Am I in denial.

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
Hi all I have just been diagnosed with type2 on Thursday 10-05-12 nurse has put on Metformin, after 3 blood test first showing 7.1, second showing 5.2, and third showing 6.9. I was sent to hospital for the fasting blood test results being before drink 5.1 after 3 hours it was 11. I have been feeling tiered for some time but nothing I would call debilitating, and I have been putting it down to driving 11/2hr each way to work and doing a days work on top, I am 51 and 5' 10" tall and weigh 16,5st which is overweight I know, my job as Project Manager involves a fair bit of walking each day but I guess more exercise would not go amiss, I show no other symptoms to my knowledge. Have they got it right, have I got diabetes or are they just going the easy route. Am I in denial or what, because I sure as hell do want to face the prospect of my future with it, after reading some stuff in books and on here my head is a mess I find the prospect daunting and confusing to say the least, my Mother in law has Type 1 which she got at 40 after the birth of her last child 9 in total, and she has had to have laser treatment for her eyes she has now gone blind in one eye. And that is putting the fear of Christ in me. What do I do.

MaryJ

Hi Roy

Welcome to the forum.

You get diagnosed as diabetic if you have 2 fasting blood tests over 7. Your tests are in the ball park, possibly more pre-diabetic but your GTT of 11 suggests diabetic.

My advice is to make changes to your diet and live as a diabetic. Get your hands on a meter and test away. If you get a reading >8.5 (or 7.8 if you prefer to aim lower as some members do) either eliminate or reduce the carb in that meal.

If you are consistently getting <7.8 after your meals I would challenge the diagnosis. To be honest tho' I don't think you will.

Keep a food and BG reading diary for yourself and for the doc if needbe.

you will feel knocked for 6 for a while, especially with your MIL having diabetic complications but you are able, with changes to delay or avoid these kind of things.

Take your time, read and ask questions. Hopefully, in time you will see this as a positive time in your life

Mary x

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Roy and welcome to the forum :)
I think you are going to have to accept your diagnosis in view of your GTT test where diabetes is diagnosed at 11.1. It is borderline but so close that I think you need to start looking after yourself properly to reduce the risk of future complications. I felt like you at first and refused to believe it. Don't assume that what happened to your Mother in law will happen to you. I hope they gave/will give you testing equipment as this is essential to judge whether what you eat is suitable for you. You need to test before and 2 hours after your meal. If they won't give you testing equipment, which is likely for a Type 2, then you will have to fund it yourself. Ask on this forum if you would like advice on which makes of tester and strips to get.

Here is some information which we give to new members and should help you to look after yourself as well as possible. Ask all the questions you like as there is always someone here to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find well over 30,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes ... rains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips
The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please sign our e-petition for free testing for all type 2's; here's the link:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/petition/

Do get your friends and colleagues to sign as well.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Hello Roy and welcome to the forum.

You sound pre diabetic rather than full on T2 although your GTT of 11 would be JUST high enough for a full T2 diagnosis. My advice is do some serious life style changes now. The way T2 works is that in many cases if you catch it early a change of diet and losing weight means you can effectively get it into remission but NOT cured. What I mean by remission is that you can get back to having normal blood sugar levels and thus minimise the risks of diabetic complications. I hope your gp told you about those. I was diagnosed full on T2D in December last year and using the advice I found on this site I got my blood sugar levels back to normal within around a couple of months or so and I have also normalised my cholesterol levels and blood pressure as well. I have now lost 3 stone in weight as well. I went to see my doctor this week and he is very pleased how I am getting on and has advised me to keep doing what I have been doing since it's obviously working really well.

A bit about Metformin. Metformin is a really safe and effective medication. It is not a magic bullet however and is best used when you change your diet as well. In fact changing diet is usually by far the best thing any T2 can do and in my opinion is ten times better than any medication. Metformin works by helping to keep your blood sugar levels lower after you eat. It can have some initial side side effects, stomach cramps, running to the loo etc. If these persist for more than a few days go back to the doctor and ask for the slow release SR version as that usually helps. Metformin is also good as it reduces the risks of developing heart conditions. Many of us who could give up Metformin as we have control of our blood sugar levels still take Metformin for that reason.

Diet wise its really easy. Just drastically cut down or better cut out all things with plain sugar, so biscuits, cakes, sugar in tea and coffee, pure fruit juices, non diet versions of soft drinks. Next and really importantly try halving starchy foods like rice, pasta, potatoes, bread, cereals and any other flour based products. Replace what's now missing with extra meat, fish, eggs, cheese and especially vegetables. Vegetables that grow above ground are best although most of us find carrots fine. Things like yoghurt are fine as is a small amount of fresh fruit. I find the ones that end in "berry" are the best. If you don't mind artificial sweeteners things like Diet Coke are fine to drink. On the starchy foods that are left swap try brown basmati rice instead of white and brown or tri-colour pasta. The bread that most recommend is actually Bergen soya bread but some do ok with wholemeal as well.

The above diet is close to one you would be one recommended to try by the Swedish Health service. It was introduced in that country last year and the American health service and several other countries health services recommend something very similar for Type 2 diabetics. In the UK the diet guidelines are now over 30 years old and are only gradually being updated. As the UK is lagging behind you may find what I and other forum members recommend will be different to what your are told is a good diet for you follow.

Next most members would recommend you test your own blood sugar levels. Did your doctor give you a meter and strips? Some do and some don't. It's a bit of a post code lottery and we find some progressive surgeries are pro testing and others anti. I'll warn you the anti ones can sometimes be very vocally anti!

The reason testing is important is you should try and keep your blood sugars below 8ish two hours after eating any meal. Above the 8 value is where the dangers of complications do begin to occur according to diabetic experts. So if you can't test how will you now if what you are eating is keeping you safe? The problem is every diabetic is different so my earlier advice to halve starchy foods is just a rough guide. You may find you need to eat less than half (like me) or that you can eat more than half like others.

As you get into it all and read around the forum you may see people talking about carb counting. If you want to understand what that is just ask. It is a powerful weapon that a diabetic can use to control their condition and one that many of us use to great effect.

Good luck and keep asking questions.

PS Here's two good links about what's good to eat.

First is the lady doctor who's low carb / low GI recommendations seem to form the basis of what's recommended in Sweden

http://blogg.passagen.se/dahlqvistannika/?anchor=my_lowcarb_dietary_programe_in

Second is a good beginners guide to low carb regimes that are excellent for reducing blood sugar levels and losing weight.

http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
Thank you to all who have replied: The above posts have and will be very helpfull, I am sure the information is in here to find, but sometimes we all need our hand held and shown to the light, rather than fumbling about in the dark. My nurse gave me a booklet with information in and has made appointments for eyes, feet and dietician. Things don't sink in right away so some of what she said I may have forgot, they never offered a test meter, but reading what the folk on here say, it is integral to ones own treatment.
So fruit is not good for you? I eventually had 2 wheetabix with semi skimmed milk for breakfast, for Lunch some Mellon, Grapefruit, and pear in a bowl with low fat yoghurt and thought I was doing well, for my evening meal I had small piece of steak with onions and mushrooms in Diane source, 3 smallish boiled potatoes and mixed veg. not really got a clue if I'm right, but hunger finally got the better of me. I am reading a book called 50 Diabetes myths can ruin your life. Am on page 80 and thinking do I really want to read the rest!! Given the fact my surgery may not give me a test meter, as my doctor pulled a face when I told him I had got a blood pressure meter to monitor my high blood pressure, what would be one of the best ones? one that I can put the data on my PC to monitor results and print off to give Doctor. hey do they do an all in one bits of lit a one fits all, the rate things are going I might end up with an AE unit in my bedroom, Ha ha. Once again thank you for your help and probably your patience. I know you will have been asked these things a million times. But it seems we are the New epidemic.

MaryJ

Hi Roy

Don't apologise for asking questions, it's vital until you get your head round it.

You are probably going to go through some or all the usual change process, like denial (tick), anger, immobilisation, depression and finally acceptance.

Re the meter, there are lots on the market and many do have gizmo's so you can download your data, many go for the ones with the cheapest strips. Ive got the aviva accu check works ok for me.

Don't worry re eating the wrong things at the moment, its a time for research. Once I got my meter I as away with my stats. Worst reads I got was 15.5 porridge, 12.5 1 piece brown bread, 15.8 pizza. once I knew this i didnt eat them again. However, I've been ok with quiche and salmon wellington (pastry) . Smaller portions than pre db.

Re the fruit, most people find berries are better eg strawberries, blueberries, blackberries. Bananas and grapes the worst but you really have to find out for yourself.

the most important thing is you are taking control of it which will lead you to accepting the condition more quickly.

Mary x

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
Thanks people, Food seems a bit like the Atkins diet I once tried, and yes I am ticking all those boxes right now fear is prevalent, still at the denial and anger stage being followed by depression which comes in peaks and troughs. :crazy: :crazy:

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
RoyG said:
Thanks people, Food seems a bit like the Atkins diet I once tried, and yes I am ticking all those boxes right now fear is prevalent, still at the denial and anger stage being followed by depression which comes in peaks and troughs. :crazy: :crazy:
But this site is great help.

MaryJ

It's very much like Atkins but you can go as low with the carbs as you can feel comfy with or what your meter says is ok

Viv has put a modified atkins diet advice on the low carb forum which you may find useful

Mary x

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
I can have my Peperami Salami sausage then, only trace sugars and 2.5g carbs per 100g and my peperami is 25g portion it's a small victory I know!! but it's something, one for super then.

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
RoyG said:
I can have my Peperami Salami sausage then, only trace sugars and 2.5g carbs per 100g and my peperami is 25g portion it's a small victory I know!! but it's something, one for super then.
Absolutely it's a victory!! :wink: A lot of the Low carb snacks e.g Peperami,cheese,olives etc were favourites of mine before diagnosis so I was chuffed to find out I could carry on with them even though my useless Nurse told me to drop all of those and "Eat more fruit and wholemeal bread" as apposed to what she deemed my snack choice,"Rubbish" in her own words! :roll: Thank god I saw "The other way" on here!! :thumbup:

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
Chuffed now, going to get me a meter, the menu thing I was given by the nurse has mostly, all those things which can be bad on it fruit wholemeal bread it's produced by the British Hypertension society ??? now while I have Hypertension I would not say they are bad per-say, a good diet in fact. But it does conflict with logic of a Diabetic. I know a low carb diet works I tried one and lost weight with it. So the proof of the pudding would be in the eating (pardon the Pun guy's) but you will get used to me it's my safety net.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
RoyG said:
Chuffed now, going to get me a meter, the menu thing I was given by the nurse has mostly, all those things which can be bad on it fruit wholemeal bread it's produced by the British Hypertension society ??? now while I have Hypertension I would not say they are bad per-say, a good diet in fact. But it does conflict with logic of a Diabetic. I know a low carb diet works I tried one and lost weight with it. So the proof of the pudding would be in the eating (pardon the Pun guy's) but you will get used to me it's my safety net.

Just as long as it's a low-carb pudding!

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
Hmmm well I guess my practice nurse is against me having a test meter refused point blank, said im making myself paranoid and she does not want me sticking myself 6 times a day it will serve no purpose at all and I would tell me nothing, when I mentioned Low carb diet she had another dicky fit and said just eat what you always do but cut out sweet stuff, wait untill you see dietician, as a low carb diet will leave you knackered and send colestrol through the roof, whole meal bread fruit low fat stuff. Kind of makes you wonder where they get the script from. To me the low carb diet really does make sense and Andreas Eenfeldt seems to be talking perfect science in his talk. will the NHS ever get there I think not, not even when the proof is right in front of them they seem totally unwilling to try, I remember when I told my Doctor I was trying the Atkins diet, he said it was mad and will not work, I needed to be on one of those calorie counting diets like weight watchers. How patronising they all seem to be. every one is stupid bar them.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
RoyG said:
Hmmm well I guess my practice nurse is against me having a test meter refused point blank, said im making myself paranoid and she does not want me sticking myself 6 times a day it will serve no purpose at all and I would tell me nothing, when I mentioned Low carb diet she had another dicky fit and said just eat what you always do but cut out sweet stuff, wait untill you see dietician, as a low carb diet will leave you knackered and send colestrol through the roof, whole meal bread fruit low fat stuff. Kind of makes you wonder where they get the script from. To me the low carb diet really does make sense and Andreas Eenfeldt seems to be talking perfect science in his talk. will the NHS ever get there I think not, not even when the proof is right in front of them they seem totally unwilling to try, I remember when I told my Doctor I was trying the Atkins diet, he said it was mad and will not work, I needed to be on one of those calorie counting diets like weight watchers. How patronising they all seem to be. every one is stupid bar them.

:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

So:
  1. Don't test your blood
  2. Eat lots of grains
  3. Eat lots of fruit
  4. Eat low fat
  5. Don't eat sugar

Apart from the last bit, which is half right, I couldn't think of worse advice to give to a diabetic. I'm getting more and more certain that the NHS has a secret plot to kill off T2 Diabetics so that we don't collect on our pensions.

The cholesterol thing is very, very, disappointing. It seems like they have no idea that "dietary carbohydrate restriction is the single most effective method (except for total starvation) of reducing triglycerides, and is as effective as any intervention, including most drugs, at increasing HDL and reducing the number of small-dense LDL particles. Beyond lipid markers, carbohydrate restriction improves all of the features of metabolic syndrome."

I'm very angry on your behalf. If I ever get anything seriously wrong with me, I'm going to have a hard time trusting the Docs.

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
These HCP's remind me of the 'Talking action man commando' toys that I played with as a kid-Y'know,the ones you pull the cord and they have limited 'set' phrases,no matter where in the country you bought it...except you don't pull the cord-THEY DO!! :crazy:

MaryJ

Roy

your results will speak volumes.

Be thankful you found this site, as I am, it's the bl**dy thousands/millions??? of poor bu***rs I feel sorry for, who either just think their HCP's are Gods or have no access to the internet.

Mary x

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
Well MaryJ your so right, when I said the diet sheet had BHS on it she went silent for a moment and then said well it's all to do with circulation, she also went silent when I mentioned all the diet information was done 10 years ago and I thought it could be out of touch with latest findings. I tried to explain that as an intelligent human being I would like to understand the mechanics of Diabetes and having the meter would afford me that knowledge to know that if I ate something I can see if it is spiking my blood sugar, but still to no avail. I am not bothered about the test meter I can buy one myself, I am more concerned with the downright ignorance and lack of willingness to fully support a patient who shows A/ an interest in understanding what's going on, B/ The will to want to improve oneself, C/ Try something different from the script they have, it must be worth the effort even it it did go pear shaped after time, what more damage can it do if they are monitoring the results. I would not mind but she told me her own husband has type 2, maybe she wants to kill him????