Am I entitled?

rma61087

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am 26 and lost my last job due to my undiagnosed diabetes (T2 ) ...I am on 2 metformin twice a day but will probably be on insulin soon as my sugars are way high ( 15 + most of the time ) I also take medication for chronic depression and am under investigation for fibro/MS.

Doea anyone know if I'd be entitled to DLA? Have been told before I may be entitled with just my depression, but am not sure.

Also am unemployed and unsure whether to be honest about my conditions in fear of going through the rigmarole of esa.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I would try speaking to Citizens Advice Bureau maybe and see what they say ? If not, can you not just contact Benefits Office and try claiming ? If I were you, I'd be honest about my conditions because if not, they may find a job which maybe isn't suited and you could end up losing benefits.

Reactions: 2 people

rma61087

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's what I'm worried about. Taking on a job and then being too sick to do it and being fired a few months in like before

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
All your conditions I have had....fibro and depression gone.. But after 30 yrs given up with T1-lol!!

Benefits is a minefield.....

1) DLA is now PIP and even more stringent. So very unlikely unless you are so bedridden or have been admitted to hospital under mental health for attempting suicide.... Sorry.. That is how tough it is......

2) if you've paid enough NI contributions and tax ( assuming you are not seeking asylum etc) for the previous 2 years then you should be able to get unemployment, but I cannot guarantee this.

For PIP, you stand less than 5% chance with just the conditions you describe! but it depends upon severity of the conditions.

KellyBu22

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercise
Mushrooms
Coffee
Ignorance
Racism
Bullying (any form)
I am 26 and lost my last job due to my undiagnosed diabetes (T2 ) ...I am on 2 metformin twice a day but will probably be on insulin soon as my sugars are way high ( 15 + most of the time ) I also take medication for chronic depression and am under investigation for fibro/MS.

Doea anyone know if I'd be entitled to DLA? Have been told before I may be entitled with just my depression, but am not sure.

Also am unemployed and unsure whether to be honest about my conditions in fear of going through the rigmarole of esa.

I would contact JCP and get a DLA/PIP form and complete as though it's your very very worst day.

I am diabetic type 2, have depression, bipolar, osteoarthritis and anxiety and I claim DLA.

I also worked full time for the benefits office for 13 years on different contracts the most recent being for ESA and I would also advise you to claim that also as this proves that you are poorly and consider yourself to have an illness that prevents you working and keeping a job.

It's all in the wording and know how as to whether you can claim, as different illnesses mean different things to different people as some can cope with having these types of illness and others cannot. I take 58 tablets everyday as well as insulin so I know how hard juggling work, illness and life can be.

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Just letting you know my partner applied for pip June last year went for the assessment September last year and she finally got pip last month, it takes a long time for pip to be sorted out

Type 2 diagnosed 24/01/2013.
Novomix 30, Victoza, Simvistatin.

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

By e sounds of it you would be better going for ESA the first 365 days are contribution based then after that it is income based

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
All your conditions I have had....fibro and depression gone.. But after 30 yrs given up with T1-lol!!

Benefits is a minefield.....

1) DLA is now PIP and even more stringent. So very unlikely unless you are so bedridden or have been admitted to hospital under mental health for attempting suicide.... Sorry.. That is how tough it is......

2) if you've paid enough NI contributions and tax ( assuming you are not seeking asylum etc) for the previous 2 years then you should be able to get unemployment, but I cannot guarantee this.

For PIP, you stand less than 5% chance with just the conditions you describe! but it depends upon severity of the conditions.

Sorry to disagree with you on this but pip is a point based system and if you get enough points you get pip if you don't you won't get it, my partner is not bed ridden and can get about however she does have Crohn's disease and she got enough points to be awarded it

Adele99

You can make a claim for both ESA and PIP. Both require an assessment at some point from which a decision award is made. ESA is out of work benefit . PIP is paid to people both in work and out of work and is not counted as income as such .

However neither of these 2 is awarded on the basis of your actual diagnosis, but how your condition affects you in relation to certain written descriptors. ESA assesses what you can do with regard to any type of work despite your condition, and PIP assesses what care or mobility needs you have with your condition. And both benefits are subject to long delays just now.

You'd be best to get help filling out the forms from a welfare advisor. It's incorrect to fill out your form based on your worst day unless every day is actually your worst day. Exaggerating your claim could leave you open to being investigated and being asked to pay back some of the payments you've received . All it takes is someone who doesn't like you to report you. It's well known that Fibromyalgia is a variable condition with some days or weeks better than others for the majority of people.

Honesty is the best policy here.

rma61087

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you, it's funny you've written this today as I've just lost another job due to my health (back pain and spasms) I know it's not diabetes related but it's devastating :-(

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i suffer with depression and get dla
its worth applying

gingecoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
Tories
The problem with the assessments is they are allegedly done by health-care professionals. They are not, the people doing these are are not even able to prescribe a pain killer let alone your ability to work. The questions are a yes or no, and no grey areas. My partner for instance is clinically depressed, for 7 years in a steady decline. On her assessment there was just three questions relating to mental health: "are you able to talk to a stranger" "are you able to go outdoors" "can you get on a bus to the other side of town without getting lost or confused" Because she was able to answer yes on that basis she was deemed fit to work. It's disgusting and not worth the paper it's written on. If a doctor (a real professional) says your unfit to work who is a private "nurse" to say your not! I wish you good luck but I don't fancy your chances unless your willing to lie through your teeth. Personally if I thought I was unable to work that's exactly what I would do!

jess2222

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
type 2 diabetes
hi always be honest and speak clearly,be polite but be strong if you have to fught your disision.im type 2 but have other problems as well,ie nerve damage,eptopic heartbet,dizzy,blackouts,mine was a new claim and refused,i appealed and won,stanard rate,remember its not your codition it how it affects your daily life,but yes Defo you are intitled to something,plus mental health you have ..depression is a dificult one,because whos to say whats going on in your head,try not to worry ..goodluck

duranie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Winter!
Hi, I have type 1 with painful peripheral neuropathy, gastroparesis, postural hypotension, osteoarthritis, and have had rectal cancer this year - I now have an ileostomy so am considered faecally incontinent - I'm understandably also being treated for depression and I have just been turned down for PIP.
I'm trying to appeal as I literally cannot leave the house alone at the moment, but it's taken over a year and I've been told they are so far behind with call backs it's not true.
So all the best, but I believe you have to be practically immobile and bed ridden to stand any chance

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi, I have type 1 with painful peripheral neuropathy, gastroparesis, postural hypotension, osteoarthritis, and have had rectal cancer this year - I now have an ileostomy so am considered faecally incontinent - I'm understandably also being treated for depression and I have just been turned down for PIP.
I'm trying to appeal as I literally cannot leave the house alone at the moment, but it's taken over a year and I've been told they are so far behind with call backs it's not true.
So all the best, but I believe you have to be practically immobile and bed ridden to stand any chance

The testing for PIP payments is dire.
I hope you get your appeal through.

My step sister had anal cancer and is on the mend now although like you has an ileostomy bag. As she lives in Spain and has to pay for so much over there we have got her free samples of lift plus spray, cleanser, etc... All the relatives in the UK have gone on to the website that supplies these and asked for free samples. My stepdad has had to pay for nurse care when she came out of hospital and a cleaner for her as she found that she like you was finding life difficult and Spain having even less help without money made things so much worse for her.
On the good point she is now able to leave house and is managing to get a flight over here for a couple of weeks that my stepdad is paying for.
I'm picking her up from airport but facing a 3 hour drive after she has landed to get her with mum and stepdad... Just wondering how she going to manage this after such a new thing such as travel to airport and sitting on plane etc...and then another long sit down driving to our parents...

Getting benefits is dreadfully hard.. Annoying and stressful that so many people have to appeal and the delays are horrendous.
I wish you good luck and hope your appeal is read soon and a positive outcome....

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have lived on Spain for many years and the health care is second to none. But there is no after care and it is down to you to arrange it . They do have social services which if you are eligible you can ask for help . They are very family orientated hospital rooms allow a family member to sleep at night to help out.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
you won,t get dla for the diabetes but you can for depression

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I have lived on Spain for many years and the health care is second to none. But there is no after care and it is down to you to arrange it . They do have social services which if you are eligible you can ask for help . They are very family orientated hospital rooms allow a family member to sleep at night to help out.

Are the family member allowed to stay overnight because the nurses nurse... Not care?? Eg my ssister when so poorly had her son go in and wash and bathe her and help her to the toilet etc.. He fed her too. The nurses in her hospital didn't do any of that sort of thing, it was down to family or friends I believe.

Yes, it was the aftercare that my stepdad paid for as she was so poorly with a young son and her hubby had died in the previous 3 months.

I've geard of a chap that ended up staying in a tenerife hospital and he said the cleansing of the wards was second to none. Everyday the beds were stripped and the mattresses scrubbed. I certainly never had that in my last hosp stay.

DLA has been replaced by PIP for new claimants and it is definitely not a forgone conclusion that you will be given any payment for depression....all DLA persons will be reviewed as well eventually and it would be unwise to think that because you have money for depression now that you will continue...