‘They’ are the GP’s in the practice who failed to warn me over the years and then ACTIVELY tried to discourage me from curing myself!!
Yes it is possible to cure type 2 diabetes.
I had read about it and suggested it. ‘’Oh we don’t recommend that ‘’ , they said.
I went ahead anyway. Don’t wait for ‘’referral on to other services’’ Google the story of Richard Doughty and Carlos Cervantes in Guardian newspaper uk and also in Daily Mail where Richard makes the headline ‘ cured in 11 days’ ! That is a bit of neat journalism but if you think two months you will be on the mark with luck.
All the info and links on those two pages, can guide you in further study. I was ‘’cured’’ first stage in 12 days or so, and really sorted out fully at the end of two months. I am now free but still careful.
The politics of all this is disgusting , an almost unbelievable disgrace. Frankly mediaeval. An orthopaedic surgeon in Australia has almost been struck off for telling his diabetic patients what to eat to avoid amputations etc. He has kept his licence but is banned from speaking about nutrition. Court cases will follow.Things will change soon.

Lastly to ram home my point about out of date advice : the term BM is not used and is meaningless. The correct term is Blood Glucose [ or e.g FBS for fasting blood sugar ] You can find an article about that by googling the journal of diabetes nursing. GOOD LUCK
Thank you that is interesting. I will have a look.

BKW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But I would take those referrals. Were your tests random blood sugars or A1C3 tests?
Fasting bloods taken one routine (every 6 months and last one to check if diabetic. I have had blurred vision and an overwhelming tiredness at times but nurse didnt think its anything to do with my blood sugars. Thanks for your reply

hooha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
long queues.
Fasting bloods taken one routine (every 6 months and last one to check if diabetic. I have had blurred vision and an overwhelming tiredness at times but nurse didnt think its anything to do with my blood sugars. Thanks for your reply

Fasting Blood Sugar [ actually it's really Plasma blood sugar that is quoted these days ] of 7.1 and 7.6 is high and could cause blurred vision and tiredness . Unit here is mmol/ litre .
Multiply by 18 to get the readings in mg/ dL ie. you have 127.8 and 136.8 .
Normal is below 100. '' Pre diabetes '' is up to 125. Above that is full diabetes. Some diabetics talk about having had their levels shoot up to 200 or 300 or more, but that is not good.
By the way some people quote normal as up to 108 , but I don't agree. The highest authorities on this say normal is up to 100.